INDI Library v1.8.5 Released (19 Apr 2020)

April 2020 release of INDI Library v1.8.5 introduces new drivers while providing fixes and improvements to existing devices and core framework.

Astrohat - An open hardware RPi Hat for astronomy equipment

6 months 1 day ago
SmackAstro
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
More
Astrohat - An open hardware RPi Hat for astronomy equipment #46431

ppapadeas wrote: Motor control is a bit of an overkill at this point imho, mainly because most of the newer focusers have the control integrated, but please let me know if you feel this is a showstopper.

For me, it's all about real estate on the top of my scope. Most focus controller boxes are quite big. I have a Microtouch controller but it was just too big to be mounted on the scope conveniently.

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 months 20 hours ago 6 months 7 hours ago by Bart. Reason: add photo
Bart
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Astrohat - An open hardware RPi Hat for astronomy equipment #46458
Hi ppapadeas,

Great idea!
I had a similar idea, as follows:
A board with a microcontroller (Teensy 3.2) controlling two (at least) heaters and a motor focuser. Also on the board a LM2596 power converter to power the Pi and the microcontroller.
It measures the temperature right below the heaters (at the telescope) with thermistors so as to have an actual regulator. I intend to use a HDC1080 to measure ambient temperature and humidity.
I see two dew-controller modes: temperature tracking (with a few degrees offset to correct for discrepancies) or dew point tracking (again, with an offset).

For the focus motor, I think using the TMC2130 is great because the current can be regulated by SPI (forget about trimpots) and the possibility to use 'stallguard' as a sensorless homing feature. Then the focuser can start at the point it was used at the last time.
I would use the Teensy because it can have it's own firmware, and possibly also operate in a stand-alone fashion, using a cheap (or expensive, if that's your flavour) IR remote control for the focus and the heater controller.

Currently I have stripped the 'MyFocuserPro2' firmware and installed it on the teensy. It does communicate and everything so... great!
Only thing is, I've tried connect it directly to the UART of the Rpi 4 (enabling serial in raspi-config) but unfortunately it doesn't connect. Using a TTL-USB converter I can connect it.

A nice add-on would be to incorporate a RTC, or even use a GPS.

Cheers,
Bart

Edit: I've added a photo of what I'm working on at the moment.
Rpi4 connects with the mount via bluetooth. Only one cable goes to the telescope: 12V power.
And working on making a battery-pack counterweight.

15 cm wavefront condensor | Earth rotation undo-er | Few photon discriminator plates | Photons to electrons transmogrifier | Stellarmate
Attachments:

6 months 6 hours ago
Bart
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Astrohat - An open hardware RPi Hat for astronomy equipment #46474
Small update: in INDI control panel, using the port setting 'dev/ttyS0' made all the difference.

Now my focuser connects via the UART port.

15 cm wavefront condensor | Earth rotation undo-er | Few photon discriminator plates | Photons to electrons transmogrifier | Stellarmate

5 months 2 hours ago
ppapadeas
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
More
Topic Author
Astrohat - An open hardware RPi Hat for astronomy equipment #47572
After a bit of waiting for production and shipping the first version of the PCB and the components arrived!
Now I can start the assembly and hopefully start testing really soon. I will keep this thread updated with details.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You knro

5 months 1 hour ago 4 months 4 weeks ago by AstroNerd.
AstroNerd
More
Astrohat - An open hardware RPi Hat for astronomy equipment #47573

ppapadeas wrote: After a bit of waiting for production and shipping the first version of the PCB and the components arrived!
Now I can start the assembly and hopefully start testing really soon. I will keep this thread updated with details.

Looking forward to seeing these.... :)

Stellarmate OS BETA on Raspberry pi4b
Skywatcher EQ8 pro
Meade series 5000 80mm triplet Apo & Meade 8” SCT (de-forked)
Starlight Xpress SXVR H18, SXVR M25c, Lodestar Guide Camera
Pegasus Ultimate Hub for all USB & Power
Pegasus focus motors on both scopes

5 months 1 hour ago
Gonzothegreat
Administrator
Administrator
More
Astrohat - An open hardware RPi Hat for astronomy equipment #47575
This is very interesting, here's a feature that would be great to have on this amazing board: switchable USB's ports.
I personally use www.yepkit.com/products/ykush and it's excellent.

