INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

AstroPi3 Scripts revised

• Thank you received: 74
I have set up 1000's of networks,some very large and complex , over the years and I know my statement is true. :-)
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
4 years 7 months ago #41921

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

No your not able to change the res when running through XRDP, but when it starts it starts and defaults in 4K mode, which is the default setting for my monitor, that’s how it works, as that’s how it’s set in raspi config, unlike VNC that does show a stupid small resolution...
There is a setting in the rpi4 raspi config file that says to “set resolution to default of monitor” but does not work after script installed...

As for shutting down and getting a new desktop, I never do that as I use a desktop PC, so no battery to save, as all my imaging is done from my home obsy..

Am going to try the script again with the HDMI settings commented out and see if that helps...
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by AstroNerd.
4 years 7 months ago #41922

• Thank you received: 809
unlike VNC that does show a stupid small resolution...
There is a setting in the rpi4 raspi config file that says to “set resolution to default of monitor” but does not work after script installed...

Correct, my settings are intended to change that stupid small VNC resolution when headless to be something bigger, and can be whatever you set it to be in the config file. I choose to set it to about the same size as my laptop monitor so that is what the settings I put in there are meant to do. Once you specify the resolution you want in the config file though, yes you cannot change that resolution in the GUI, nor will it change based on the monitor. You could either comment it out as you said, or you could try specifying the resolution you want in the config file.
4 years 7 months ago #41926

You know what I just noticed? I thought it was odd when Astronerd mentioned that my settings made his ethernet connection not work. In fact I just went back and checked. On the Pi 3b, Pi 3b+, and the Odroid, when I plug in an ethernet cable it immediately gets an IP address from DHCP. Another words, on all those devices, running my script sets up the virtual ethernet Static IP and it doesn't interfere with getting a regular IP if available. But on the PI 4, for some reason, I have to change ethernet "devices" in the menu in order to switch to getting regular ethernet. So yes Astronerd is correct, on the Pi 4 something is different and the same settings that I used do not have the same effect, even though I switched to network manager and changed the settings just like in Ubuntu MATE. Let me investigate this. There must be something different. . .
4 years 7 months ago #41927

Nope, false alarm. I just restarted the pi and I found that this time it did get the ethernet IP from DHCP. In fact, as you can see here, it is carefully juggling two ethernet IP's (the first two green ones), including the static one, and two wifi devices (the second two green ones). And all connections work. Maybe you and I can do more testing to see when it does/doesn't properly get its IP from DHCP? It should work every time, it seems to do so on the other Pis.

4 years 7 months ago #41930
Attachments:

Ok not I think I see the case when it doesn't work and the one where it does. If the ethernet cable is plugged in when it boots, then it gets an IP for ethernet, but doesn't if you just plug in a cable after it has already booted. Can you confirm that this is correct?
4 years 7 months ago #41932

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Michael on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

To Avocette,
Yes, except it didn't. I lost the one clear night yesterday.
Everything connected and seemed well but my ZWO camera did not capture any image. I couldn't find the mistake and switched back to my astroberry but at that time the mount settings were so fucked up that I lost the whole night since I have to go to work today.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Michael.
4 years 7 months ago #41934

Astronerd,

This is very similar to my settings but he has a couple of extra lines. Possibly these will help:

askubuntu.com/questions/698624/how-to-us...erwise-use-static-ip
4 years 7 months ago #41935

I thought you said everything built and installed ok? Did you test it at home? Do you have a ZWO 120 or 224? I actually tried it with both of those after building and they worked fine.
4 years 7 months ago #41936

• Thank you received: 50

Replied by Avocette on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

Always sorry when a clear night’s imaging is lost for some ‘technical’ reason. Presently here waiting for a clear night to try out the system live rather than a bunch of indoor rehearsals!
4 years 7 months ago #41959

• Thank you received: 50

Replied by Avocette on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

Hi Rob, I’ve now used your Raspbian script on a fresh installation on my RPi3B+ and all seems to be working correctly (indoors) so far. The script took quite a bit longer to run through, but subjectively the RPi4 and 3B+ installations ‘feel’ remarkably similar. I’m assuming that the most obvious difference between the two will be in the speed of storage of images with the 4 having better storage bandwidth, but would you anticipate any other differences in practical use?
I was until now a very satisfied Astroberry user, but am finding the WiFi hotspot/WLAN switching very convenient in your installation, and would rather stick to Raspbian on both devices if there’s no disadvantage. Any thoughts?
4 years 7 months ago #41961

That is good to know that it works on Raspbbian on the 3b+ as well. Yes I would expect the PI4 to be much faster. The speed though, mainly comes into play during the installation. For most imaging applications, you will be just fine on the 3b+ or even the 3b, since most of the time when imaging is spent waiting for images. Yes the file open/save/transfer speed will be better on the Pi4, but these are often more limited by wifi and I don't think it will be too big of a bottleneck. I am planning to run some tests myself to see how big of an impact it has, but I haven't done it yet.

I personally prefer using ubuntu -MATE for a Pi 3B or 3B+ rather than Raspbian (at least so far), although I did manage to set up the new script so it works a lot like my ubuntu-mate script. The biggest reason I prefer Ubuntu is its compatibility with the PPAs, so that you can more quickly install and set things up and its much much faster to update. If you compare running the new raspbian script to the ubuntu mate script on the same 3b+, I bet you will find the mate script goes much faster since it doesn't have to build software. If you like the way that the new script sets up raspbian and an astro imaging platform, then you probably will like how it sets up with ubuntu mate as well. I tried to make them very similar.
4 years 7 months ago #41970

Time to create page: 0.674 seconds