INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

USB 3.0 ports on Pi4-4GB

• Thank you received: 165
One thing to check, especially if the RPI4 is an older one, is that the USB-controller firmware is up to date. There have been significant improvements to power consumption, temperature and device compatibility. Install package rpi-eeprom-update if not already installed and run "sudo rpi-eeprom-update" and it should show something like:
BCM2711 detected
BOOTLOADER: up-to-date
CURRENT: Fri 17 Jan 2020 01:44:13 PM UTC (1579268653)
 LATEST: Tue 10 Sep 2019 10:41:50 AM UTC (1568112110)
VL805: up-to-date
CURRENT: 000137ad
 LATEST: 000137ad
I have beta network-bootloader installed, but the important part is the VL805 version. If the versions aren't up to date "sudo rpi-eeprom-update -a" should update them.
4 years 1 month ago #50088

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 117

Replied by Doug S on topic USB 3.0 ports on Pi4-4GB

@Jpaana: THANK YOU!!! This is great info to have for keeping the firmware up-to-date. I looked and I am up-to-date (but not beta). How do I retrieve the beta, and is it worth it to have it?
4 years 1 month ago #50093

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Giles on topic USB 3.0 ports on Pi4-4GB

Look at this link for how to change to beta track: www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardwa...errypi/booteeprom.md

my advice, go with critical updaates first, if problem persists, review changelogs for beta and switch to beta if something looks like it may apply to you.

Take care with this, be prepared to maybe have to use the recovery image if something bricks your Pi4.
4 years 1 month ago #50094

• Thank you received: 10

Replied by Michael on topic USB 3.0 ports on Pi4-4GB

Good evening
I am about to put me RBPi3 out to pasture... no updates here recently. So has this issue been positively resolved?

Thanks
3 years 11 months ago #51570

Hi Mike, You need to read this post: www.indilib.org/forum/general/6576-pi4-u...erference.html#51297
In a nutshell, RF interference between USB3 and 2.4Ghz wireless can not be overcome. If you intend to use USB3, you need to consider either a hardwire (cabled) ethernet, 5Ghz wireless, or blind hotspot (no internet) mode. The other suggestions in this thread were interesting and helpful, but not sufficient. In my case, I went cabled ethernet and my Pi4-4GB has been rock solid ever since. Others have had good success with 5GHz wireless. Clear Skies, Doug
3 years 11 months ago #51571

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Giles on topic USB 3.0 ports on Pi4-4GB

From a performance perspective the 2.4Ghz wireless connectivity is the worst choice on the Pi4, 5Ghz should normally give much better performance, and a cabled connectivity will beat any wireless for speed and reliability
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael
3 years 11 months ago #51578

• Thank you received: 9
While I generally used wired ethernet, I've not had a problem with the HotSpot connectivity using a USB3 ASI5433MC camera.
3 years 11 months ago #51579

• Thank you received: 10

Replied by Michael on topic USB 3.0 ports on Pi4-4GB

Than gents, would you think this Is a RBP4 specific issue or do other USB3-SBC have the same potential problem?

Appreciate it!
3 years 11 months ago #51580

This issue is not a Pi4 specific issue. It hits PI4 only because it's a small SBC with its USB3 ports in close proximity to HDMI, Bluetooth, and Wifi antenna hardware. Even then, it only affects 2.4Ghz wireless. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find all similar SBCs are affected. See the referenced Intel paper in the other post for full details. Again, easy to avoid by just using one of 3 different approaches.... Just need to be aware of 2.4Ghz issues. Cheers.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Doug S. Reason: fixed typo
3 years 11 months ago #51581

• Thank you received: 9
My WiFi hotspot is always running along with ethernet cable connection. It's also running in the 2.4ghz band and I've never had an issue with USB3 on RPi4.

The only exception is when using 16bit drivers with the ZWO ASI120mm mini guide camera. Not sure if it defaults to 8bit of not in newer builds but it always caused Kstars freezes and crashes during plate solving.

I've imaged many many hours, no problem with 2.4ghz Hotspot and RPi4.
3 years 11 months ago #51582

@mactech: If you're talking about the Pi4 hotspot, yes, it's ok (blind....no internet). If on the other hand, you're talking about mapping back to a 2.4Ghz wifi router with internet (i.e infrastructure mode), then you'd likely experience all the issues with RF interference described by the Intel white paper. Are you running a blind (no infrastructure mode) hotspot?
3 years 11 months ago #51584

Time to create page: 0.567 seconds