INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

AstroPi3 Scripts revised

• Thank you received: 809
I just checked on several of my pi's. They seem to have sextractor installed already. I looked into it and it seems that sextractor was most likely installed when astrometry was installed. Was that not true on your system?

Just type "which sextractor" in a terminal on the pi and you will see if it is installed. If not, we could add it, but I think it is installed already.

Thanks,

Rob
4 years 2 weeks ago #50614

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

Ah. I believe you are correct. It didn't appear to be working for me before. Thank you.
4 years 2 weeks ago #50630

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

Can someone tell me if this script will work on an Intel NUC i5 PC with Ubuntu installed, or is it just for SBC.. .? :)
4 years 2 weeks ago #50647

So I designed the script with the idea that it could be run on a variety of different computers to get them set up to become a remote hub to do astrophotography. There are several scripts in there. Depending on your system, you should choose the appropriate one and there are instructions where you can leave out certain parts that won't apply to your system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 2 weeks ago #50648

Based on your description, I think the appropriate script is the "ubuntu SBC" one.
4 years 2 weeks ago #50649

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

So the Ubuntu SBC and yet my PC is not an SBC...? It’s a full x86 i5 intel machine....currently running windows but soon to be formatted and Ubuntu installed...??
4 years 2 weeks ago #50651

So yes ultimately that is the idea . The script is intended for an sbc hat would be remotely accessed in an observing field, but the whole point of it being a script is that you can customize it for your situation. If it is your main laptop, you might not want to have it setup vnc, or maybe the auto login, or the WiFi hotspots, but many other settings still are desirable. So comment out what you don’t want to do
4 years 2 weeks ago #50656

Would it be possible to create a python application with which to choose which script to run based on your system, and select with features to install?
4 years 2 weeks ago #50708

The script now offers a choice on which version of indi & 3rdparty to pull
(1) latest master
(2) 1.8.4
(3) 1.8.3
(4) latest release
I am not clear on the nomenclature being used here, specifically Latest Master vs Latest Release.
Is Latest Master the bleeding code? Making Latest Release the most recent Stable version?
3 years 10 months ago #53711

So the latest master would be the current bleeding edge version on git. It would be a git clone of the current state of the INDI Repo. The latest release would be the latest released version.

Thanks,

Rob
3 years 10 months ago #53713

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by MF on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

Hi Rob,

Thanks for putting together this excellent script.

I tried it out on Ubuntu 20.04 with Lubuntu Desktop, and I found some "features" were missing on both 32bit and 64 bit versions.

Missing items were as below, am I doing something wrong?
  1. Sets the user account to auto-login - Not working
  2. Disables the screen lock and screen saver to prevent them from causing issues when connecting via VNC - not working
  3. Installs RealVNC Server (Raspberry Pi Script) or x11VNC (64 bit script) - no vnc server installed. Edit VNC server does not autostart
  4. Creates zRAM to get ~ 1.5x the current RAM capacity - Not sure, how do I verify?
  5. Edit: cat /proc/swaps confirms this
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by MF.
3 years 9 months ago #54917

Hi, thanks for the report. Yes not all the versions of the script can have feature parity on all systems. The astroPi3 script intended for the Raspberry PI running Ubuntu Mate (setupAstroPi3) and the Raspbian script (setupAstroRaspbianPi) can easily accomplish all the tasks on their respective systems because they are intended for one specific system with a particular configuration. The Ubuntu SBC script (setupUbuntuSBC) (which I assume is the one that you used?) might not accomplish all of its tasks because it is intended for a more general set of systems. Even on Ubuntu, there are many different package managers, many different desktops, and many different file explorer systems on Linux. So, for example, Desktops on ubuntu include Gnome, KDE Plasma, Cinnamon, Budgie, MATE, Xubuntu, LXDE, XFCE LXQT etc. A method for setting up auto login might work for somebody on Ubuntu who has one Desktop, but not for another desktop. I did my best to make most of the features work for all the setups, but some of the features will not be supported on some setups. I always welcome suggestions for how to improve the support though!
3 years 9 months ago #54929

Time to create page: 0.742 seconds