INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New Raspberry pi 4 anounced

• Thank you received: 3
Here is a 10 minute stress test of my Pi4 in a FLIRC case running the Stellar Mate beta OS. Never rising above 56c, this is better than my 'active' cooling case with a fan.

The following user(s) said Thank You: giorgio
4 years 7 months ago #42402

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
With the modified case I posted about before, I am getting around 60 degrees typically
4 years 7 months ago #42404

• Thank you received: 3
That's the idle temp? Seems high. I idle at 41c and it took pegging the 4 cores at 100% for ten minutes to get to 56c

I can't recommend this case enough. It's made by one dude in California who quit his job to just machine these cases.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Kevin J Ware.
4 years 7 months ago #42405

• Thank you received: 20

Replied by giorgio on topic New Raspberry pi 4 anounced

I see from the screenshot memory utilisation at 22.6% or 884.2 MiB.
Is this what KStars and INDI use?
Would a 2GB Pi4 be enough?
4 years 7 months ago #42431

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic New Raspberry pi 4 anounced

I would personally recommend 4Gb if you can get it. It will help with handling incoming images/FITS files. Avoid the use of a swap partition if you can as it is hard on SD cards. With only 2 GB ZRam could be implemented to make up a shortfall.
4 years 7 months ago #42455

• Thank you received: 420
I agree with lhoujin. My experience with Ekos over the past 2 years is “the more memory, the better”.

Wouter
4 years 7 months ago #42465

All of my pis have zram enabled, no matter which os they are running. My pi 4 is 4gb and has zram enabled giving it close to 8gb ram effectively
4 years 7 months ago #42466

• Thank you received: 27
I have an 8MP mono CCD camera and 1GB without zram is good enough for Ekos + PHD as long as I don't run Chrome browser. With my PI4 which has 2GB RAM and no zram, I have plenty of memory. Make sure that you enable System monitor on Mate panel which shows both CPU and memory so you can monitor memory closely. Keep in mind that Linux reports memory usage in a very confusing fashion - it considers buffers and caches as non-free memory even though it can be used if the system runs out of memory. In Mate panel buffers and caches are shown as light green.
4 years 7 months ago #42470

• Thank you received: 40
I'm seeing 104F/40C with the fan blowing in (out, I get about 8 degrees warmer). I haven't patched the new firmware yet.

Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by David Tate.
4 years 7 months ago #42491

• Thank you received: 140

Hmmm, the case fan should be pulling the air into the case through the heatsink and out, so the fan should blow out of the case... well mine does anyway and does not go above 52 degrees... :)
4 years 7 months ago #42498

• Thank you received: 40

Yeah, I've heard that. I tried both ways and tested the temperatures and I get about 8 degrees cooler with the fan blowing in. Now I do keep my house at 72 degrees with the air conditioning, but the test was done with the same room temps.
4 years 7 months ago #42500

Would not blowing in be more likely to bring in dust/debris? Of course air still comes in to replace the outgoing air in that configuration, but it is lower velocity.
4 years 7 months ago #42508

Time to create page: 0.579 seconds