INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Simultaneous captures with one ekos / kstars instance?

• Thank you received: 182

Marc,

I don't understand how that would correct the problem. Whether one starts a new instance of Kstars or uses a different imaging program, like Entangle or DSLR shutter, there would still be only one gphoto driver installed.
Would there not be the same conflict arising then?

Jo
4 years 2 months ago #49406

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 31
You need 2 Kstars AND 2 INDI servers, i.e. one INDI server listening on localhost and the other one listening on your Raspi.
One camera + mount are plugged to the distant PI, the second camera is plugged to your local machine driven by your local indiserver.
Then you connect with 2 Kstars, one to 127.0.0.1 and the other one to whatever your distant address is.
All you need is 2 different IP addresses. You can also use a hub with two ethernet connected PIs and a downlink to your computer, wireless or wired.
All those little gadgets (except the PI(s) of course!) work under 12Volts, just as your mount, so it is easy to set up.
The two kstars clients have to be launched under a different login.

- Marc

PS: I'm wondering if it would be possible to just have one distant Raspi with two indiservers, one listening on the usual 7624 port and the other indiserver listening on another port. As long as the two servers do not use the same FIFO pipe to exchange with their respective driver, it could work... The two kstars could connect one to (for example) 192.168.0.5:7624, and the other kstars connect to 192.168.0.5:7724, each indiserver having its own driver. Not sure ... I have something like this in mind.
To be tested.

#!/bin/bash

FIFO_FILE1=/tmp/indiserver1@your_raspi
FIFO_FILE2=/tmp/indiserver2@your_raspi

[ -e $FIFO_FILE1 ] && echo $FIFO_FILE1 already exists || mkfifo $FIFO_FILE1
/usr/bin/indiserver -v -m 100 -p 7624 -f $FIFO_FILE1 indi_eqmod_telescope indi_canon_ccd >> /var/log/indiserver1.log 2>&1 &

[ -e $FIFO_FILE2 ] && echo $FIFO_FILE2 already exists || mkfifo $FIFO_FILE2
/usr/bin/indiserver -v -m 100 -p 7724 -f $FIFO_FILE2 indi_sony_ccd >> /var/log/indiserver2.log 2>&1 &

- Marc
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Marc.
4 years 2 months ago #49413

• Thank you received: 182
Sounds complicated.

In that case, I would rather use 2 separate Pis, each running one camera, with only one controlling the mount. So basically the other Pi becomes a glorified remote controller for the second camera.

Having two Kstars instances running with the cameras potentially conflicting when downloading images and thus clogging the pipe is too difficult to control.

One other problem with 2 cameras, however, is dithering. That will invariably affect the images on the slave cam, unless that can be triggered to function synchronously with the primary camera.

That becomes way more complicated than originally anticipated, I'm afraid.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Jose Corazon.
4 years 2 months ago #49416

• Thank you received: 2
Well, i tried a bit with some scenarious ... i finally get both ccd with one indi server working (autoconnect off, manual connect the ccd). This is realy tricky to setup.

Tried with two kstars instances followed up to ccd connection loss ..

It seems that two pi's will be much more stressless :(
4 years 2 months ago #49463

Time to create page: 0.470 seconds