INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

AstroPi3 Scripts revised

• Thank you received: 809
Ok I updated it and ran a test, it appears to work now
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Archer
3 years 4 months ago #63103

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ray
  • HEQ5 , FS102 , ASI1600 MONO ASI183MC , 200 F5 NEWT
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Ray on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

I have to add I have been able to connect to Rock 64 Debian with real VNC viewer over the network from the script installation. After some additional work I have been able to connect directly to the Share on the Rock64 with a direct Ethernet link. But x11 still throws me out attempting any VNC viewing through direct Ethernet link.
Any ideas how to modify X11 install to accept direct Ethernet link VNC viewer with password.?
Ray.
3 years 4 months ago #63104

• Thank you received: 15

Hello,

I just read a reply the 64 bit question which said, if and only if Raspberry PI 4 8G. What is the compelling reason? Are vendor products turning ARM64? Or are Linux ARM64 packages pushing the need?
3 years 4 months ago #63111

So there are advantages and drawbacks to using 64 bit vs 32 bit. In a program with 64 bit, you can have larger sized variables (64 bit in fact), so if you have enormous numbers you are working with and don't really want to use double or float, like if you have a huge integer and every digit is significant. You can handle larger chunks of memory addresses in your code at once because the pointer or index you use to access that memory can have a larger value. The same could be said for hard drives and accessing files on larger systems. If a program needs to use large variables or if it is set up to handle/access larger chunks of memory or hard disk space at once on a 64 bit system, then you might see an advantage. But there also could be a cost, depending on how the program is designed, since if you have a 64 bit integer, that takes up twice as much memory as a 32 bit integer. So that part depends on the program, whether or not the programmer decided to use 32 or 64 bit int variables when 64 bit is available.

For the most part, KStars, INDI, and the imagers they use typically work with images that have numerical values for their pixels that are much much less. Some are 8 bits per pixel, some are 16 (mine is 16). So there is usually no need to use really large integers most of the time, and when we do, it would be just fine to use double or float in most cases. Certain processes on the computer could benefit from being able to address more than 4 GB of RAM at the same time, so you might see a performance benefit there if you have more than 4 GB of RAM on the system. But I doubt that you would have a hard disk large enough on a Pi to see any benefit from 64 bit in that area. Some programs might possibly do some calculations that require really big numbers and if it can use a 64 bit integer, it *might* try to take advantage of that to make the calculation go faster, but the program would need to be written in such a way to take advantage of that and this probably is not done all that often.

So yeah, I think the only case where you might see a benefit is in the ability to address more RAM at the same time, and that benefit only appears when you have more than 4 GB of RAM. And the increased cost of larger variables that some programs will use might take away some of that benefit too, but some might take advantage of the larger variables to make calculations faster. So that part is not certain.
3 years 4 months ago #63112

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic AstroPi3 Scripts revised

I have bit of a hiccup building PHD Log Viewer on Raspberry OS (64bit), RPI4 8gb. Please advise.
Thank you kindly.
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Andrew.
3 years 4 months ago #63138
Attachments:

My Conky widget was not getting the CPU temperature. I found that vcgencmd was missing, but was easy to install.
sudo pip3 install vcgencmd
Then I found that it is installed in /usr/bin on this version of Linux and not /opt/vc/bin. So I edited my Conky config file accordingly and all is well on my end now.
3 years 4 months ago #63139

I managed to get phdlogviewer to install, but not in the usual way.
I used Patrick's solution.I also found that the script generated symlink is different on my 64bit system.
ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/wxformbuilder /usr/lib/wxformbuilder
vs.
ln -s /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/wxformbuilder /usr/lib/wxformbuilder
However even with that change, I still had issues with this error.
Error: This project file is out of date.  Update your .fbp before using --generate
Regardless, with Patrick's solution, the entire WxFormBuilder portion can probably be removed entirely from the Raspbian setup script.
3 years 4 months ago #63190

Ok I made your recommended change, please see if it works better now.
3 years 4 months ago #63193

No apparent issues here. Phdlogviewer compiled without any issues.
3 years 4 months ago #63195

• Ray

Solved the Link Local Ethernet failure.
I went back to the script , copied and entered these lines directly into the terminal;

nmcli connection modify "Wired DHCP Ethernet" ipv4.may-fail no
nmcli connection add type ethernet ifname eth0 con-name "Link Local Ethernet" autoconnect yes ip4 $IP/24

Ignored all of the advice about setting IPv4 in the client computer ethernet connection and set it all to auto

Used the Real VNC Vnc viewer and created a new connection ROCK64:0

And it works (but no internet )

A few things from the script failed to load. I think I manually installed Kstars again and set up shares for file access. So perhaps interruptions of some kind messed up the script in the first place.
Reentering the (possibly failed ) script elements manually seemed to work and saved setting up the PHD settings and calibration all over or editing out whole sections of the script and reloading.

Back to the night with the Tak and the HEQ5 and dithered mono subs minus the long cable .
3 years 4 months ago #63303

• Ray

HMM . Seems like I can not get internet on ethernet with these settings until i change the Ethernet back from IPv4 static address in the Rock64 to auto. But then no Link Local Ethernet. So it seems I can have ethernet and link local ethernet connections for the Rock 64 or ethernet and internet but not all three.
3 years 4 months ago #63305

• Ray

"In the new version, I put it in as a virtual network so that it shouldn't prevent ethernet from working with DHCP if you connect it to a router, but it will still keep the static IP running in the field if you need to connect to your laptop. At least this is my reasoning, have you found that this isn't true anymore?"
Is that the part in the script that mentions;

sudo --preserve-env bash -c 'cat > /etc/network/interfaces' <<- EOF
# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
EOF

Maybe I could enter these lines in the terminal to ensure this is working?
3 years 4 months ago #63306

Time to create page: 1.108 seconds