INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Right Click--GOTO object

• Thank you received: 13

Replied by Max Dobres on topic Right Click--GOTO object

This looks better, but I agree with Robs original suggestion. In general the interface should put the most used functions first & easiest. I find it a particular problem as I access the system via VNC on a laptop with a small screen, so getting my cursor in the right place is tricky at present. I often select the wrong option by mistake.
Max
4 years 6 months ago #42933

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
I find it sometimes difficult to get the mouse to display exactly where I want the telescope to go. Take NGC 6888 for example. When I hover the mouse it will ofter display its Sh number and only in very specific cases “Crescent Nebula”, which is where I want the telescope to go. Since I work with VNC and popups usually are displayed with a delay, I am VERY happy with the “Slew telescope to selected object” button. However, a Shift-click would work as well since I think NGC 6888 is an extreme case.

Wouter
4 years 6 months ago #42941

• Thank you received: 161

Replied by Alfred on topic Right Click--GOTO object

I think Rob's reasoning is well thought out and easily comprehensible. The GOTO command is the most often used one during my observation nights. Hiding it in a "level 2" sub-menu renders it cumbersome to use. Naturally it should be placed in a top level menu. Also it should have an optional shortcut for even easier access.

(Same goes for the "altitude above horizon" function that is hidden in the "Details" -> Position submenu). To an observer it is more important than the "rise time" and "set time" which are displayed right away and which it could replace or be added to IMO.)
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Alfred.
4 years 6 months ago #42957

If we want to cater for VNC use cases, then even the popup menu is cumbersome. Maybe some soft buttons that can be displayed as an overlay is the better solution for the long term.
4 years 6 months ago #42958

• Thank you received: 161

Replied by Alfred on topic Right Click--GOTO object

Absolutely agree.Indeed, rather big soft keys could solve the problem vor VNC users. One option doesn't exclude the other. We could have the function in the popup menu as well as "shift-click" and "soft key". These additional options could be activated/deactivated via general preferences.
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Alfred.
4 years 6 months ago #42960

• Thank you received: 133

That one for sure gets my vote. A clear advantage of that is that it (hopefully) would always be at the same location in the right-click menu. Right now I always have to look where the mount menu is, because the location depends on the order in which devices have been connected/started....

Regarding safety-dialogs, keep in mind they also can be cumbersome for VNC use, in that respect it isn't better than the 2nd level submenu we have right now - you have the delay and need to point the mouse to the proper button/entry....
4 years 6 months ago #42967

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Right Click--GOTO object

When an object is selected and the name appears in the top corner, it would be a great place to have a button show up that when clicked will slew the scope. If multiple mounts are present, a button for each could be created. Alternately these functions could be put into a new GoTo toolbar.
Re: shortcuts, Indeed accidental keystrokes must be avoided. So I already configured my most critical ones with CTRL+. I Find Shift has more potential conflicts with other functions.
4 years 6 months ago #42977

• Thank you received: 223

I really do like this new look there, very clear. I also agree with Robert, this menu has to be revamped.
I find it quite annoying having to find the eqmod submenu which changes randomly up and down ...

All up in favour of the new look, nice work Jasem and Robert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 6 months ago #42981

• Thank you received: 133

Well, that button already exists, it's just not enabled by default. If you configure your toolbar you can add that button/function. It is what I normally use. I have no idea though what happens if I'd connect two mounts. Maybe I should try....

(my earlier request refered to this button, as I would like to have it also go to the current position if no named target is shown in the top corner, but only the string 'nothing', because you're pointing somewhere between objects to nicely place them in your cameras FOV )
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 6 months ago #42982

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Right Click--GOTO object

I already use it, as I've already detailed several convenient methods. But as others have pointed out, configuring some of them is not what newcomers should be introduced to. Thus what I was getting at was a large friendly button for the newbies.
I did come up with a mockup in toolbar form that could be very intuitive for newcomers, and removable for advanced users who desire less clutter.
Main point of the mockup is a concept I envisioned to have a place to find targets by name up front, which can auto-populate the coordinate field. Alternately manual coordinate entry and Epoch selection. Center to center it in the planetarium view. And a mount selection box for multiple mount setups with GOTO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 years 6 months ago #42984
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 809
I guess this sort of thing is also a cool option:

www.star-map.fr/upload/screenshots/screenshot15.jpg

It is a set of options buttons that appear on the skymap of this app, when you click and hold on something. This app by the way is designed for tablets. A set of buttons like this could be designed to appear in KStars if you click on something in a certain way, like a ctrl-click or maybe even a right click.
4 years 6 months ago #42986

Great idea! I like this approach!

Now tell me you actually have a patch for this so we can test? :D
4 years 6 months ago #42997

Time to create page: 1.963 seconds