INDI Library v1.8.5 Released (19 Apr 2020)

April 2020 release of INDI Library v1.8.5 introduces new drivers while providing fixes and improvements to existing devices and core framework.

Anomalies in KStars/Ekos/Indi time using GPS

8 months 1 day ago
Ihoujin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Topic Author
Anomalies in KStars/Ekos/Indi time using GPS #46488
I have been experiencing a very unusual glitch that manifested as an apparent drift in the telescope location on the sky map over time, while the physical mount tracked properly. After careful observation I noticed that each time the GPSD driver refreshed itself, rather than fetching the correct time it instead applied the time of the very first fix obtained, effectively turning back the clock each time.

As a work around I can switch the GPSD time source from GPS to System, which is properly set with NTP.
For clarity, the system run GPSD service is getting the correct time, confirmed via gpsmon and cgps

INDI/KStars on Raspberry Pi 4, 4gb
Raspbian Buster with AstroPi3 script configuration
Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro Mount
Canon 600D Camera
Orion SSAG/ASI120mm @280mm Guide Scope
PHD2
Adafruit Motor Hat shield
Adafruit GPS Module
Generic Bluetooth Joystick.
Startech 7 port powered USB Hub.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 months 10 hours ago
Ihoujin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Topic Author
Anomalies in KStars/Ekos/Indi time using GPS #46525
If this is not repeatable and I'm the only one experiencing it, I would like to know, maybe the issue is in my configuration.
Although I believe I experienced this on my retired raspberry pi 3 as well. I'll probably have to check.

Canon 600D Camera
PHD2
Adafruit GPS Module

7 months 4 weeks ago
stash
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Anomalies in KStars/Ekos/Indi time using GPS #46554
No your are not the only one, I get this now and again - but as it happened with Astroberry testing and "virual GPSD Device" I thought it was just a glitch as Astroberry is so new.

Just wonder is there so kind of Cache problem that is giving "old" data when new data is not available - failed fix or no fix or time out !.

I would admit that I would still expect the time to catch up when a new "fix" was correctly acquired which I think it does with my version of he problem.

Again using CGPS etc produces the correct time so the problem should not be the std Linux GPSD service but with the client maybe.

The only way I stop this effecting anything is to stop the refresh (Indi's refresh time made longer) after you have got a decent fix and intial time set up - I presume afer this you dont need time or location updae anyway - or is RPI time that bad once set ?

A hard error to find I guess!

I use Ublox7 .

So you are not going mad :-)

RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????

7 months 4 weeks ago
Ihoujin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Topic Author
Anomalies in KStars/Ekos/Indi time using GPS #46557
Phew. I have a reliable signal with an external antenna attached, so getting the fix is no issue. And yes, setting the refresh to 0 is one way around it too. But I've also observed it will initially sync to the beginning of Unix time in 1970. And then, once refreshed with a fix to the current time it is susceptible to that reset.

Canon 600D Camera
PHD2
Adafruit GPS Module

7 months 3 weeks ago
Avocette
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Anomalies in KStars/Ekos/Indi time using GPS #46900
My signature explains how I use KStars/Ekos/Indi. On a cloudy night last night, I (finally) sat down and looked in detail at the way my GPS data updates the RPi4 system time and KStars time and location. I am running GPSD with gpsd-clients and python-gps installed and I am also running chrony to update the system clock.
Within a minute or so of switching on, the system time updates to GPS time. I then open KStars and note that the LT display matches the system clock. I run Ekos with a simulator profile with GPSD. The next GPS fix updates time and location in KStars, but the KStars LT display is now approximately 6 seconds behind system time. Setting KStars time to Now (Ctl+E) updates the LT to system time again, but any updating by the GPS makes the LT appear to be 6 seconds slow again. It's not critical and I can work around this, but wonder if someone has noticed the same anomalies?

Currently running KStars/Ekos/Indi on a Raspberry Pi 4B 2GByte under Raspbian thanks to Astroberry
Sky-Watcher ED80 Pro with 0.85x FR/Corrector with Canon DSLR on AZ-EQ5 GT mount
Other Sky-Watcher scopes - SkyMax 150 Pro Maksutov Cassegrain and Explorer 150p Newtonian

7 months 3 weeks ago
Ihoujin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Topic Author
Anomalies in KStars/Ekos/Indi time using GPS #46935

Canon 600D Camera
PHD2
Adafruit GPS Module

7 months 2 weeks ago
AstroNerd
More
Anomalies in KStars/Ekos/Indi time using GPS #46945

Avocette wrote: My signature explains how I use KStars/Ekos/Indi. On a cloudy night last night, I (finally) sat down and looked in detail at the way my GPS data updates the RPi4 system time and KStars time and location. I am running GPSD with gpsd-clients and python-gps installed and I am also running chrony to update the system clock.
Within a minute or so of switching on, the system time updates to GPS time. I then open KStars and note that the LT display matches the system clock. I run Ekos with a simulator profile with GPSD. The next GPS fix updates time and location in KStars, but the KStars LT display is now approximately 6 seconds behind system time. Setting KStars time to Now (Ctl+E) updates the LT to system time again, but any updating by the GPS makes the LT appear to be 6 seconds slow again. It's not critical and I can work around this, but wonder if someone has noticed the same anomalies?

I have tried to move this to the older thread mentioned above, as requested, but for some reason I am having issues, I have asked Jasem to try.. :)

Stellarmate OS on Raspberry pi4b
Skywatcher EQ8 pro, on steel pier
Takahashi FSQ85 & Meade 8” SCT (de-forked)
Starlight Xpress SXVR H18, SXVR M25c, Lodestar x2 Guide Camera
Pegasus Ultimate Hub V2 for all USB & Power
Pegasus focus motors on both scopes

7 months 2 weeks ago
Ihoujin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Topic Author
Anomalies in KStars/Ekos/Indi time using GPS #46952
For some bizarre reason, Avocette's thread originally titled Anomalies-in-kstars-ekos-indi-time-using-gps, ID # 6132 was mashed together with this thread discussing guiding calibration.
And yesterday I noticed something was off when I replied once, then later the page had a 403 error, seemingly the thread was removed, but reposted, to which I repeated my reply referencing the GPSD glitch I had previously reported.

Canon 600D Camera
PHD2
Adafruit GPS Module

7 months 2 weeks ago
AstroNerd
More
Anomalies in KStars/Ekos/Indi time using GPS #46959

Ihoujin wrote: For some bizarre reason, Avocette's thread originally titled Anomalies-in-kstars-ekos-indi-time-using-gps, ID # 6132 was mashed together with this thread discussing guiding calibration.
And yesterday I noticed something was off when I replied once, then later the page had a 403 error, seemingly the thread was removed, but reposted, to which I repeated my reply referencing the GPSD glitch I had previously reported.

Yes there was an issue yesterday, which I reported to Jasem as I could not merge the post as was requested, I asked him to try and do it, and then Jasem moved to the wrong thread...I have told him, and he said he was going to fix...there have been issues with the forum and he has been working on it... :)

7 months 2 weeks ago
Ihoujin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Topic Author
Anomalies in KStars/Ekos/Indi time using GPS #46978
As it stands, this entire thread's title has been incorrectly relabeled and the GPS posts are still combined with it.

Canon 600D Camera
PHD2
Adafruit GPS Module

7 months 2 weeks ago
AstroNerd
More
Anomalies in KStars/Ekos/Indi time using GPS #46991

Ihoujin wrote: As it stands, this entire thread's title has been incorrectly relabeled and the GPS posts are still combined with it.

I have informed Jasem, that he has got it wrong....... :(

Time to create page: 0.368 seconds