INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Pi 4: Does 2 GB suffice?

• Thank you received: 20
I'm contemplating replacing my Pi 3 + StellarMate with a 4. Will plate solving, etc. function OK with 1 GB or am I better off with 2 or even 4? The 3 takes a long time to plate solve and often fails, so I have to use my laptop and suffer the download times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
4 years 4 months ago #45547

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
I would recommend 2 GB at least. Sometimes on my raspberry Pi 3, it uses more than 1GB, so it goes in to the Zram swap. But with Zram enabled, there is no reason 2GB is not enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Wayne
4 years 4 months ago #45549

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Pi 4: Does 2 GB suffice?

I would recommend the 4GB model simply because it doesn't cost that much more and you never know when the extra ram can come in handy. But 2GB works, and already a very worthwhile step up from the Pi3 with only 1GB.
4 years 4 months ago #45550

• Thank you received: 27
It works great with 2GB. Try ASTAP - it works very fast.
Alex
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Wayne, Craig
4 years 4 months ago #45555

• Thank you received: 809
Yep, to be fair, my advice was to get the 2GB version since that's all you should need memory-wise. However, I myself instead opted for the 4GB version, just because it was just a little more money. So you can do what I said or do what I did ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
4 years 4 months ago #45557

• Thank you received: 40

Replied by David Tate on topic Pi 4: Does 2 GB suffice?

I've never seen mine go over 2GB's more like 1.3GB's. I think if I had to buy a backup version it would be a 2GB version. But as Ihoujin said, it's not that much more. But you never know, someday they might open up that memory usage.

I wonder what will happen when (if) they go to 64bit vs the current 32bit. That might have nothing to do with memory usage though.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by David Tate.
4 years 4 months ago #45572

• Thank you received: 182
I am using the 4GB model and program memory usage frequently exceeds 2 GB, cache is using the rest. Even my 4 GB swap is being used occasionally, but not much.

I am not sure what the means, but why skimp on memory for $10 in savings or - rather - potential aggravation?
4 years 4 months ago #45574

• Thank you received: 20

Replied by Rick Wayne on topic Pi 4: Does 2 GB suffice?

OK, that's pretty clear guidance. It wasn't just the dollar cost I was thinking of, but also potential power consumption and heat generation. That might be significant on a less-sophisticated board computer where the RAM is a bigger part of the budget for both, but thinking about what the Pi 4 is already packing, I bet the extra RAM 's power and heat is down in the noise.

Thanks again! Me for a 4-gig Pi!
4 years 4 months ago #45579

• Thank you received: 40

Replied by David Tate on topic Pi 4: Does 2 GB suffice?

Yeah, I use the CanaKit 3.5A USB-C Raspberry Pi 4 Power Supply. Nothing I have for USB power works (which reminds me I should get a backup)

I also put a fan in the case. From what I heard is required. They're cheap, so no big deal. I opened my case up so the fan has clear access.
4 years 4 months ago #45583

Time to create page: 0.811 seconds