INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Is an INDI driver for the Focuser Boss II exist?

• Thank you received: 21
I'm looking for an interresting focuser solution without addinting new heavy hardware on my Televue. The Starlight Instrument Focuser BOSS II with the HSM stepper motor, or the Optecinc one, FocusLynx. I expect that both are the same in fact.
Is someone use it and is satisfied with this solution, and have writen a driver for it?
Best regards
Philippe Besson
Skywatcher HEQ5, Televue 101-IS, Takahashi FS-60CB
Focus Boss II with OptecInc TCF-S focuser and Starlight Instruments HSM20 handy stepper motor
Guiding camera ZWO ASI120MM
Filterwheel OptecInc IFW
Camera not set yet
Switzerland
9 years 2 weeks ago #3522

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What's the control protocol for this focuser?
9 years 2 weeks ago #3524

Dear KNRO.
Thanks to have read my question and ask to get more information so quick.
Unfortunately the INDI world is new for me and I'm not sure how to answer to your question.
I knows it exist ASCOM driver and MAC OS driver too, but I don’t find information related to the protocol used by this solution.
Maybe the attached document I've found on Optecinc site could answer to your question.

File Attachment:

File Name: FocusLynxC...rev3.pdf
File Size:733 KB

Best regards
Philippe Besson
Focus Boss II with OptecInc TCF-S focuser and Starlight Instruments HSM20 handy stepper motor
Filterwheel OptecInc IFW
Camera not set yet
Switzerland
9 years 2 weeks ago #3526
Attachments:

Great, that's what I needed. It might take a while to develop a driver as there are many parameters to implement, I'll let you know once a driver is available for testing.
9 years 2 weeks ago #3527

Wowww. incredible answer to my question.
To avoid any mistakes I would like clarify some points, before you start to write any code.
Till now I'm doing only visual observatories :(
My dream since two years is to do pictures from depth sky.
Now I'm working to choice my astrophoto material, and buy this year to use with my beautiful Televue NP101-IS telescope and it short F/D (5.4)
I still hesitate between the QSI and SBIG camera,in both cases with the KAF-8300 CCD, to have small pixel for my short focal
To complete this, I've to choice the focuser and a rotator.
Then now if your ready to create the needed driver, I'm could choice to buy the Focuser Boss II, and work with you to reach a success result.
Later in the year, I hope my budget would be OK for that, I'm going to buy my camera in June, or at least in July to make a full test of the focuser driver in auto mode, and I hope take my first pictures!

To resume my two questions are:
- Is it OK for you to work together, like I explain behind, to build this driver?
- If the answer is yes, when you've written, it take time to do it, do you talk about weeks, months or more? (I hope not)
Hope my English is good enough ans that you understand correcly what I mean

Regards
Philippe Besson
Filterwheel OptecInc IFW
Camera not set yet
Switzerland
9 years 2 weeks ago #3533

Besson,

If you get the focuser and can test the driver, then it shouldn't take more than a week or two.

EDIT: I'll start working on the driver once you obtain the focuser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Philippe
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
9 years 2 weeks ago #3534

HI.
The focuser is ordered. Now have to wait to get it. I hope it would be there next week.

Regards
Philippe Besson
Filterwheel OptecInc IFW
Camera not set yet
Switzerland
9 years 1 week ago #3593

Hi Knro.

The focuser is arrived.
I've installed it on my TV and it runs gently and smoothly. That's looks a nice product.
Next step is in your hand.

On my side I'm waiting for my ordered CCD camera for guiding, planetary images and testing the focuser! before doing the most expensive step, buy the Deep Sky CCD!

Regards
Philippe Besson
Filterwheel OptecInc IFW
Camera not set yet
Switzerland
8 years 11 months ago #3803

I've just seen yesterday that the driver for FocusLync as been install on my PC (From PPA I expect)

As I've got my CCD camera for planetary and GUIDING, I've tryed to use it yesterday evening. Unfortunately it doesn't works.

I can't connect to the focuser.
The debug mode shows:
********************************************************************************************************
2015-04-25T18:39:36: Error retreiving data from FocusLynx, please ensure FocusLynx controller is powered and the port is correct.
2015-04-25T18:39:36: TTY error: Timeout error
2015-04-25T18:39:35: CMD (<F1HELLO>)
2015-04-25T18:39:30: Toggle Logging Level -- Driver Debug
2015-04-25T18:39:28: Toggle Debug Level -- Driver Debug
********************************************************************************************************
From the GtkTerm, I was not able to connect too, untill I change the default speed to 115200 baud. After that I was able to send the <F1HELLO> and get answer (! FOCUSER).
I'm looking for how to set the speed of the /dev/ttyUSBx throught google, but even if I set it with stty, ekos is still not able to connect to the focuser.

Any idea how to proceed?
Philippe Besson
Filterwheel OptecInc IFW
Camera not set yet
Switzerland
8 years 11 months ago #4062

Well, the focuser driver is not yet ready yet, but I thought the connection speed was 9600? Is it 115200 for all Lynx controllers?
8 years 11 months ago #4064

I've found no information related to the speed for FocusLynx or other Optec controler. This is only when I tested my connection via terminal I found that the FeatherTouch Digitial Focus Boss II is running at 115200 baud. I've tested few speed and conection settings before I found this working one:

115200 bauds
Bits : 8
Parity : none
Stop bits : 1.

I'm not able to tell you for the other focusers from Optec.
Philippe Besson
Filterwheel OptecInc IFW
Camera not set yet
Switzerland
8 years 11 months ago #4065

Driver is ready for testing now, it should be available in the PPA tomorrow. Please do not forget to enable full debug/logging to a file.
8 years 11 months ago #4080

Time to create page: 0.733 seconds