INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI install Rpi 4 Buster

• Thank you received: 17
I am trying to follow instructions from here:

indilib.org/forum/ekos/5429-raspberrypi-...-kstars.html?start=0

to install INDI on my new Rpi 4 with the buster operating system release.
I have downloaded the prerequisite files in the ~/indi directory.
I ran the cmake into the ~/indi/build/indilib directory (note: the last parameter in cmake is the source not the destination folder) and as such the command:
sudo cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ../../libindi seems incorrect as they had just created the libindi directory with nothing in it? so I ran it from the indi directory instead
while in the build/indilib directory. So I have populated the indi directory with downloads and build/linindi directory with a bunch of indi_xxxx files.

Now the script says to :
"cd /home/pi/indi/build
mkdir 3rdparty
cd 3rdparty
sudo cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ../../3rdparty
sudo make
sudo make install
sudo cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ../../3rdparty
sudo make
sudo make install"

which again is running cmake from a directory '3rdparty' which was just created empty and then to run the same command twice????

At this point I am confused.

Should I start over and is so where?

thanks,
Ron
4 years 4 months ago #47018

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ok, I assume I have installed the core of Indi with as far as I got, so I am going here:

github.com/indilib/indi-3rdparty

and following instructions to install individual 3rd party equipment that I have.

Ron
4 years 4 months ago #47021

My purpose was to upgrade my equipment (RPI - 4) to support USB 3.0 for an eventual new camera. But maybe I am going about this the wrong way. Previously I have used an Indi server on an RPI 3 to interface to my equipment, but the last time I installed that was a couple of years ago. Perhaps what I should be doing here is to try the Astroberry server. It seems it supports the RPi 4 and the Buster opsys. I just assumed I had to do things from scratch.

Any comments.
Ron
4 years 4 months ago #47022

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic INDI install Rpi 4 Buster

A good place to start is with the AstroPi script. It will setup just about everything you need for you.
www.indilib.org/forum/general/5524-astro...scripts-revised.html
4 years 4 months ago #47023

• Thank you received: 138
I agree, Roy Lancaster's AstroPi3 scripts are excellent and automate practically all the setup process. The instructions mentioned above predate this.

All I'd do between installing Raspbian and running them is sort out the system and user names. System name is easy, but changing the principal user name is more dificult because it needs doing in a number of places and ways.

Chris
4 years 4 months ago #47029

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic INDI install Rpi 4 Buster

So have you already done all this (Below) and got a working INdI install, as the bit you list above is just for the 3rd party drivers, you can try first without them to se if you have it working..

sudo apt-get install libnova-dev libcfitsio-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev zlib1g-dev libgsl-dev build-essential cmake git libjpeg-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libtiff-dev
sudo apt-get install libftdi-dev libgps-dev libraw-dev libdc1394-22-dev libgphoto2-dev libboost-dev libboost-regex-dev librtlsdr-dev liblimesuite-dev libftdi1-dev

cd /home/pi
git clone github.com/indilib/indi.git
cd indi

mkdir -p build/libindi
cd /home/pi/indi/build/libindi
sudo cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ../../libindi
sudo make
sudo make install
4 years 4 months ago #47031

• Thank you received: 375
You can install everything you need from astroberry.io repository. You don't need necessarily install whole Astroberry. Take a look at this info indilib.org/download/raspberry-pi.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 4 months ago #47032

Thanks for your input. As it turns out I have overdone what I need. My first install using the old script does work. I can run the indi server and I seem to have most of the built in drivers, but I am not so sure about the 3rd party drivers (more on that later).
Because I became confused about what goes where I then installed a full Astroberry (under a new user as it does) and that works also.

Now to my specifics: the equipment I have includes a Celestron CGEM mount that requires a serial connection from the RPI (I have the serial adapter that connects thru the GIO pins), an SX filter wheel, an SX lodestar guide camera and an SBIG 8300M CCD. I have not tested them, but I am assuming everything but the CGEM serial connection is already built into the std Indi drivers (please correct me if I am wrong). My intention is to only use this RPI as a local Indi server at the scope to interface to the equipment. I have a PC (in a warm place) that I can run EKOS and control the equipment. I have tried the connection and it works. I also have VNC Viewer running in case I need to access the RPI.

I may start from scratch just to clean things up and try one of the later scripts getting only what I need.

thanks again,
ron
4 years 4 months ago #47044

I guess there is one more thing, once I have it running I will want to startup the Indiserver headless (from a start up command line), so I will need to have everything in place so that when it starts it loads the correct drivers.

Ron
4 years 4 months ago #47045

• Thank you received: 138
The Celestron GPS driver is part of the core indi build, almost all CCD drvers are in 3rdParty, not sure about the filter wheel (or focuser?)

The indi web manager gives a way to set up the remote drivers headless and this can be set so the indi server starts with your selected drivers when the headless system starts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ronald Scotti
4 years 4 months ago #47062

Thanks, I believe I am going the Astroberry route because; it loads fine, I believe it contains all the drivers I need, I can run it as just a headless server at the rig or I can run full kstars at the rig and control it over a remote connection to another computer. As I have read the downside of the second approach is a laggy desktop (maybe the RPI 4 will be better?), I think my solution to this is to save my planned configuration ahead of time. I will need to access the RPi at the rig for focus and alignment, which I think I can do using a laptop just as a monitor and keyboard for the RPi.

Does Astroberry work with remote desktop (xrdp) or only VNC connection?

thanks,
Ron
4 years 4 months ago #47070

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic INDI install Rpi 4 Buster

I believe Astroberry has a browser based RDP built in.
4 years 4 months ago #47074

Time to create page: 1.476 seconds