INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ubuntu MATE now works on Raspberry Pi4

• Thank you received: 182
Looks like one can get Ekos to run now on the RPi4 using Ubuntu MATE at 64 bit.

Huge improvement over the Pi3.

Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Jose Corazon.
4 years 6 months ago #43290
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 7
Hello El Corazon,
thanks for sharing.
I cannot find a PI4 image on ubuntu-mate.org.
Thomas
4 years 6 months ago #43306

Yes, but there is an unofficial image for installing Ubuntu Server 18.04 on the RPi4:

jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi-4-ubuntu...-3-image-unofficial/

Just follow the instructions, it is entirely straightforward.

After installing the server, use the command line to install the gnome and mate desktop environments:

$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop && sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment

After that, tweak the system to the exact MATE configuration of your liking.

I install x11vnc, configure it with x11vnc -storepasswd, then add it to my startup preferences x11vnc -usepw -shared

I set the screen size for the vnc server also in the startup preferences xrandr --fb 1920x1080 (or the screensize you want)

Configure the wireless network for a static IP address.

You also need to edit the config.txt in the BOOT partition (!) to force the output when no HDMI is connected, else VNC will not show anything.

Indi, Kstars and astrometry.net install from there as usual.

From all I have been doing with this so far, the system behaves like any other regular MATE installation.

I haven't tested in the field yet, but the cameras work, joystick works to control the mount, I can take Darks as usual, so I do not anticipate any MATE system-related hiccups when I try out for real as soon as the clouds disappear here again.

Let me know how it works for you.

Jo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thomas Jäger
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Jose Corazon.
4 years 6 months ago #43314

Has anybody else set up an RPi4 with MATE and found an easier solution? If you know of a ready to burn image out there, please let me know.

In the meantime, this approach works darn well!
4 years 6 months ago #43332

• Thank you received: 140
Stellarmate is available on Rpi4 with Ubuntu mate, and KDE.... and has been for a while, but still in Beta releases...
4 years 6 months ago #43334

Jeez,. thanks for letting me know!

Where have I been all this time?

Well, it's been a hot summer around here....
4 years 6 months ago #43336

• Thank you received: 6
For those who want to install the whole setup on a Pi 4, I have updated my step-by-step description:

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Caveat: I still need to test in the field, but until now all looks good! It runs very smoothly.

Cheers,
Arjan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Alberts, Jose Corazon
4 years 4 months ago #45652
Attachments:

This is a very nice write-up, Arjan, and a nicely built box!
I am still running most of my peripherals separately, but especially getting the DSLR powered directly from a central box would be nice. It would obviate the need for quite a few extra cables.

Nice design! I will look into it, especially the 12V step down converter to power the Pi4 with. That is still a pain. I suspect that a 4A PS would be better for the Pi4 than the 3A designed for it. If you find one, let me know.

Best

Jo
4 years 4 months ago #45654

• Thank you received: 6
Thanks!

As you know, the Pi4 has reshuffled the connectors, so I had to print a new front for this box. I will include the correct images when I make the final version, after testing full functionality.
On AliB you can find many step-down converters. The one I used is sealed and converts 8-52 down to 5V at 3A. For the Pi4 it is plenty, but I'm not sure about the USB peripherals.
For the Canon I found a battery adapter. When empty it has plenty space to add electronics to convert the 12V down to 7.2 or so.
I really should add some fuses to the 12V outlets, especially for the case I use a battery instead of net power supply.

I attach the box with velcro to the RA housing of my NEQ6, all that is left routing off-mount is one power cable!

Cheers,
Arjan
4 years 4 months ago #45691

• Thank you received: 27
Pi4 is now officially supported by Ubuntu, although it does not come with UI.
I developed a script which installs all imaging software I use plus KDE by default or mate as on option.
The script and instructions are available here:
github.com/avarakin/AstroPiMaker4

Alex
4 years 4 months ago #45821

• Thank you received: 74

Thats not what I have read , as of Nov 2019 , read this ubuntu.com/blog/roadmap-for-official-sup...r-the-raspberry-pi-4 only supports 1/2gb etc and USB ports are a fudge ,so where is this "official Ubuntu" fully working version for the Desktop GUI version?

Yes I appreciate you have Astropi4 script to install on top of what looks like RPI3 image :-) I exclude Sellarmate :-)
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
4 years 4 months ago #45826

• Thank you received: 7
Hello Alex,
thanks for sharing your work, does it work without issues in your enviroment?
I had some trouble

1. the complete process stopps because sbig-indi (I need it) cannot be found? I commented it out.
2. chromium-browser installation lags several minutes. I commented it out.

After the installation process a nice pink fox was visible via VNC :-)

It take long time until the built-in wireless adapter was visible in the system.

Thomas
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Thomas Jäger.
4 years 4 months ago #45827
Attachments:

Time to create page: 1.841 seconds