INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Error communication failed (AZ-GTI/Eqmod) and resume tracking

• Thank you received: 13
I am still fighting with using my AZ GTI (and the canon 6D). For both devices, I get random disconnections which are really annoying, but let's focus right now on the mount.

The mount is only partially stable through wifi. While I have a cable I made for it, it somehow worked for a while but the raspberry pi does not like it anymore and the /dev/ttyUSB0 interface vanished for some reason, so I am back to fighting the wifi link.

When a disconnection happens, I see EKOS tries to reconnect to it (good). However, the tracking is not resumed and the guiding hence cannot work. Would it be possible to have an option to resume the last state (tracking if tracking, guiding if guiding) once one of these disconnection events happen?
4 years 7 months ago #42414

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 31
Try to plug the mount directly to your computer, skipping the Pi. if it works, then the problem comes from the Pi. if it does not work, then the problem comes from the cable (assuming the mount is fine !) if it is the Pi the problem could come from an insufficient power supply. How much gear do you plug to your Pi ? do you have a 3A power supply ?

- Marc
4 years 7 months ago #42415

If you leave Kstars clicking 'disconnect' then the white square in Ekos, the indi server on the Pi is killed too. No way you can resume tracking after that. At least it works that way with the EQ6-R. Maybe it's possible to take advantage of the auxiliary encoders the Az-EQ has over the EQ6-R in some way ...

If you leave Kstars by Alt F4, then kstars is killed but the indi server continues to work. If there is a glitch between the Pi and the mount then it's game over again.

This is interesting when you have a problem with Kstars only. You just kill Kstars (alt F4) restart and reconnect, and it works.

In order to find what's wrong, you need to keep things SIMPLE. First You unplug everything but the mount, then you add the other gear until things go wrong (Laptop + mount + 6D). Everything connected through cables and ONLY cables. Once everything works that way, you redo the process with the Pi. Again ONLY cables. At last when everything goes well, you can try with the WIFI.
Good luck :)

- Marc
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 years 7 months ago #42416

I am connecting the canon, a zwo asi 120mm and the mount. But the mount is powered on its own and the canon as well. I am using a 2A power source, but the system is headless and there is no ethernet plugged in, no hard disk, so it should be ok.
4 years 7 months ago #42417

What I mean by tracking is just activating the sidereal tracking in the mount. That should be perfectly doable as far as there is a connection to the mount, the sky model here does not play any important role as I have it in equatorial mode.

At least I got to try guiding (which many people have failed with this mount, but it works acceptably well for me), polar alignment using its own algorithm in the sky watcher app (and seems to work pretty nicely) and managed to fix some annoying flexures and rotating parts between the wedge and the tripod, now the system seems to be rock solid hardware-wise.
4 years 7 months ago #42418

First thing to do : get a 3A power supply !

- Marc
4 years 7 months ago #42419

You said :
"I am using a 2A power source, but the system is headless and there is no ethernet plugged in, no hard disk, so it should be ok. "

The WIFI (if you don't have ethernet then you have WIFI) drains a lot of power. much more than the ethernet. Again, 2A is not enough !

- Marc
4 years 7 months ago #42420

Thanks Marc. Just ordered a 3A one, hopefully it makes a difference.
4 years 7 months ago #42421

Time to create page: 0.876 seconds