INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astrohat - An open hardware RPi Hat for astronomy equipment

• Thank you received: 2

For me, it's all about real estate on the top of my scope. Most focus controller boxes are quite big. I have a Microtouch controller but it was just too big to be mounted on the scope conveniently.

Steve
4 years 3 months ago #46431

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 26
Hi ppapadeas,

Great idea!
I had a similar idea, as follows:
A board with a microcontroller (Teensy 3.2) controlling two (at least) heaters and a motor focuser. Also on the board a LM2596 power converter to power the Pi and the microcontroller.
It measures the temperature right below the heaters (at the telescope) with thermistors so as to have an actual regulator. I intend to use a HDC1080 to measure ambient temperature and humidity.
I see two dew-controller modes: temperature tracking (with a few degrees offset to correct for discrepancies) or dew point tracking (again, with an offset).

For the focus motor, I think using the TMC2130 is great because the current can be regulated by SPI (forget about trimpots) and the possibility to use 'stallguard' as a sensorless homing feature. Then the focuser can start at the point it was used at the last time.
I would use the Teensy because it can have it's own firmware, and possibly also operate in a stand-alone fashion, using a cheap (or expensive, if that's your flavour) IR remote control for the focus and the heater controller.

Currently I have stripped the 'MyFocuserPro2' firmware and installed it on the teensy. It does communicate and everything so... great!
Only thing is, I've tried connect it directly to the UART of the Rpi 4 (enabling serial in raspi-config) but unfortunately it doesn't connect. Using a TTL-USB converter I can connect it.

A nice add-on would be to incorporate a RTC, or even use a GPS.

Cheers,
Bart

Edit: I've added a photo of what I'm working on at the moment.
Rpi4 connects with the mount via bluetooth. Only one cable goes to the telescope: 12V power.
And working on making a battery-pack counterweight.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Bart. Reason: add photo
4 years 3 months ago #46458
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 26
Small update: in INDI control panel, using the port setting 'dev/ttyS0' made all the difference.

Now my focuser connects via the UART port.
4 years 3 months ago #46474

• Thank you received: 38
After a bit of waiting for production and shipping the first version of the PCB and the components arrived!
Now I can start the assembly and hopefully start testing really soon. I will keep this thread updated with details.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 years 2 months ago #47572
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 140

Looking forward to seeing these.... :)
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by AstroNerd.
4 years 2 months ago #47573

• Thank you received: 223
This is very interesting, here's a feature that would be great to have on this amazing board: switchable USB's ports.
I personally use www.yepkit.com/products/ykush and it's excellent.
4 years 2 months ago #47575

• Thank you received: 9
I am not wishing to hijack here. Full respect and consideration to ppapadeas.
Gonzo the great, You should contact the maker and suggest a combined USB 3 switcher and the raspi power button all on a board / hat to fit the raspi. Would have applications beyond astro stuff.

This is very interesting, here's a feature that would be great to have on this amazing board: switchable USB's ports.
I personally use www.yepkit.com/products/ykush and it's excellent.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Rob.
4 years 2 months ago #47599

For switchable USBs there is an ongoing development process on RPi4 to make sure you can individually control the existing USBs on RPi4
github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/3079

As a general note adding a USB switch on the existing board would be not really feasible since we dont have a way to do that through the RPi hat-pinout. (and adding an extra cable to a USB port kinda defeats the purpose of a "hat")
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 2 months ago #47601

First board assembled with almost all components (since we have 3 identical double channels, I just soldered one to test it).

Initial tests look good, RPi4 booted OK, i2c devices responding, and channels seem to be switchable. Now I need to write a bit of software to drive the controllable voltage channel and test it :)

Please disregard the fact that the board needs cleaning after the initial assembly ;) (I know.. IPA... but the ultrasonic cleaner is yet to arrive) More updates soon!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Jim, Brian, Rolf Meyerhoff, Acapulco Rolf
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Pierros Papadeas.
4 years 2 months ago #47629

Testing of board version 1.0 is progressing well. I have identified a couple of issues and changes needed to make things easier for testing/debugging and enhance functionality (you can follow development in the repo). In the meantime I am re-evaluating some of the assumptions around the needed functionality (especially for the presence of RTC since we will be having a GPS so...) but would like the input on those from as many possible users as possible.

If you can spare 2 minutes, you could help me by going to this survey link:

>> forms.gle/2hAYnpcskWXV3MWS9
and answer to some quick (choice) questions.

Thanks a lot in advance for everyone's input!
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Pierros Papadeas.
4 years 2 months ago #47876

• Thank you received: 140

Filled in and submitted form for you
Supeb project
4 years 2 months ago #47878

• Thank you received: 5
4 years 2 months ago #47879

Time to create page: 0.892 seconds