INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

AstroPi3 Scripts revised

• Thank you received: 1
Three things:

1) KStars didn’t save my location, Windows size etc. Ekos did. Turned out that the users .config folder was set to root user and group. Running “chown pi.pi -R .config” did the trick. Maybe this should be included in the script?

2) I’ve set up static ip in the script to 169.254.0.1 (my laptop was 169.254.x.y). But it doesn’t work when connecting my laptop to the Pi with an Ethernet cable. I get an IP adress, but I can’t make any connections to the Pi (VNC, SSH or even Ping). WiFi works perfectly, normal LAN works perfectly and I guess that Hotspot works too (haven’t tried it). Using WiFi I can see the Pi gets the correct IP on the direct link etc, but it doesn’t work.

3) (not really script related I guess) But when the Pi is connected to my local LAN using Ethernet it also connects via WiFi. Priority for WiFi set to 0, Ethernet to 1, HotSpot -1 (I think) and Direct link to 5. Why is WiFi also enabled?

Anders
SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod with EQDIR cable
ZWO ASI294MC Pro imaging camera
QHY5L-II-C guide camera on 50mm guidescope
DeepSkyDad AF3 autofocuser
Raspberry Pi 4 4GB running Kstars/Ekos
4 years 6 months ago #42637

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809

1. That is very helpful!! I will be glad to check that. There is always room for improvement.
2. Try experimenting a little. Try getting away from/turning off all wifi connections and see if that makes any difference. For instance, go out into a field where neither your laptop or your pi can get wifi and see if it works. I know it works fine for me most of the time, but I'm only one test case. Let me know if you find anything out.
3. I think the priorities are for setting which network connects on which interface. They are independent. So for instance I have two wifi networks on one of my pi's and when there is no internet, it will host 5GHz on one antenna, then it will host 2.4GHz on the other. So you could get your pi to connect to your home router with 3 different interfaces and 3 different IP addresses potentially. You can turn off/disable the ones you don't want to use right now using network manager. I haven't yet confirmed whether it helps or hurts to have more than one on at once. Sometimes it seems to help, other times to hurt. But you have a graphical way to experiment with it.
4 years 6 months ago #42638

Rebuilds?? You mean it recreates the file every boot after it was deleted? What are the contents of the file when it does that? My script simply created the file once, it didn't change any other settings related to that. Something else must be creating the file I think.
4 years 6 months ago #42639

• Thank you received: 140
It re creates the file exactly each time you re boot after deleting it, but the same file also exists in the folder alongside the LXDE-pi folder, called “default” I think....
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by AstroNerd.
4 years 6 months ago #42643

So can someone please tell me how I can use a USB stick on my rpi after it being disabled by this script, or do I need to delete the the lot and go back to installing all myself from Source....as using USB sticks must be essential to others too, and not just me, just don’t understand what a simple thing like this has to be disabled....it seem really unnecessary .... :(
4 years 6 months ago #42646

• Thank you received: 226
The USB Stick mounting was addressed as per my request earlier. Although I went back to setup from a fresh image with that change, so I never got to undo it once setup.
4 years 6 months ago #42648

Yes, the goal is not to disable mounting USB drives, the goal is to disable the auto mounting of DSLRs. We used to have this problem all the time. Mounting a DSLR prevents INDI from talking to the camera, so disabling the auto mount of the DSLR is essential. This setting is really a crucial one for a Raspberry Pi based imaging system since many folks use DSLRs. Jasem finally solved that in the Ubuntu MATE system by creating an INDI rules file that would prevent the auto mounting of DSLRs. For some reason, this did not work on Raspbian. If you read back through this thread, some users reported this problem, and then a solution was suggested. This solution was used for a short time, but then we found a better way to disable the DSLR automounting that did not affect flash drives. The file that you have is apparently a remnant of the initial solution I guess?

Do these lines exist in your rogue file?

[volume]
mount_on_startup=0
mount_removable=0

This is how we disabled the mounting of DSLRs initially. We created the file if it didn't exist and added those lines.
4 years 6 months ago #42649

One thing I should clarify for #2. If your laptop has an IP address on wifi, it might get a 192 address. That will make it less likely for it to connect to the Pi if it is not on a network and has a 169 address. Turning off your wifi on your laptop will force it to get a 169 address allowing them to start talking. Once you are connected, you can tell the pi to connect to a network, enter passwords, etc. And then disconnect your laptop form the Pi and turn back on your wifi. Then you can connect wirelessly.
4 years 6 months ago #42650

• Thank you received: 1

When i tried the direct link my laptop’s WiFi was disabled, so only the direct link Ethernet connection was present. It was first after a while that I opened the WiFi connection again and logged on to the Pi to check IP etc.

One thing though, is that my MacBook Pro is without native Ethernet port. I use a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter from Apple. It works perfectly when connected to normal LAN and it gets an IP from the Raspberry Pi, so it should work - but it doesn’t.
SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod with EQDIR cable
ZWO ASI294MC Pro imaging camera
QHY5L-II-C guide camera on 50mm guidescope
DeepSkyDad AF3 autofocuser
Raspberry Pi 4 4GB running Kstars/Ekos
4 years 6 months ago #42654

Yes, that is precisely how I connect to my various pi's when I cannot do wifi. I use a usb c to ethernet dongle plugged directly into the pi and my MacBook Pro. I know that this works because I did it just a few hours ago in order to connect to my pi temporarily so that I could select the appropriate wifi network, enter my password, and get it on my home network. I'm imaging with my scope in the driveway and my laptop inside over wifi right now.
4 years 6 months ago #42656

Well I am sorry to say it’s not left over from an old script, I only updated the script and re ran it yesterday and still WILL NOT recognise USB flash drives, so you have not solved this issue at all... this is ridiculous to have a system that won’t recognise USB drives, looks like I’m going to have to wipe the lot and build all from scratch then and not use the script.... :(
Those two lines do exist and have a 1 after them and not a zero, but still will not work with any type of hard or USB drive....tried everything
Why does the file keep re creating after I delete this is ridiculous......
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by AstroNerd.
4 years 6 months ago #42657

Well I am using a brand new script, from just yesterday...so no idea what’s going on but it’s no good to me if it won’t even see a USB drive..
4 years 6 months ago #42658

Time to create page: 0.295 seconds