INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ubuntu MATE now works on Raspberry Pi4

• Thank you received: 1

Yep. After yet another reboot it looks good. But it's really slow. Lag on everything (even just dragging a small text document from one window to another is lagging. My Pi is placed one or two meters away from my computer. But could it be the Raspberry Pi's WiFi signal, that's not that great?
SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod with EQDIR cable
ZWO ASI294MC Pro imaging camera
QHY5L-II-C guide camera on 50mm guidescope
DeepSkyDad AF3 autofocuser
Raspberry Pi 4 4GB running Kstars/Ekos
3 years 11 months ago #51379

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ok, I just tried using VNC through the ethernet connection instead. That's faster, but still lagging a little bit (but it's nothing alarming). Is there a way to get the Ubuntu server to do the following concerning network connections:

1) If ethernet is connected, WiFi signal is disabled
2) If no ethernet, then enable WiFi and look for a known WiFi (eg. my own WiFi at home) and connect to it
3) If no known WiFi is found, then use the RP as an access point.

I can't even seem to figure out how to connect the Ubuntu server to my home WiFi....
SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod with EQDIR cable
ZWO ASI294MC Pro imaging camera
QHY5L-II-C guide camera on 50mm guidescope
DeepSkyDad AF3 autofocuser
Raspberry Pi 4 4GB running Kstars/Ekos
3 years 11 months ago #51382

• Thank you received: 69

Interesting, is the AstroPiMaker4 script only for the Pi4 or also for other Pi's?

I have a Pi4 running Astroberry, but also a number of Pi3B+ which I might be able to test this stuff on (if it works).

Have you thought about xrdp instead of VNC? For me RDP appears to be more responsive graphically than VNC.
3 years 11 months ago #51383

• Thank you received: 27

I do not see a reason why it would not work - it is based on the standard Ubuntu image which supports Pi3 too.
I tried xrdp in the past but I did not like it. I also tried NoMachine long time ago, also had some issues.
I feel that given that VNC is available out of the box and always works for me , I did not try anything else recently.

Alex
3 years 11 months ago #51384

• Thank you received: 27

Connecting to your home Wifi should be easy as long as you disable the Access Point.
Regarding the rest of your questions - Access Point of my build is based on create_ap project which is pretty popular.
I suggest reading their documentation or ask a question on their forums.
Keep in mind that it is just a shell script, so I am sure it can be easily modified for your needs.

Alex
3 years 11 months ago #51387

Thanks for the replies! I got these Raspberry Pi 4 kit recently and all of these is new for me. Thank a lot!
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Ewan Poole.
3 years 1 month ago #67502

Time to create page: 0.531 seconds