INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Trouble Linking Libraries

• Thank you received: 3
I am currently trying to write code in C++ to control my telescope. I was able to follow the instructions on github to install libindi with cmake but I am having trouble running the tutorials with my own cmake file. I keep getting undefined references to all the functions in libindi even though it appears to be linked properly.

this is my error log.

CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/telescope/functions.cpp.o: In function `main':
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:19: multiple definition of `main'
CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/main.cpp.o:/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/main.cpp:37: first defined here
CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/main.cpp.o: In function `main':
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/main.cpp:74: undefined reference to `test()'
CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/telescope/functions.cpp.o: In function `MyClient::newDevice(INDI::BaseDevice*)':
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:84: undefined reference to `INDI::BaseDevice::getDeviceName()'
CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/telescope/functions.cpp.o: In function `MyClient::newNumber(_INumberVectorProperty*)':
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:65: undefined reference to `INDI::BaseDevice::getNumber(char const*)'
CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/telescope/functions.cpp.o: In function `MyClient::newProperty(INDI::Property*)':
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:94: undefined reference to `INDI::Property::getDeviceName() const'
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:94: undefined reference to `INDI::Property::getName() const'
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:100: undefined reference to `INDI::Property::getDeviceName() const'
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:100: undefined reference to `INDI::Property::getName() const'
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:102: undefined reference to `INDI::BaseDevice::isConnected()'
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:46: undefined reference to `INDI::BaseDevice::getNumber(char const*)'
CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/telescope/functions.cpp.o: In function `MyClient::MyClient()':
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:35: undefined reference to `INDI::BaseClient::BaseClient()'
CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/telescope/functions.cpp.o: In function `MyClient::setTemperature()':
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:46: undefined reference to `INDI::BaseDevice::getNumber(char const*)'
CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/telescope/functions.cpp.o: In function `MyClient::takeExposure()':
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:65: undefined reference to `INDI::BaseDevice::getNumber(char const*)'
CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/telescope/functions.cpp.o: In function `MyClient::newMessage(INDI::BaseDevice*, int)':
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:132: undefined reference to `INDI::BaseDevice::getDeviceName()'
CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/telescope/functions.cpp.o: In function `MyClient::newNumber(_INumberVectorProperty*)':
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:77: undefined reference to `INDI::BaseClient::sendNewNumber(_INumberVectorProperty*)'
CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/telescope/functions.cpp.o: In function `MyClient::newProperty(INDI::Property*)':
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:56: undefined reference to `INDI::BaseClient::sendNewNumber(_INumberVectorProperty*)'
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:96: undefined reference to `INDI::BaseClient::connectDevice(char const*)'
CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/telescope/functions.cpp.o: In function `MyClient::setTemperature()':
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:56: undefined reference to `INDI::BaseClient::sendNewNumber(_INumberVectorProperty*)'
CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/telescope/functions.cpp.o: In function `MyClient::takeExposure()':
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:77: undefined reference to `INDI::BaseClient::sendNewNumber(_INumberVectorProperty*)'
CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/telescope/functions.cpp.o: In function `MyClient::~MyClient()':
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.hpp:24: undefined reference to `INDI::BaseClient::~BaseClient()'
CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/telescope/functions.cpp.o: In function `MyClient::~MyClient()':
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.hpp:24: undefined reference to `INDI::BaseClient::~BaseClient()'
CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/telescope/functions.cpp.o: In function `std::unique_ptr<MyClient, std::default_delete<MyClient> >::~unique_ptr()':
CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/telescope/functions.cpp.o: In function `main':
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:20: undefined reference to `INDI::BaseClient::setServer(char const*, unsigned int)'
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:22: undefined reference to `INDI::BaseClient::watchDevice(char const*)'
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:24: undefined reference to `INDI::BaseClient::connectServer()'
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:26: undefined reference to `INDI::BaseClient::setBLOBMode(BLOBHandling, char const*, char const*)'
CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/telescope/functions.cpp.o: In function `__static_initialization_and_destruction_0':
/home/cassidy/CLionProjects/PalskiScope/src/telescope/functions.cpp:35: undefined reference to `INDI::BaseClient::BaseClient()'
CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/telescope/functions.cpp.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTI8MyClient[_ZTI8MyClient]+0x10): undefined reference to `typeinfo for INDI::BaseClient'
CMakeFiles/pandaScope.dir/src/telescope/functions.cpp.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8MyClient[_ZTV8MyClient]+0x80): undefined reference to `INDI::BaseClient::newUniversalMessage(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >)
4 years 7 months ago #41709