Kstars Mac osx
Odroid C1 running indiserver (kept up-to-date with apt-get update/upgrade)
HEQ5 pro / QHY5L-II-M (OAG) / Atik 314L+ / Gerd Neumann drawer

4 months 4 weeks ago 4 months 4 weeks ago by Robomort.
Robomort
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
More
Astrohat - An open hardware RPi Hat for astronomy equipment #47599
I am not wishing to hijack here. Full respect and consideration to ppapadeas.
Gonzo the great, You should contact the maker and suggest a combined USB 3 switcher and the raspi power button all on a board / hat to fit the raspi. Would have applications beyond astro stuff.

This is very interesting, here's a feature that would be great to have on this amazing board: switchable USB's ports.
I personally use www.yepkit.com/products/ykush and it's excellent.

4 months 4 weeks ago
ppapadeas
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
More
Topic Author
Astrohat - An open hardware RPi Hat for astronomy equipment #47601
For switchable USBs there is an ongoing development process on RPi4 to make sure you can individually control the existing USBs on RPi4
github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/3079

As a general note adding a USB switch on the existing board would be not really feasible since we dont have a way to do that through the RPi hat-pinout. (and adding an extra cable to a USB port kinda defeats the purpose of a "hat")
The following user(s) said Thank You AstroNerd

4 months 4 weeks ago 4 months 4 weeks ago by ppapadeas.
ppapadeas
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
More
Topic Author
Astrohat - An open hardware RPi Hat for astronomy equipment #47629
First board assembled with almost all components (since we have 3 identical double channels, I just soldered one to test it).

Initial tests look good, RPi4 booted OK, i2c devices responding, and channels seem to be switchable. Now I need to write a bit of software to drive the controllable voltage channel and test it :)

Please disregard the fact that the board needs cleaning after the initial assembly ;) (I know.. IPA... but the ultrasonic cleaner is yet to arrive) More updates soon!

The following user(s) said Thank You knro, xsnrg, starman345, RoMe, Acapulco Rolf

4 months 3 weeks ago 4 months 3 weeks ago by ppapadeas.
ppapadeas
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
More
Topic Author
Astrohat - An open hardware RPi Hat for astronomy equipment #47876
Testing of board version 1.0 is progressing well. I have identified a couple of issues and changes needed to make things easier for testing/debugging and enhance functionality (you can follow development in the repo). In the meantime I am re-evaluating some of the assumptions around the needed functionality (especially for the presence of RTC since we will be having a GPS so...) but would like the input on those from as many possible users as possible.

If you can spare 2 minutes, you could help me by going to this survey link:

>> forms.gle/2hAYnpcskWXV3MWS9
and answer to some quick (choice) questions.

Thanks a lot in advance for everyone's input!

4 months 3 weeks ago
AstroNerd
More
Astrohat - An open hardware RPi Hat for astronomy equipment #47878

ppapadeas wrote: Testing of board version 1.0 is progressing well. I have identified a couple of issues and changes needed to make things easier for testing/debugging and enhance functionality (you can follow development in the repo). In the meantime I am re-evaluating some of the assumptions around the needed functionality (especially for the presence of RTC since we will be having a GPS so...) but would like the input on those from as many possible users as possible.

If you can spare 2 minutes, you could help me by going to this survey link:

>> forms.gle/2hAYnpcskWXV3MWS9
and answer to some quick (choice) questions.

Thanks a lot in advance for everyone's input!

Filled in and submitted form for you
Supeb project

Stellarmate OS BETA on Raspberry pi4b
Skywatcher EQ8 pro
Meade series 5000 80mm triplet Apo & Meade 8” SCT (de-forked)
Starlight Xpress SXVR H18, SXVR M25c, Lodestar Guide Camera
Pegasus Ultimate Hub for all USB & Power
Pegasus focus motors on both scopes

4 months 3 weeks ago
Supaii
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Astrohat - An open hardware RPi Hat for astronomy equipment #47879
Submit

Time to create page: 1.890 seconds