INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:KStars Mac DMG 3.4.0 beta testing needed

• Thank you received: 41
Live, under the stars, with real ccd camera and goto mount it worked flawlessly. It worked in both scenarios: capturing images and loading previous images from disk. 100% success rate. The speed increase using sextractor is fabulous!
4 years 2 months ago #49469

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 812
Wonderful!

Mainly I did it so that we could support astrometry for those with python issues. I had first thought it was my imagination that it seemed faster. But yes it does seem faster. And even better, it has some settings and we could optimize it further to make it solve even faster I think
4 years 2 months ago #49470

• Thank you received: 139
Saw the final 3.4.0 release was out, but I ran the beta overnight under the stars, all worked well. Scheduler, PHD2, focus, sequences, and alignment. So happy to be able to run this on my main computer instead of my laptop. 3 monitors makes all the difference with all the various control panels.

Here's the image I shot. Short integration...poor seeing, but I like the practice.

File Attachment:
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Andrew Burwell.
4 years 2 months ago #49505

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,
Friday night taking advantage of a good evening,
I wanted to try everything seriously and not from home.
Unfortunately the result did not go well and I am sorry!
I point out that I used the beta 2 version, because beta 3 had given me problems.
I try to describe what happened:
1) I connected the whole set-up, turned it on and everything worked well.
2) I did the polar alignment with the polar finder and then I tried to make it more precise with the software, but something went wrong here
well, because it made me make absurd manual corrections,
despite the frame was already aligned and more in the various photos that come
taken in various positions, in reality the frame has never moved.
3) I made alignments on 3 distant stars using Sync mode and everything went well, but when I went on the object I wanted
photograph, when I clicked to sync, the software crashed !!!
4) I started again from the beginning and this time it worked, but when I arrived at the object that was not perfectly centered, the Slew to Target mode is not
managed to put it in the center! When I realized he couldn't, I stopped and the software crashed again!
5) I started again from the beginning and it seemed that everything worked, but when I did
zoom on the planetarium to see if the Plate Solver worked, the planetarium sky
it turned like an overexposed photo, very noisy and gray in color.
So you could not understand anything and in any case the object was not centered!
I tried to center it manually with Mount Control, but also in this case the software crashed !!!
6) I repeated all the operations again, but when everything was ready, I did
one test shot, but at the end the software crashed again!
7) Although due to all these problems I have not been able to make reliable tests, the guide I saw that it worked well!
From this evening I did not expect any results, because I wanted to do only gods
test to learn how to use this software, but it is obvious that ruining an evening like this was not very nice!
I hope this experience of mine can serve to improve.
4 years 2 months ago #49571

• Thank you received: 420
There were several issues with Beta2 that were fixed in Beta3. By now 3.4.0 has been releases so please install that and try again.
4 years 2 months ago #49592

Yes, the reason that the other Beta was released was because a number of issues were being worked on. We were working in this forum on trying to make Astrometry work better for some OS X users who had unusual python setups or machines that for some reason could not run the astrometry.net code, but there were other people that were working on other parts of KStars simultaneously.

Please try the latest version, 3.4.0, which was released. It should work for you. In your case I would definitely recommend running the homebrew astrometry.net as I told you how to do before, since for some reason your computer cannot run the astrometry code compiled on my machine. But if you are running the latest version it will make it much easier for us to track down or solve any issues. Otherwise a crash or issue you might encounter might be something that was already fixed.
4 years 2 months ago #49594

Okay, so it's not a Beta anymore,
but an official version?
But I didn't understand where the download is from.
4 years 2 months ago #49598

• Thank you received: 139

You can get it here , or from the download menu.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Andrew Burwell.
4 years 2 months ago #49600

• Thank you received: 28
Robert,

thanks for the great work. It also runs in my environment.

There is another point related to your work right now (perhaps we should move the discussion to another thread ?):
With KStars 3.0.0 I could use image2xy flawless, with the new 3.4.0 build when accessing it I get an:
zsh: illegal hardware instruction /Applications/KStars340.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/image2xy -O -o
My guess is that you compiled astrometry.net completely new. Is this right ? The error might occur if libraries might not be in 64bit, but some in 32 bit .
Thanks for you advice.
Michel
4 years 2 months ago #49610

I make an update and I remind you that they are in Simulator mode:
on the Mac pro 5.1 mid 2010 at home where I usually do tests,
if I use the new mode, sextractor configured as in the photo posted on page 9 of this post, it does not work and ends with the usual message "Error starting solver: Process crashed"
Putting the old setting back does not work.
By pure chance I realized that he was no longer able to find the Astrometry folder, so I pointed it out to him and started working again,
however it only works with the old setting.
The same happened on the laptop that is a MacBook Air early 2015
what, but when I put back the right path to the folder
Astrometry, everything worked and works on this computer
also with the new sextractor setting.
I don't know why ..... the two computers use the High Sierra system.
Maybe 5.1 is too old? ;-)
4 years 2 months ago #49615

• Thank you received: 223
Using the released 3.4.0
I am unable to save/load the config on any drivers, unless I unable logging in verbose mode.
4 years 2 months ago #49616

Hi Michel,

Actually I suspect this is the same issue that a couple of others have had. Everything I built was compiled in 64 bit since my system is a 2019 Mac with the latest OS. The old 3.0.0 was built on a 10 year old Mac that I was building the software on before, so that we could be sure that it was older than the computers most people would be using to run KStars. That ensured that there would be no issues with software running on an older computer that was built on a newer one which usually causes the issue you mentioned. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case here. I'm not sure why some Macs can't run this code. But an easy solution is to do what I explained in this post:

indilib.org/forum/ekos/5259-test-on-ksta....html?start=24#40216
4 years 2 months ago #49618

Time to create page: 0.404 seconds