INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New Raspberry pi 4 anounced

• Thank you received: 31

Replied by Marc on topic New Raspberry pi 4 anounced

In my experience, the choice of direction determines where the inevitable dust build-up will occur. Dust seems to accumulate wherever the air enters the case.

With fans blowing in, you tend to get the most dust build up right in front of the fan. You wouldn't want this happening on the heat sink of your CPU, as the dust acts like an insulating blanket.

On the other hand, with fans blowing out, you get dust in the case near every possible way for air to get in.

Probably the best design I've seen involves having two fans, one blowing in and the other out. The exhaust fan sits near the heat sink of the CPU to ensure good air flow there, w/o the dust problem, and the other fan pulls air into the case to keep the pressure in the case high enough to prevent sucking air (and dust) in through all the other openings.

- Marc
4 years 7 months ago #42539

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 40

No real worries about dust, more about bugs ;) (and not the Linux kind). It's a small enough computer a quick blast of compressed air will clean it fast enough.

I let it run all day in the house with all the Sim components and DSS colored on... and the hottest it got was:
111F/44C with the house at 72F.

My real concern is heat, so with my temps looking good, I think I won't do that new firmware patch until the USB3.0 bugs are worked out.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by David Tate.
4 years 7 months ago #42540

• Thank you received: 4
Hoi Guys

WHere can i find the script for the PI4 on rasbian? i thinkl i missed it , sorry for that.
ALo other question where do you Guys save image on the mini SD or add USB or small SSD?

Chris
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Chris Alberts.
4 years 7 months ago #42554

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic New Raspberry pi 4 anounced

There are a few setup scripts going around, but this is the one I am working with. It is a work in progress mind you.
www.indilib.org/forum/general/5524-astro...scripts-revised.html
You need to write the image to an SD card with disk imaging software such as Etcher or WinDiskImager. Be very very cautious that you are 100% certain you have the correct disk selected before you write any images.
4 years 7 months ago #42556

• Thank you received: 809
One thing I like about Etcher is that it usually gets the disk correct. A few years ago, before I started using Etcher, I used dd from the command line to flash the image to the pi. In that program you really really really have to be careful. It is called dd (disk destroyer) for a reason. . . Etcher is safer in that regard.
4 years 7 months ago #42562

• Thank you received: 40

I bought my Stellarmate OS image from stellarmate.comSt I tried installing it my self and spend way to long trying to figure it out. Said, what the heck...Bought it from SM and was up and running in a few minutes (I think like 30 minutes) and I had a fully working system. And you really can't beat this team developing it.

Oh the StellarMate OS image is at: www.stellarmate.com/products/stellarmate-os.html
4 years 7 months ago #42566

Thanks for the link, i will check it out when my RP4 arrives its in pre order. On other thing when i use my mac with Etcher it seem that i can't any more re use my micro sd it looks like its locked did any one has de same experiance?

Chris
4 years 7 months ago #42567

Thanks megaddo, i know, but i am able to do the install by my self i did writen it down. for RASPIAN KSTAR doen't seem te work or is dat change see by download under RP the remarks, is that still trough

Chris
4 years 7 months ago #42568

• Thank you received: 31

Replied by Paul on topic New Raspberry pi 4 anounced

Chris, it is not clear from your post how you are trying to access the microSD card.
It may be held by another process so you should unmount it first - sudo umount /directory path.
On Raspbian the program that is on the menu used to unmount it automatically but it has stopped doing this so you need to do it yourself.

Paul
4 years 7 months ago #42569

Paul

i had several time that when i like to create the clean install the SD looks to be locked Unmount because of the installation already on the SD .I have no idea why this is

I load than the umbunto-mate via etcher, if the SD is new it has no problem but after than i am not able to burn save back the backup img file or a clean umbunto mate install with etcher, it looks like write protected.

Did you have that kind of issue also, how do you back up your images via windows.

please can you explean how you do backup and restore img from and to SD, on windows who do you create your backup

Chris
4 years 6 months ago #42594

• Thank you received: 12
Chris,
You might give the official SD formatter a try.

www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Jeff
4 years 6 months ago #42595

• Thank you received: 3
Using StellarMate's hacked and slashed Raspberry 4 image, how could I use a really, really fast [400/read 400ms/write] USB 3.1 flash to improve performance? I wish I could just boot from it, but I am skittish/not sure it is possible on this image.
4 years 6 months ago #42597

Time to create page: 1.126 seconds