INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

1.4.5 Wifi Issues

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic 1.4.5 Wifi Issues

I just tested again the WiFi on v1.4.5 on both RPi3 + RPI4 and couldn't replicate any issues. Of course this doesn't mean they're not there, but from prior reports, the RPi4 WiFi is quite sensitive. Is there anything attached to the RPi4? Does this issue only affect RPi4 or also RPi3?

The change for RPI4 is the support for 5Ghz, which actually might have brought in these issues. Maybe I should make the Hotspot always default to 2.4Ghz to make it stable?
4 years 4 months ago #45984

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by Barry Carney on topic 1.4.5 Wifi Issues

I connected the RPi4 to a monitor and keyboard and it was quite quick. I also used VNC from my laptop at the same time and it was also quick from there. I don't know why it was so slow the first time I used it after updating. Does it do something in the background after the SD card image is written and then used for the first time?

I tried again last night and found the cause of the slow down when imaging - it seems to be PHD2. Before starting PHD2 everything is fine then after starting PHD2 things slow down. I dont think it's a WIFI issue so I'll start a new thread.
RPi 4B (4gb) running Stellarmate OS
Skywatcher Quattro 250 with f4 coma corrector
Skywatcher Evostar 80ED with 0.85 reducer/flattener
Skywatcher AZ-EQ6,
ASI1600MM Pro with ZWO 8x1.25" EFW,
Guide scope 50x190mm, Guide camera ASI290MM
ZWO EAF focuser
4 years 4 months ago #45989

• Thank you received: 40

Replied by David Tate on topic 1.4.5 Wifi Issues

1.4.4 the only issues I had was that sometimes the wireless didn't connect. Sounds the same but... I never had the issue when my Pi was right next to my wireless router. I'll do this so I can hook up the monitor and see what the problems are. When it was that close it never had an issue. 1.4.5 wouldn't connect to wifi at all. Until you showed how to use the Web Manager to connect. Now it seems to connect nicely. It even connects to a Wifi Extender I bought, which it never did connect.

I think if you use the Web Manager, it now seems to connect no matter how I do it. Yeah, I just tested it (disconnected/connected) and it works through the normal means. The key was the Web Manager.

But I think I'm going hardwired, I have 100 ft of ethernet cable arriving today. The speed difference is dramatic. I will have to tape over that blasted blinking ethernet port light ;)
4 years 4 months ago #45990

• Thank you received: 6
Just for your information, I just installed 1.4.5 instead of 1.4.4 on my rpi3b+ server. I didn't meet with any WIFI problem. The hotspot is available ~ 1 mn after start up and the connection to the client laptop is perfectly stable.
Pierre-Yves
4 years 4 months ago #45994

• Thank you received: 40

Replied by David Tate on topic 1.4.5 Wifi Issues

Yes, I suppose the Hotspot was fine... I did see it connected, but I've never used it. Only the Wifi. I control my rig from a distance than I can imagine a hotspot would work.
4 years 4 months ago #46001

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic 1.4.5 Wifi Issues

That’s because you are not using an rpi4, as that’s where the problems lie... :) also with rpi3b+ you are not in 64bit, so really on your system it should be very stable...
4 years 4 months ago #46020

@ AstroNerd
Thanks for the details.
For the time being, I am happy with my Rpi3. I still wait a bit before moving my setup on a Rpi4.
PY
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 4 months ago #46022

Replied by Riccardo Sallusti on topic 1.4.5 Wifi Issues

In my opinion it's not a 5Ghz issue.
I was able to use 5Ghz band in 1.4.4 as well, with just one issue, that I'm finding also in 1.4.5:

The default hotspot, in my case, always connects to 2.5Ghz band however, I can manually force it to 5Ghz from the Network configuration window, but after saving thew new configuration the line
address1=10.250.250.1/24,10.250.250.1
is automatically overwritten by the system, and you loose the 10.250.250.1 static IP, and the Network Manager automatically chose a dynamic IP in the order if 10.42.0.1 for StellarMate AP.
The only way I solved this was to MANUALLY edit the "stellarmate" Network Configuration file adding again the deleted line, to get the static IP again.
It seems the Network Manager does not permit to set a static IP for an Access Point (IPv4 section of the configuration), so your original stellarmate configuration file is forcing it.
See picture, greyed out IP is not editable.

Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Riccardo Sallusti.
4 years 4 months ago #46025
Attachments:

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic 1.4.5 Wifi Issues

Yes, this is a big problem indeed and it's not KDE related. Mate/Gnome have the same issue and they do not respect the ipv4 static settings. I will have to update StellarMate Network Monitor to ensure the hotspot always remains 10.250.250.1
4 years 4 months ago #46026

Yes, this is exactly what is happening, and has on mine too, but seems to run ok with that new ip....so what am I missing...?
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by AstroNerd.
4 years 4 months ago #46029

Replied by Riccardo Sallusti on topic 1.4.5 Wifi Issues

You are absolutely right, the new IP works.
However, from a technical perspective, I understand why the developer wants to force a static IP, so that every user, everywhere, has a StellarMate gadget with a static IP, same for everyone: 10.250.250.1.
It's a standardization matter, for help, support and everything similar: imagine people who are not so able with computers and do barely know what an IP is... ;)

Cheers
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Riccardo Sallusti.
4 years 4 months ago #46032

Yes, excellent point.... ?
4 years 4 months ago #46043

Time to create page: 1.114 seconds