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

You're trying to make a client? Ok, share your CMakelists.txt
4 years 7 months ago #41731

Replied by Greg on topic Trouble Linking Libraries

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.4 FATAL_ERROR)
project(pandaScope)

SET(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_CFLAGS} -O3 -Wall")
set(CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD 17)
set(CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD_REQUIRED ON)
set(CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/bin)
set(CMAKE_MODULE_PATH ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/CMakeModules)

find_package(OpenCV REQUIRED)
find_package(GSL REQUIRED)
find_package(Eigen3 3.3 REQUIRED NO_MODULE)
find_package(Boost REQUIRED)
find_package(INDI 1.7 REQUIRED)

add_library(cspice STATIC IMPORTED)

set_property(TARGET
cspice
PROPERTY
IMPORTED_LOCATION
/usr/lib/cspice.a)

INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES( ${Boost_INCLUDE_DIR} )

include_directories(${INDI_INCLUDE_DIR})

IF (CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE MATCHES COVERAGE)
include(CodeCoverage)
APPEND_COVERAGE_COMPILER_FLAGS()
ENDIF (CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE MATCHES COVERAGE)

set(SOURCE ${SOURCE}
src/main.cpp
src/focus/focuser.cpp
src/detection/detection.cpp
src/iod/state_generation.cpp
src/iod/lambert_gooding.cpp
src/batch/lambert.cpp
src/batch/batch.cpp
src/utilities/conversions.cpp
src/utilities/kernels.cpp
src/batch/propagator.cpp
src/telescope/functions.cpp
src/telescope/operation.cpp)

set(HEADERS ${HEADERS}
src/includes.hpp
src/focus/focuser.hpp
src/detection/detection.hpp
src/iod/state_generation.hpp
src/iod/lambert_gooding.hpp
dependencies/cxxopts.hpp
src/batch/lambert.hpp
src/batch/batch.hpp
src/utilities/conversions.hpp
src/utilities/vectors.hpp
src/utilities/kernels.hpp
src/batch/propagator.hpp
src/telescope/functions.hpp
src/telescope/operation.hpp)

add_subdirectory(testing)

add_executable(pandaScope ${SOURCE} ${HEADERS})

target_link_libraries(pandaScope ${OpenCV_LIBS})
target_link_libraries(pandaScope usbp-1)
target_link_libraries(pandaScope GSL::gsl GSL::gslcblas)
target_link_libraries(pandaScope Eigen3::Eigen)
target_link_libraries(pandaScope LINK_PUBLIC ${Boost_LIBRARIES})
target_link_libraries(pandaScope cspice)
target_link_libraries(pandaScope ${INDI_LIBRARIES})
4 years 7 months ago #41768

Thanks. Please confirm whether you are developing a Driver to communicate with hardware or a Client that communicates with INDI server?
4 years 7 months ago #41769

I am trying to create a client that communicates with the server.
4 years 7 months ago #41778

You need to add these:
find_package(Nova REQUIRED)
include_directories(${NOVA_INCLUDE_DIR})

Then link with INDI Client library, not INDI_LIBRARIES which are used by drivers.
target_link_libraries(pandaScope ${INDI_CLIENT_LIBRARIES} ${NOVA_LIBRARIES} z)
4 years 7 months ago #41781

I added the lines to my CMakeLists but I am still getting build errors. Here is my updated CMake file

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.4 FATAL_ERROR)
project(pandaScope)

