INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI

• Thank you received: 0

INDI was created by David Estridge

I was reading posts for new users. It said INDI si for Macs. Is that Macs only? (in which case might be the problem with hooking my mac book to the scope. This is a PC that is used only for the telescope. Do I need the INDI driver for my CEM 60/PC connection?
4 years 9 months ago #40529

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic INDI

INdI is for Linux only, it does not run on windows.. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Estridge
4 years 9 months ago #40559

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic INDI

INDI drivers/server runs on Linux and Mac. But INDI clients are cross platform with support on Windows, Linux and Mac.
4 years 9 months ago #40560

• Thank you received: 138

Replied by Chris Rowland on topic INDI

Is there a fundamental technical reason why an INDI server cannot run on a Windows system? Some vital component that is implemented in Unix but not Windows maybe?
4 years 9 months ago #40562

• Thank you received: 812

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic INDI

Yes there is a good reason, INDI is a command line tool that runs in a Unix like environment. Windows or even its “command prompt” is not “POSIX” compliant.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/POSIX

That said, as you will see in the link, there are ways of running an environment on windows that could certainly compile and run INDI in them. I have tested a couple of them myself as an experiment.

Running a virtual Linux machine, such as virtual box, or dual booting windows works extremely well. And you can do that right now if you want to.

Windows subsystem for Linux has a lot of promise. It installs and runs INDI perfectly. But it doesn’t support usb yet.

Cygwin can build INDI and run some of the most basic drivers, but it has very little support for most drivers because they would have to release a whole new binary file and/or sdk for Cygwin because of its peculiarities.

Those are the only ones I have tried.
4 years 9 months ago #40579

Time to create page: 0.483 seconds