INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

AstroPi3 Scripts revised

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

Hold on, are you saying that as long as the PC I am connecting too is in turn connected to my internet router, either with WiFi or cable then it can get an address from that...as that would be it as am always connected to the router with the PC via WiFi....if that is the case then sorry...my bad.. :)
4 years 7 months ago #41915

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809

Correct. Try taking the pi to the middle of an observing field at a star party (one with no wifi or ethernet routers of course), then connect an ethernet cable between your laptop and the pi. In this case, DHCP is not available to give your computers IP addresses. They *might* give themselves self assigned IP addresses in the same range, but then again they might not. I experimented with my laptop to find the IP address range that it always self assigns with when there is no DHCP. Then I made sure to give the PI an IP address in that range with the static IP address we are talking about. Then when I am in the observing field, they are guaranteed to talk to one another over the ethernet cable. I can tell you that this has been absolutely crucial for me on a number of observing trips in the last couple of years. Sometimes I have had serious issues with my wifi, such as different dongles malfunctioning etc, or accidentally disconnecting the wifi network when trying to switch to another, and having the static IP on the PI has meant that all was not lost, I could just connect the ethernet cable and fix whatever the problems are. Or sometimes, I just said the heck with the wifi and did the rest of my imaging session with the ethernet cable. The static IP is a stable backup.
4 years 7 months ago #41918

Correct, if you haven't build big software packages a whole lot in the past, you might think there is something wrong with all the warnings that tend to print out. But the warnings are not errors because errors would stop the build. Warnings are things that the compiler thinks you might want to change in the code, but don't have to change and in fact sometimes it is flat out wrong. The things to be concerned about is if a software package prints out error messages and then doesn't install. If INDI and KStars built just fine, there should be no problem.
4 years 7 months ago #41919

So if you had the pi setup before the script changed config.txt, and you started it up in a headless state with no monitor of any type or anything plugged into the HDMI ports at all, are you able to change the resolution of the pi to whatever you want using XRDP? It doesn't default to some ridiculously small resolution? I find that with VNC, if you start it up without being connected to HDMI and the changes are not made in config.txt, then you get something like 800 x 600 or 640 x 480 and no other options. Also I looked at XRDP after you posted it here, is it true you get a new desktop each time you connect? So how could you log into the PI using XRDP, set up an imaging session in Ekos, then disconnect from the PI to save your laptop battery, and come back later to check on it? Wouldn't you get a new desktop and lose the old one with Ekos running in it?
4 years 7 months ago #41920

• Thank you received: 74
I have set up 1000's of networks,some very large and complex , over the years and I know my statement is true. :-)
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
4 years 7 months ago #41921

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

No your not able to change the res when running through XRDP, but when it starts it starts and defaults in 4K mode, which is the default setting for my monitor, that’s how it works, as that’s how it’s set in raspi config, unlike VNC that does show a stupid small resolution...
There is a setting in the rpi4 raspi config file that says to “set resolution to default of monitor” but does not work after script installed...

As for shutting down and getting a new desktop, I never do that as I use a desktop PC, so no battery to save, as all my imaging is done from my home obsy..

Am going to try the script again with the HDMI settings commented out and see if that helps...
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by AstroNerd.
4 years 7 months ago #41922

unlike VNC that does show a stupid small resolution...
There is a setting in the rpi4 raspi config file that says to “set resolution to default of monitor” but does not work after script installed...

Correct, my settings are intended to change that stupid small VNC resolution when headless to be something bigger, and can be whatever you set it to be in the config file. I choose to set it to about the same size as my laptop monitor so that is what the settings I put in there are meant to do. Once you specify the resolution you want in the config file though, yes you cannot change that resolution in the GUI, nor will it change based on the monitor. You could either comment it out as you said, or you could try specifying the resolution you want in the config file.
4 years 7 months ago #41926

You know what I just noticed? I thought it was odd when Astronerd mentioned that my settings made his ethernet connection not work. In fact I just went back and checked. On the Pi 3b, Pi 3b+, and the Odroid, when I plug in an ethernet cable it immediately gets an IP address from DHCP. Another words, on all those devices, running my script sets up the virtual ethernet Static IP and it doesn't interfere with getting a regular IP if available. But on the PI 4, for some reason, I have to change ethernet "devices" in the menu in order to switch to getting regular ethernet. So yes Astronerd is correct, on the Pi 4 something is different and the same settings that I used do not have the same effect, even though I switched to network manager and changed the settings just like in Ubuntu MATE. Let me investigate this. There must be something different. . .
4 years 7 months ago #41927

Nope, false alarm. I just restarted the pi and I found that this time it did get the ethernet IP from DHCP. In fact, as you can see here, it is carefully juggling two ethernet IP's (the first two green ones), including the static one, and two wifi devices (the second two green ones). And all connections work. Maybe you and I can do more testing to see when it does/doesn't properly get its IP from DHCP? It should work every time, it seems to do so on the other Pis.

4 years 7 months ago #41930
Attachments:

Ok not I think I see the case when it doesn't work and the one where it does. If the ethernet cable is plugged in when it boots, then it gets an IP for ethernet, but doesn't if you just plug in a cable after it has already booted. Can you confirm that this is correct?
4 years 7 months ago #41932

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Michael on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

To Avocette,
Yes, except it didn't. I lost the one clear night yesterday.
Everything connected and seemed well but my ZWO camera did not capture any image. I couldn't find the mistake and switched back to my astroberry but at that time the mount settings were so fucked up that I lost the whole night since I have to go to work today.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Michael.
4 years 7 months ago #41934

Astronerd,

This is very similar to my settings but he has a couple of extra lines. Possibly these will help:

askubuntu.com/questions/698624/how-to-us...erwise-use-static-ip
4 years 7 months ago #41935

Time to create page: 0.819 seconds