SET(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_CFLAGS} -O3 -Wall")
set(CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD 17)
set(CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD_REQUIRED ON)
set(CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/bin)
set(CMAKE_MODULE_PATH ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/CMakeModules)

find_package(OpenCV REQUIRED)
find_package(GSL REQUIRED)
find_package(Eigen3 3.3 REQUIRED NO_MODULE)
find_package(Boost REQUIRED)
find_package(INDI 1.7 REQUIRED)
find_package(Nova REQUIRED)
find_package(CFITSIO REQUIRED)

add_library(cspice STATIC IMPORTED)

set_property(TARGET
cspice
PROPERTY
IMPORTED_LOCATION
/usr/lib/cspice.a)

INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES( ${Boost_INCLUDE_DIR} )
include_directories(${INDI_INCLUDE_DIR})
include_directories(${NOVA_INCLUDE_DIR})
include_directories(${CFITSIO_INCLUDE_DIR})

IF (CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE MATCHES COVERAGE)
include(CodeCoverage)
APPEND_COVERAGE_COMPILER_FLAGS()
ENDIF (CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE MATCHES COVERAGE)

set(SOURCE ${SOURCE}
src/main.cpp
src/focus/focuser.cpp
src/detection/detection.cpp
src/iod/state_generation.cpp
src/iod/lambert_gooding.cpp
src/batch/lambert.cpp
src/batch/batch.cpp
src/utilities/conversions.cpp
src/utilities/kernels.cpp
src/batch/propagator.cpp
src/telescope/functions.cpp
src/telescope/operation.cpp)

set(HEADERS ${HEADERS}
src/includes.hpp
src/focus/focuser.hpp
src/detection/detection.hpp
src/iod/state_generation.hpp
src/iod/lambert_gooding.hpp
dependencies/cxxopts.hpp
src/batch/lambert.hpp
src/batch/batch.hpp
src/utilities/conversions.hpp
src/utilities/vectors.hpp
src/utilities/kernels.hpp
src/batch/propagator.hpp
src/telescope/functions.hpp
src/telescope/operation.hpp)

add_subdirectory(testing)

add_executable(pandaScope ${SOURCE} ${HEADERS})

target_link_libraries(pandaScope ${OpenCV_LIBS})
target_link_libraries(pandaScope usbp-1)
target_link_libraries(pandaScope GSL::gsl GSL::gslcblas)
target_link_libraries(pandaScope Eigen3::Eigen)
target_link_libraries(pandaScope LINK_PUBLIC ${Boost_LIBRARIES})
target_link_libraries(pandaScope cspice)
target_link_libraries(pandaScope ${INDI_CLIENT_LIBRARIES})
target_link_libraries(pandaScope ${INDI_LIBRARIES})
target_link_libraries(pandaScope ${NOVA_LIBRARIES})
target_link_libraries(pandaScope ${CFITSIO_LIBRARIES})
4 years 7 months ago #41782

remove INDI_LIBRARIES

is your project hosted somewhere? I can clone it and see if there are any errors.
4 years 7 months ago #41790

I did remove INDI_LIBRARIES and still had the same error. I unfortunately not hosting this anywhere. Could the issue be stemming from this being the client tutorial code? Does it require information from the other tutorials? I was able to run all of the tutorials individually, but I am having issues putting that code in my project as a framework to follow.
4 years 7 months ago #41793

Not sure, it should work. Are you getting exactly the same linkage errors as your first post? Try moving ${INDI_CLIENT_LIBRARIES} to be the first (or last) library to be linked with. Sometimes order does matter.
4 years 7 months ago #41806

Moving the INDI_CLIENT_LIBRARIES to be first or last didn't solve anything. Removing INDI_LIBRARIES seems to generate more errors. I am attaching error logs that include my cmake lists file. I will also attach my source and header files that include the client code to make sure I'm not missing anything there.
4 years 7 months ago #41814
Attachments:

Can you make a minimal project and test the CMake and then zip it and share that? If the minimal project produces the same issue, then I can identify what's wrong and tell you how to proceed.
4 years 7 months ago #41822

Time to create page: 0.934 seconds