INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

QHY driver timeout when using gphoto at the same time

• Thank you received: 0
Hello there,

When using both QHY and gphotos driver at the same time, it seems that the QHY driver times out and lead to a crash in PHD2. The QHY driver works fine for hours straight when I'm controlling the camera with a remote control. As soon as I try to use the gphotos driver to control my Pentax DSLR, PHD2 guidescope preview freezes while Ekos is transferring raw files from the DSLR to the Rpi. At some point, PHD2 complains about QHY driver timing out, and I usually need to restart guiding.

Could it be a power issue (I don't use a powered hub at the moment) ? A USB bottleneck somehow ?
I'm not asking for a solution directly (because miracles are rare :D), but I don't really know where to begin with :(. I'm new with INDI and don't really what I could try to do to diagnose my issue.

Regards,
Bertrand

INDI Library : 1.7.9 (compiled from d0321cb7, a more recent build like 1.8.0 does not get an image from the QHY5II)
Kstars/Ekos : 3.3.3
Linux raspberry pi 4.19.57-v7l (Raspberry Pi 4) on Raspbian 10 Buster

PHD2 Log extract
INDI pentax
INDI QHY
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Bertrand Lemasle. Reason: Replaced post with improved description (from a duplicated post) and added log files
4 years 6 months ago #42814
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 7
I would like to add some more data to this thread. I have been experiencing nearly the same behaviour.

Running current version on two RP3+ and MacOs.

See log-rp3. Kstars was run solely on this RP3+ as a test. Canon can take and file pictures. When I select guide/capture/loop from guiding tab the Canon (photo) repeats " [Warning] could not wait for event". Power need to be recycled on Canon and all drivers halted and restarted.
From the Mac desktop with remote configuration to RP3+ (running drivers) the Canon is able to take and save photos. However, if I trigger 'capture' in guiding it get the" [Warning] could not wait for event" message under the Canon driver tab. Power need to be recycled on Canon and all drivers halted and restarted.

Otherwise, last night I used a similar setup with my Star Adventurer, Canon 60D, QHY5L mini guider, sim=telescope and phd2 running on another RP3+. This did work well for me. Mind you I started phd2 after all other drivers were running.

I will keep trying iterations with the desktop system to bracket the problem.

regards
Equipment

Sky Watcher Esprit 100ED APO
QHY5L-II Mini Guider
Pegasus PPB, DMFC
Xagyl Filter, LRGB+Ha
CGEM DX
RP4.4

William Optics RedCat 51
Star Adventurer
RP4.1
Software
KStars phd2 , Ubuntu, StarTools, Mac OS
AstroDSLR AstroGuider AstroTelescope, AstroImager, Astrometry
4 years 6 months ago #43135
Attachments:

Hello again,

I normally run everything through the RP3+. Tried many different things now; still causes the same strange error when guiding is enabled with gphoto collection shots.

However when the QHY5l-II is connected directly to my computer's USB port., the driver panics and from the log it shows @path/libghyccd.5.dylib has not been loaded.

What is strange, is the RP3+ can capture and process images. Fails when gphoto collects photos.

My Macs, RP3+ are at current versions.

For information: I have tested this QHY5 camera on another platform and it functions. (not a bad camera, cable or firmware)
Equipment

QHY5L-II Mini Guider
Pegasus PPB, DMFC
Xagyl Filter, LRGB+Ha
CGEM DX
RP4.4

William Optics RedCat 51
Star Adventurer
RP4.1
Software
4 years 6 months ago #43244
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 1
I've just started having a similar problem. I'm running everything on a Tinker board a and my imaging camera is a Canon 100D with a QHY5L-IIM for guiding. The problem just seems to have started with the latest Indilib release, because prior to this everything worked flawlessly. However, now, I can collect images (using either CCDCiel or KStars), but as soon as I start looping images with the autoguider, the main imaging process hangs. The message that appears is that the image is downloading but it never completes and so the Canon eventually times out. However, the only way to get the Canon to work again is to power it off and remove the battery. All of which means that I can do no imaging at all. I assume it is a conflict between the QHY and Canon drivers, but I've no idea where to go from here.
Equipment:
EQ6R-Pro with SW 190MN, ATIK 383L+ and ATIK EFW2, guiding with QHY5LII-M on an Orion GuideScope (run from a PC in the observatory running SGPro)
EQ6R with SW 150PDS, Canon 100D (astro mod), guiding with with QHY5LII-M on an Orion GuideScope (run from a TinkerBoard S)

Terry
4 years 6 months ago #43280

To be precise, the problem I described is "reversed" : it is the QHY driver that times out when using gphotos driver at the same time. But who knows, the consequences might be reversed but the cause might be identical :)
4 years 6 months ago #43310

@terryfitz I see you've describe your issue on this similar thread as well www.indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/5713-eo...r-latest-update.html (pointed out by @alacant on another duplicate thread I made by mistake).
Hopefully, I'll have free time on the weekend to conduct more tests.

But I do not really know what to look for...
4 years 6 months ago #43517

I tried testing with equipment/systems that I used. None of the combinations worked together for taking lights and guiding.
qhy5_canon_ubuntu - created an error on the Canon 60D
qhy5_canon_mac - the Indi server crashed and restarted
qh5_canon_rp3_mac - QHY5L-ll captures images, but Canon 60D posts 'cannot wait for events' in the logs
qhy5m_qhy5l_mac - caused one panic on desktop, upon retry gave me this log

I even tried using the ssag (QHY5M) through RP3 to two different OSs, but it error'd out

The RP3+ is Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS -updated
The Mac version of Kstars is 3.3.6

Let me know if I can provide additional information or testing

arc

File Attachment:

File Name: qhy5_canon_mac.txt
File Size:342 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: ssag_rp3_ubuntu.txt
File Size:56 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: qhy5_canon..._mac.txt
File Size:691 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: ssag_rp3_to_mac.txt
File Size:403 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: qhy5_canon...untu.txt
File Size:5,607 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: qhy5_canon_ubuntu.txt
File Size:5,290 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: qhy5m_qhy5l_mac.txt
File Size:22 KB
Equipment

QHY5L-II Mini Guider
Pegasus PPB, DMFC
Xagyl Filter, LRGB+Ha
CGEM DX
RP4.4

William Optics RedCat 51
Star Adventurer
RP4.1
Software
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Bertrand Lemasle
4 years 6 months ago #43551

wow thanks for all the work!

I'm curious about one this, is this related to QHY? can you put any other camera there (e.g. ZWO)? same issue?
4 years 6 months ago #43561

I only have two QHY cameras and the one Canon.Right now am trying to source another Canon camera (different model) and hopefully another guider.
It will take me a couple of days to acquire.
Equipment

QHY5L-II Mini Guider
Pegasus PPB, DMFC
Xagyl Filter, LRGB+Ha
CGEM DX
RP4.4

William Optics RedCat 51
Star Adventurer
RP4.1
Software
4 years 6 months ago #43562

It seems that all has been fixed with yesterdays libqhy and indi_qhy update!
I can successfully run looped guiding exposures with QHY5L-II-M together with Canon 700D imaging sequence.

Good job and kudos to our savior!
4 years 6 months ago #43854

Time to create page: 1.060 seconds