INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

PAA & CEM25p unexpected behavior

• Thank you received: 3
The previous two nights I've been using my DIY GOTO LX70 without a hitch with Ekos, etc. Tonight I wanted to capture M31 with my CEM25p and compare the results. I can't get past polar alignment. This is on a rp4 with Stellarmate OS.

Basically, when I click "Start" it takes a pic, solves, slews, and right when it gets to 30 degrees, it beeps and attempts to park. I have tried about 10 times now, making sure GPS location time date etc was ok. It just is not cooperating.

What am I missing? Thanks!
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Paul Nixon.
4 years 5 months ago #44549

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 5 months ago #44552

I wondered about logs. Where are they located so I can take a look? /var/???

I thought clicking on "Logs" would bring up the logs, but that seems more a configuration thing.
4 years 5 months ago #44554

Check my signature, there is a video HOWTO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Nixon
4 years 5 months ago #44555

• Thank you received: 33
If you have meridian flip ticked in the mount tab try untickiing it. I have similar behaviour with my CEM25p when I pick a star across the meridian (west) in kstars planetarium for focusing with my bathinov mask. Mount will goto the target then immediately go back to the east side. Not sure it is the park position, I never really figured out the park position with this mount.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Nixon
4 years 5 months ago #44556

We are about to head home and are packing up, but thank you for the replies.

Knro - I will see about the logs for sure. The first thing that struck me about your video is when I click "Logs" everything is greyed out and I can not make any selections. Obviously, I am new to this and am probably overlooking something. I will watch the full video when I get back home.

Starman345 - I was unable to connect to the CEM25p today, but assuming that is just a glitch, you have given me an idea. My LX70 project - I polar aligned and rotated WEST. On the CEM25p I attempted to do exactly the same thing. I wonder if all I had to do was tell it to rotate EAST instead. I will test this at the earliest possible moment.

I will followup with more info. For now, thanks very much!
4 years 5 months ago #44564

Back home. As I said, I'd follow up with more info.

As suspected, the "problem" was caused by attempting to polar align using "West" rotation. I confirmed this at home. Selecting "East" worked to get polar alignment. Thank you starman345.

BUT-

The mount could not find anything. Attempted to slew to M31 and the mount slew to China. Attempted to slew to the moon; the mount slew to zenith before I stopped it. Each time I "parked" the mount and it slew back to its zero/home position.

Very strange.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Paul Nixon.
4 years 5 months ago #44595

Hi knro.

When I originally went in to select what to log, everything was grayed out. Given the message/warning, I presume logs are disabled by default?

On my setup, the log directory did not exist. I created it, selected what to log, and retried. So, I have log data to share. Do you want me to .zip and post the file or just post the contents of the file?

At least one thing stands out - there is no park data. If I have a chance tonight, I'll try to update that and see if that helps/fixes things.

Cheers!
4 years 5 months ago #44645

So, I guess the lack of park data was at least part of the problem, but something is still weird.

With the mount in the zero position, I set home and park. They should be the same thing - send the scope home or park the scope should send it to the same position. But they don't. Well, sort of. Basically, when I was starting out I slewed randomly and then "parked" - the scope returned to it's park/home position. But after 2-3 hours of tracking, park and home became separated, with park somehow becoming about 40 degrees East. As I said, weird.
4 years 5 months ago #44736

• Thank you received: 33
Yes, mine doesn't do park well either I gave up on it a long time ago. I just use "go to home position"
4 years 5 months ago #44740

Can't speculate much without logs at this stage. But I'd presume the parking location was already set? In KStars, you can click anywhere and select a parking position.
4 years 5 months ago #44755

• Thank you received: 420
I have seen the park position drift with a CEM25P mount as well. I suspect the park position gets written into the mount as RA-DEC instead of ALT-AZ because RA drifts over time and 40 degrees is in agreement with "2-3 hours of tracking". However, I am not sure since I didn't investigate thoroughly.

Wouter
4 years 5 months ago #44760

Time to create page: 0.806 seconds