INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

AstroPi3 Scripts revised

• Thank you received: 74
OK I am not using RPI4 just a RPI3b+ BUT i am using RPI3b+ using Buster and you can certainly mount USB sticks as well as a DSLR.

Unfortunately I am using Indigo_server not Indi_server but the principle is the same as far as devices being mounted etc.

So long as the actions in the DSLR FAQ's are used INCLUDING GNOME stop automounting

jrlaffoon provided the following solution:
sudo rm /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.gtk.Private.GPhoto2VolumeMonitor.service
sudo rm /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/gphoto2.mount
sudo rm /usr/share/gvfs/remote-volume-monitors/gphoto2.monitor
sudo rm /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.media-handling automount false

The above works everytime - so far.

As you can see from attached screen captures there is a USB stick mounted (has Ubuntu Mate on it ) , no Canon mounts (which did appear before using above settings) and Indigo_server is running and being used by CCDCiel on another PC.

So unless there is something odd going on with RPI4 Kernel or whatever it should,one would think, still be the same or possible.
Note FYI I never switch on the DSLR or stick in the Stick until the system has booted.
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
4 years 6 months ago #42664
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226
AstroNerd:
I don't believe the script is setup to undo the disabled mounting.
The recent versions or the script however does address the mounting issues correctly if installed from scratch. My DSLR does not auto-mount, and my USB sticks do, as they should.
4 years 6 months ago #42668

• Thank you received: 140
Actually you may not believe this but It has been correctly installed from scratch, and still has the file that should not be there, so I am sorry but you are wrong...
4 years 6 months ago #42671

Replied by AstroNerd on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

Good for you my friend, but mine does not work after using the script from scratch yesterday...
4 years 6 months ago #42672

• Thank you received: 809
So just to be clear, that file didn't exist on my system, but it did exist on some other people's systems. There are other ways the file can be created. It is just a file with settings in it. As long as the settings are right for what you are trying to do, it is ok if it exists. Thats why I asked you what was inside the file. I believe if the settings are 1 as you described, then that means that the drives should mount. 0 was the setting I set them to to disable mounting.
4 years 6 months ago #42675

One idea for you, try this:

sudo apt -y install usbmount

See if that helps.
4 years 6 months ago #42682

I just tried the usbmount package I just mentioned. It makes mounting USB drives much better on Raspbian, and installing it did not make the DSLR automoumting come back because of those 4 files we deleted in the script. So this might be a good solution for you astronerd. If it is a good solution, I can also add it to the script, since it doesn't seem to have negative side effects so far.
4 years 6 months ago #42684

Makes no difference, I still Have the file and showing 1 as the setting an not zero, and the file exists in the same two places, so no idea, but to not be able to use a USB drive is ridiculous and so am scrapping the idea of the script altogether, as it does not suit my needs at all, also I have three other people on my Facebook group who have same issue and are also looking for alternative ideas...sorry but it does not work as it should... :)
4 years 6 months ago #42690

I'm not sure I understand. As I mentioned earlier, its fine that the file pcmanfm.conf exists. The file is a file manager settings file and you can make it appear by changing a number of the settings on the pi. You could have easily made the file by just changing a system setting. As far as I know, it will not prevent the auto mounting of flash drives as long as it says:

[volume]
mount_on_startup=1
mount_removable=1

All my script did before was create the file if it didn't exist and change the 1's to 0's if it did exist. It does not even do that anymore because as stash said, there is a better way that more precisely targets gphoto. So my script does not affect this file any more. If the file was created or changed on your system and you did a fresh install recently, it was not caused by the script.

I was asking you to try installing the package "usbmount" and restarting to see if now you can mount your drives. Did you install the package? Did you try plugging in a usb drive or did you just check to see if the file pcmanfm.conf was there?

Also please understand that I am trying my best to create a script that can help people get their systems all set up. I'm hoping that it can work on a number of different systems and SBCs. That is very challenging because everybody's systems are different and have different ways of changing settings. It will really take time to get it to work for everyone. I just devoted several weeks to adapting my script so that it could work on more systems than just Ubuntu MATE, which is all it worked on before. I am not paid to do this, and it is not a product like StellarMate. I have volunteered a lot of my time and effort to produce this because it was helpful to me and I think it is helpful to others. You don't have to use it if you don't want to, but of course if there are issues and you help me find out what it is that is wrong, I would be glad to improve it. Open source software is a collaborative effort. I have been trying to diagnose the problem you reported and see what could cause the issue. You don't need to call it ridiculous just because there are still some issues to be worked out. I do not know why your system is not mounting USB drives, because my system is doing so, but I'm trying to help you find out and fix the problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd, Avocette, Anders Misfeldt
4 years 6 months ago #42692

Thanks and I do appreciate the time you put in, but at the end of the day it does not work for me, I need to use USB drives, so my only option is to re build from Source without using the script, or go back to SM, although that still has issues too... :(
I did install the package , and it made no difference, also I have the file you mention and it shows “1” as you show above, but still they do not mount on boot, or when I plug them in...
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by AstroNerd.
4 years 6 months ago #42694

What about this third line? autorun

[volume]
mount_on_startup=1
mount_removable=1
autorun=1
4 years 6 months ago #42696

Or maybe check the settings graphically. I would toggle them a couple of times to make sure they update the settings file..
4 years 6 months ago #42698
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.628 seconds