INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Joystick

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Andrew on topic Joystick

Wvreeven - hello, thanks for that suggestion. I'd discovered that popup already and had tried it using my iPad mirroring my macbook's screen. It works in a kind of fashion. A bit unresponsive, but that's probably down to the connection between my ipad and the Mac.
4 years 8 months ago #41846

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Tom on topic Joystick

Hi, I am wondering if the joystick is actually on a Linux (Raspi) as a indi_joystick driver server, then shouldn't kstars/ekos client on iMAC be able to use it. Isn't it just XML indi protocol.
4 years 6 months ago #43508

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Joystick

It uses Linux joystick API. For the driver to work on Mac, someone must add the MacOS joystick/gamepad equivalent calls
4 years 6 months ago #43518

Hi, I am using the joystick driver on a Linux system, but was looking how to connect to it from the iMAC, so I don't need the driver yo be on the iMAC.

At first, When setting up my remote devices on the iMAC there was not a selection for joystick.

Not sure when, but I think after I connected to my remote server, it appeared under INDI Webcam Joystick. It has a nifty icon and hovering over it displays
"Available as REMOTE driver."

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks,
Oh, BTW, This is using Kstars 3.3.6 on the iMAC.
4 years 6 months ago #43545

I am using PlayStation PS4 as my joystick on a remote Raspi. Under linux (jstest) the left joystick is #1, right joystick is #2, and the left digital joystick is #3.

Under INDI Control Panel Monitor the left joystick works fine. Manipulating the right joystick give garbled results showing up under #2 and #3. And the left digital joystick doesn't show up under #3. Note, all the Axes values shown in Monitor are correct though. And the buttons are correct. So I figure the algorithm for calculating the Joystick values from the Axis values has a bug somewhere.

Thinking perhaps I am running old joystick driver on Raspi, I did a git pull from master for the latest everything. Same results.

Looking at the source code it seems to me that the joystick algorithms perhaps assumes 2-axis joysticks, where the game controllers are 3-axis joysticks. X-Y-Trigger.

So I added some work around based on reading the "name" given at onConnect. In this case the name is "Sony Interactive Entertainment Wireless Controller".
I assume all PS3 and PS4 controllers return a name with "Controller" in it. Not knowing if XBOX sends something similar. Does anybody know what XBOX returns?
Hoping they return something with Controller in it... So I am looking for the word "Controller" in the name. If it is, I set a boolean PS3=true. Then in the rest of the driver code if PS3 is true I skip the current code and substitute the new code. Testing now. I will push this up to github. I am looking for someone with a XBOX controller so I can make that work too.
4 years 6 months ago #43550

I just obtained a X-BOX game controller and it responds with name "Microsoft X-Box One S pad". So looking just for "Controller won't work.
Also, the position order of the buttons for 3 and 4 is flipped
PS4 button #
X-Box button #
X(Cross) #1 - Bottom of Diamond pattern - A #1
Circle #2 - Right of Diamond pattern - B #2
Triangle #3 - Top of Diamond pattern - Y #4
Square #4- Left of Diamond pattern - X #3

Not sure how people would prefer the button orders, but under PMC8 the STOP is #1 (Cross or A); Park is #2 (Circle or B); Un-park is #3 (Triangle or X).

For now I am just testing name for presence of either "Controller" or "X-Box and assigning a boolean PS1 to true.
4 years 6 months ago #43573

Ahh! Setting boolean PS3 to true, Not PS1.
4 years 6 months ago #43581

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Francisco Labrador on topic Joystick

Hi,

After a long time "disconnected" due to work issues, I am now here again!

A simple question related to Joystick:

I already have a PS3 wireless control and I wonder if it is possible to connect it to my RPI/Stellarmate wirelessly. I understand that is it possible by cable (following your instructions) but I don't know whether I can use it without cable. As per your comments with yours (Thustmaster wireless) it seems to be possible, but please let me know how to do it.

Thanks!
SkyWatcher AZEQ6-Pro
Meade SC8 UHTC
TMB 80/480 LZOS APO
Orion ShortTube 80/400
APM 50 sight & find
Meade ETX70-AT
QHY183M
ZWO ASI290MC
StarlightXpress Filter Wheel
SestoSenso Focuser
Pegasus Pocket Power Box
... More coming...
4 years 3 days ago #51879

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Paul Mogg on topic Joystick

Hi there Jasem,
I just wanted to ask whether or not Joystick support has been implemented yet on the Mac? I just found this thread. I'm on OSX 10.15.7 Catalina on a Macbook Pro.

I checked that the Xbox One controller I just got does work on the Mac. There is a system extension called "Xbox 360 Controllers" you can use it with to do so. Perhaps you know of some way to use it with that extension?

Unfortunately under Kstars I always get the same message "Driver indi_joystick was not found on the system. Please make sure the package that provides the "indi_joystick" binary is installed." ...when following the instructions on how to install a joystick from the INDI website.

Anyway, any update would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you,

p.s. I'd also just like to say how wonderful I think Kstars / EKOS is! I'm very new to Astronomy / Astrophotography, and very much appreciate this amazing suite of tools. It makes our lives so much easier as beginners on the Mac.
3 years 3 months ago #65659

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Joystick

Unfortunately, it's not implemented on Mac. Not sure what is involved exactly to add support to the driver as it currently written for Linux.
3 years 3 months ago #65759

• Thank you received: 120

Replied by Rick Bassham on topic Joystick

Might be able to use libsdl to interface with a joystick cross-platform. But that would require reworking the existing driver, or adding a new one in indi-3rdparty.

wiki.libsdl.org/CategoryGameController
3 years 3 months ago #65790

• Thank you received: 120

Replied by Rick Bassham on topic Joystick

If anyone wants to try out a gamepad driver for Mac, here you go: github.com/rickbassham/indi_gamepad

For some reason, I can't get KStars to connect to it when selecting it in the Aux list and running, but if I run indiserver manually on the mac with this driver, it works fine.

It works in linux as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
3 years 3 months ago #65846

Time to create page: 1.614 seconds