INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astrohat - An open hardware RPi Hat for astronomy equipment

• Thank you received: 69
Anyone able to guess if the hat alone would fit onto a Odroid-N2 without modification?

www.hardkernel.com/blog-2/odroid-n2/http...om/blog-2/odroid-n2/
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Jerry Black.
4 years 4 months ago #46352

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140

All well and good but would not work on what this thread is about...... :)
4 years 4 months ago #46354

• Thank you received: 182
"All well and good but would not work on what this thread is about"

I'm not so sure, it just might be possible. That's why I showed the image with my current cooling solution.

I agree that with the conventional HAT design, which sits directly on top of the Pi board this would not work. That would fatally interfere with the cooling, whichever way you try to cut it.

However, this tower is hands down THE BEST cooling solution for the Pi4 (check out Christopher Barnatt's video on this cooler and how it compares to other solutions:
)

So I thought it might be worth exploring at this early stage, whether the AstroHAT can be designed in a way that allows incorporating this top of the line cooler for the RPi4 into the assembly.

I just think that might be possible, all that is required is to add some GPIO connection extension adapters that allow it to be moved up above the cooler. The 3D designs can easily be modified to make a case that incorporates the HAT with the cooler sandwiched in between the HAT and the Pi4 board and forming essentially a wind tunnel the cooling air is being sucked through, thus cooling the Pi4 and the HAT at the same time.

Worst case scenario, one can just use a cable to connect the HAT to the PI4 board ( core-electronics.com.au/raspberry-pi-b-g...-cable-40-pin-6.html ), but having a solid GPIO extender of the correct length would be preferable. That must exists somewhere.

It may be sufficient to stack 2 of these connectors on top of each other to clear the tower: cnclablb.com/raspberry-pi-gpio-tall-header-2x20.html

I would LOVE to have that construction on my rig. At the moment, I have 3 power lines running up the rig, one for the 12V needed to run the mount and the dew strips, one to power the USB hub and one to power the RPi4. If I could replace that with a single power line running to the HAT/RPi4 and everything else being powered off that, that would be ideal.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Jose Corazon.
4 years 4 months ago #46355

Adding to my last post, Pierros, if you think that would be feasible, then I would suggest including a ground and a +5V pin on the BOTTOM of the board, to allow for the direct connection of the tower cooling fan (without having to run the wires around the HAT board and connect them to the pins on top).
4 years 4 months ago #46356

• Thank you received: 9
Active cooling is probably not required.
The RPI foundation have recently released a new firmware for RPI4 with better thermal management.
There are passive cooled cases which rival active cooling now available.
Ambient temperature outside at night works to reduce heating.
Finally, active cooling adds bulk and complexity.

I'd like to add a vote for focus motor driver be added
locking or latched DC connectors would be icing on the cake
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Rob.
4 years 4 months ago #46360

Maybe not required, but for most of the time that Pi4 runs at 30 degrees C at RT. That can only be good. It crashes far less than my also actively cooled Pi4, but that one only has a fan blowing down on the heatsink. That goes up to 70 degrees C, which is when it is being throttled. I suspect that's one reason why it crashes more often.

No matter, with the design Pierros has posted so far, I can make this work with my large active cooling fan.

Really looking forward to implementing this!

Best

Jo
4 years 4 months ago #46366

Depends on whether the ODroid has the same GPIO pin configuration. If it does, it might.

If push comes to shove, your ODroid will go up in flames and you will finally be able to buy an RPi4 in good conscience..... :)
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Jose Corazon.
4 years 4 months ago #46367

• Thank you received: 69
Well I actually have both already :)

I find I prefer the Odroid-N2, seems snappier. Much of that is likely due to the eMMC vs SD.

I'm a complete novice with electronics, so this looks similar, but maybe not sufficiently so.

4 years 4 months ago #46368
Attachments:

I leave it to Pierros to decide whether that would work or not. My way of putting together PC components involves switching on the power and then watching closely whether I see smoke or sparks somewhere.
I had a slight wiring mishap a few years ago and as it happened, my wife came into the room as the motherboard was literally sending up smoke signals.
I still have not lived that one down, that is a favorite story of hers whenever the topic of any conversation drifts into computers and electronics.

As for the Odroid being snappier, I think you have put your finger on the money. It's the eMMC that makes all the difference. I am booting my Pi4 off an SSD and the difference between that and booting from an SD card is also pretty stunning.
4 years 4 months ago #46369

• Thank you received: 38

Noted! I am all for leaving extra ports for things that might be useful in the future ;) Although I think that the cooling tower is a bit of an overkill as others said (due to latest developments on firmware and target environments). I will be adding a port of 5V+ and GND with a simple JST-XH connector just in case though ;)
4 years 4 months ago #46371

Please send links to any suggested ones! Would love to get some input on viable replacements for 5.5x2.1 DC plugs (while possibly retaining backwards compat?)
4 years 4 months ago #46372

Electrically speaking they seem compatible. I wouldn't be worried about the signal levels and GND positions too much, but rather be extremely worried about the software side of things and how we can access this "Extra" functionality we are asking from pins.

I am really pushing the envelope with RPi4 alternative functions on pins and trying to squeeze out as much functionality as possible, such as i2C, 2x SPI, Serial TTL, many GPIOs and PWMs.. so yeah, it would have to involve some testing to verify compatibility, but it will not elect a new pope in the process of doing so ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black
4 years 4 months ago #46373

Time to create page: 1.728 seconds