INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

AstroPi3 Scripts revised

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Michael on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

To Avocette,
Yes, except it didn't. I lost the one clear night yesterday.
Everything connected and seemed well but my ZWO camera did not capture any image. I couldn't find the mistake and switched back to my astroberry but at that time the mount settings were so fucked up that I lost the whole night since I have to go to work today.
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Michael.
4 years 8 months ago #41934

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 812
Astronerd,

This is very similar to my settings but he has a couple of extra lines. Possibly these will help:

askubuntu.com/questions/698624/how-to-us...erwise-use-static-ip
4 years 8 months ago #41935

I thought you said everything built and installed ok? Did you test it at home? Do you have a ZWO 120 or 224? I actually tried it with both of those after building and they worked fine.
4 years 8 months ago #41936

• Thank you received: 50

Replied by Avocette on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

Always sorry when a clear night’s imaging is lost for some ‘technical’ reason. Presently here waiting for a clear night to try out the system live rather than a bunch of indoor rehearsals!
4 years 8 months ago #41959

• Thank you received: 50

Replied by Avocette on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

Hi Rob, I’ve now used your Raspbian script on a fresh installation on my RPi3B+ and all seems to be working correctly (indoors) so far. The script took quite a bit longer to run through, but subjectively the RPi4 and 3B+ installations ‘feel’ remarkably similar. I’m assuming that the most obvious difference between the two will be in the speed of storage of images with the 4 having better storage bandwidth, but would you anticipate any other differences in practical use?
I was until now a very satisfied Astroberry user, but am finding the WiFi hotspot/WLAN switching very convenient in your installation, and would rather stick to Raspbian on both devices if there’s no disadvantage. Any thoughts?
4 years 8 months ago #41961

That is good to know that it works on Raspbbian on the 3b+ as well. Yes I would expect the PI4 to be much faster. The speed though, mainly comes into play during the installation. For most imaging applications, you will be just fine on the 3b+ or even the 3b, since most of the time when imaging is spent waiting for images. Yes the file open/save/transfer speed will be better on the Pi4, but these are often more limited by wifi and I don't think it will be too big of a bottleneck. I am planning to run some tests myself to see how big of an impact it has, but I haven't done it yet.

I personally prefer using ubuntu -MATE for a Pi 3B or 3B+ rather than Raspbian (at least so far), although I did manage to set up the new script so it works a lot like my ubuntu-mate script. The biggest reason I prefer Ubuntu is its compatibility with the PPAs, so that you can more quickly install and set things up and its much much faster to update. If you compare running the new raspbian script to the ubuntu mate script on the same 3b+, I bet you will find the mate script goes much faster since it doesn't have to build software. If you like the way that the new script sets up raspbian and an astro imaging platform, then you probably will like how it sets up with ubuntu mate as well. I tried to make them very similar.
4 years 8 months ago #41970

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Michael on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

My Guider is a 120 but my imaging camera is a 1600 cooled mono. Didn't get to try guiding since the 1600 connected perfectly but didn't seem to respond.
I also prefer Ubuntu Mate but unfortunately, it is not available for RP4 jet.
4 years 8 months ago #41979

• Thank you received: 565

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

I'm not saying that you can't image on the 3b+, I did for the last 6 months and it was fine, but I have to say that, for me, the RPi 4 for imaging is so much faster, I couldn't go back to a 3b+.
Differences:
- image download speed (usb3) is much quicker (camera to sdcard)
- writing from sdcard to usbstick (usb3) is quicker, though, I just ordered a fast usb card,
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU8TZRV/ref...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and will try to write from camera directly to that, skipping a step.
- general responsiveness to the linux windowing environment is much better
- I think on my Pi3b+, PHD2 would occasionally max-out the cpu, causing occasional freezing. Not too often, but noticeable
- I'll bet the networking (e.g. running VNC and doing the encoding to send the screen image across the network) is quicker too (just saying, no real measurements) making everything feel much more snappy

My entire stack runs on the Raspberry Pi, and I just use a laptop for the VNC monitor/keyboard/mouse.
Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avocette
4 years 8 months ago #41980

Ok I messed around with the networking issue for awhile yesterday. I tried for a number of hours yesterday to get it working with /etc/network/interfaces, but it didn't want to work. Adding the static IP meant that it needed an ethernet connection on boot to work with DHCP. Hot plugging didn't work with the static link local IP address.

Today, I tried something different. I tried a network manager solution. Since I was installing network manager anyway and since it is much more configurable, I was able to do a lot more with it. I added two profiles to network manager, one for DHCP Ethernet and one for Link Local Ethernet using the static IP. I gave the DHCP more priority so it tries to connect first to DHCP any time a cable is plugged in, and when that fails a couple of times with a limit of 5 seconds per time, it will switch instead to the other profile and offer a static Link Local address for the observing field. This solution is better because it now shows the network traffic and IP address properly no matter which profile you are connected with. It is totally automatic and switches back and forth depending on how you are connected. And since it is all done with network manager, the user can see and manage it in the GUI if desired. Plus it seems more reliable so far as well!

Please test this! You can just re-run whichever setup script you used and it will change to the new settings. I tested this on both Raspbian and Ubuntu-MATE so far and it works well for each.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Archer, Clive Stachon
4 years 8 months ago #42015

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

It works for me, but as before when it had a static IP being set it knocks off the internet on any WiFi connection, I realise that this won’t matter in the field, but I sometimes use a cable at home for a good connection and keep the WiFi connected to my home WiFi for either internet or astrometry solving..
Not sure why this happens, but as soon as I disable the static IP on eth0 the internet on WiFi then returns...

I got the 4K working but through a completely different method as none of the options you suggested worked..there is a setting in raspi-config on the rpi4 for using 4K 60hz mode, and for some reason when enabled it’s allowed the 4K resolution to come back into the menu... :)
4 years 8 months ago #42033

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

Here is a picture of your conkyrc file after I used the script, as you can see I have changed the xftfont123 size to 12, and it makes no difference at all, in fact no matter what size I put here it makes no difference to the conky screen, nor do any other settings I change...and on my 4k monitor this is much too small...
Any ideas...
4 years 8 months ago #42045
Attachments:

Yes as I mentioned before if you look down below that in the settings there are a few places where it says “font Ariel bold size=10” and stuff like that. That would need to be changed too
4 years 8 months ago #42052

Time to create page: 2.491 seconds