INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[Solved]Ekos/INDI ports over port forwarding

• Thank you received: 12
Today I found time to set up port-forwarding instances on the router to which my SM on RPi3 is connected. I used X (obviously not posting the IP and port) as the external-facing port for port 7642 on the Pi3 in one instance, and the second instance I used Y for port 8624.

I connected a couple times, on a Windows10 laptop using this address while I was connected to internet at the site; in Ekos, I chose the IP, listed X where 7624 is normally, and Y where 8624 is normally. It worked more than once.

When connecting in the same way, using two, both different from the first, Windows10 machines- one from a wired internet connection, and another from a mobile hotspot connection- KStars give me the error "Connection to INDI server at host IP with port X failed."

Going to the indiweb manager with IP:Y opens up the web server, where it has filled in the port text box with "X", instead of 7624. I then edit this field to read 7624, stop indiserver, and start it again. I then can connect to indiserver on the SM through Ekos.

So... is this business as I will handle it always, or is this an issue I'm not attempting to use correctly? I realize it's not the most secure method to connect, but I honestly couldn't find very much in regards to port-forwarding specifically for Ekos, INDI, SM, etc.

Might anyone have suggestions for me? I don't necessarily mind connecting in this manner, but 1) the workaround leaves me guessing that I have gone about the process wrongly, and 2) it worked on my laptop at the site (I am sure it was not on LAN) and I don't think it should be any different if I'm still using the public IP at the site, though I'm obviously no IT wizard.

Thanks for any help in resolving and/or simply understanding the matter.

Best,
Jacob
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Jacob Nowatzke. Reason: Marked as "Solved"
4 years 5 months ago #44060

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So you see INDI Web Manager INDI server port set to X? then you might as well use that all the way. What I mean, when you setup the port forwarding on your router, forward X to X on SM, instead of forwarding X to 7624

Maybe that would work for your situation?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jacob Nowatzke
4 years 5 months ago #44064

• Thank you received: 12
That did it- I was under the impression port 7624 was fixed/ required. Thanks, Jasem

Best,
Jacob
4 years 5 months ago #44088

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds