INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

For those with focus issues

• Thank you received: 559
Magnus,

Sorry, looked at your log and something is clearly broken (I mean likely software) for your setup.
I'll look further. Which moonlight focuser are you using?

It didn't look to me like you had any successful focus runs with Linear. Is that correct?

Hy
4 years 1 day ago #51253

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

No problem, just glad if I can on the one hand, understand something, on the other, contribute to your great work!!! :) Maybe I missed some settings?

I'm doing polynomial now, works great with full field :)

I have a MyFocuser Pro (1st version), that I built myself with an arduino board. It controls a Baader Diamond focuser on my Skywatcher 100 ED Pro, f 7.6.

Magnus
4 years 1 day ago #51254

• Thank you received: 559
Magnus,

I may not have much time later today to look into it, but a quick initial look shows that:

Now I'm not sure if it's sortware or hardware.

it is asking the focuser to move to a certain position to start, and the focuser doesn't get there, and the Linear algorithm doesn't
reset to the new position that the focuser is insisting on.

For instance, in the first attempt.
Starts at 10760
Linear wants to start its sweep at 11160, but does this by planning to go out to 11660, then back in 500 to 11160 (It doesn't violate max position, but it is ignoring max travel)
So it requests that the moonlight go to 11660. Indi copies that. But the focuser reports getting to 10916.
*** Do you have some kind of backlash removal active or something like that that could be confusing it?
The Linear focus seems to ignore this discrepancy and then moves back in by 500 which gets it to 10416 (instead of 11660) and now things are messed up and Linear isn't recovering well.

2nd focus session:

Starts at 11000
Plans to go out to 11900 and back to 11400.
But only gets to 11134 and then goes back to 10634.
Same finish as above.

I'm not sure why your focuser is not going out to the position requested in the first outward movement.
It seems to work fine for the inward movements, but not the outward movements.

Does it all work well in polynomial?

Can you manually command it to move out to these positions and back in?
4 years 1 day ago #51255

Hi!

No backlash removal that I know of... to the best of my knowledge, there is none in the MyFocuser Pro ver 1. And no mechanical stuff like that.

I can try tomorrow to see if I manually can move it to those positons. Right now it is imaging...

Polynomial works fine, and tonight even better than usual (if because we have real clear skies, or because I use full field with annulus set properly, I do not know.

I'll try tomorrow.

Magnus
4 years 1 day ago #51256

Hi!

So, I have no problems in moving to those positions and positions beyond them (in the 12000 range) manually.

Magnus
4 years 1 day ago #51267

• Thank you received: 138
Some focus problems are caused by outliers - hot pixels and extended sources such as galaxies. Would these be more effectively removed by changing the full field HFR determination to use the median rather than the average HFR value. This will cause extreme values to be ignored quite naturally.
4 years 1 day ago #51273

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Giles on topic For those with focus issues

Or even better discard the 5% smallest and biggest outliers and take the mean of the remaining detections.
4 years 1 day ago #51275

• Thank you received: 133
With 50+ stars you might as well do a winzorized sigma clipping. Or maybe even linear clipping. For only one 'pixel' the computational overhead is not noticeable.
4 years 1 day ago #51277

Better? Why? How does an arbitrary change to the data make it better?

In actual fact the current code has an undocumented feature where the full set of HFRs is averaged, the standard deviation is determined, values that are more than two standard deviations from the original mean are removed and a new 'average' is determined.
This is statistically dubious, not only does this reduce the mean but the amount by which it is reduced will depend on the data. Maybe extended objects will be included sometimes but not in others.

The median is at least a valid way to determine a central value.
4 years 1 day ago #51278

What benefit does this have, other than be more complex?

From a look at the code the HFR array is already sorted so getting the median is easy.
4 years 1 day ago #51279

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Giles on topic For those with focus issues

If that is what is in the code then I would leave it as it is, in a binomial distribution 2 standard deviations within the mean would equate to 95% of samples, with those outside being discarded, so pretty much it is already discarding outliers then.

I'm not sure whether using an actual median value would be better in all cases, perhaps it would be nice to have the option to configure it either way.
4 years 1 day ago #51280

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:For those with focus issues

I wonder if the HFR of stars on a field is always a Poisson distribution. There are probably not enough of them in a focus frame to determine that and use that statistical property.

I am trying to introduce PSF in the CCD simulator to better test the different focus algorithms. SExtractor support will be there too relatively soon. We also need to display an interface for the SEP settings.

We also need to better document the features in the tooltips that appear in the UI.

Anyone has unused work days to spare? ;)

-Eric
4 years 1 day ago #51282

Time to create page: 1.005 seconds