INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:Display bug ... AND responsivity bug!

• Thank you received: 72
Thanks for your effort!

Meanwhile I tried to compile KStars from source with Qt 5.9.9 on Ubuntu 16.04 with success.:cheer: The display bug is gone, BUT the responsivity bug persists! I suppose it is a KStars/indi bug: The option buttons for the serial/ethernet connection are all dead*. Shall I open a ticket in KStars bugtracking systems?
*) Surprisingly they are all working when I'm debugging an INDIdriver with QtCreator.:blink:
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Toni Schriber.
4 years 1 week ago #50965

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301
(all Green on launchpad now for Ubuntu 16.04)

-Eric
4 years 6 days ago #50995

Some news regarding this bug!

It is present in Ubuntu 16.04 AND 18.04 and I could trace a really strange behaviour in both: As I stated before the "Connection Mode" buttons of the INDIDrivers is always working under debugging. The spooky thing is, that after the very first start of EKOS (after a new startup of the OS) the buttons are working too! But if you start Ekos once again these buttons get unresponsive! :blink:

It there a crack out there, who has more insight? I haven't got a clue.
4 years 4 days ago #51088

If you restart KStars, they are unresponsive as well? or it needs a complete restart of the OS?
4 years 4 days ago #51092

• Thank you received: 54

Replied by Gilles Gagnon on topic Display bug ...

I had mentionned about unresponsive buttons in another thread (#49172) and what I had found was that if I deleted the xml files related to the driver (in ~/.indi) the buttons would be responsive again, until the xml files were created again.

Hope that info contributes to the solution.
4 years 4 days ago #51098

@knro: First, I didn't believe it either! But yes, it's true: Starting the OS (16.04 or 18.04) from zero, does it!
But only for the first invocation of the driver (by EKOS or by Device Manager). All subsequent calls render the Connection Mode buttons unresponsive.

@G_Gagnon: I spotted this thread and I can confirm your note. There has to be a relation! Alas, until now I could not spot the part of the source code, where the problem is located. Besides, I think that it is not a practicable way to erase the XML-File every time you want to change something.
Last edit: 4 years 4 days ago by Toni Schriber.
4 years 4 days ago #51100

is this only for Connection Mode? If yes, can you post your XML config file?
4 years 4 days ago #51102

Will do later today. Every non essential businesses will be closing today for 3 weeks and I have a few things to get before all hell breaks loose, which it already did to a certain extent. :-(
4 years 4 days ago #51106

Replied by Gilles Gagnon on topic Display bug ...

I have done some more 'shallow' investigation about the problem and have found that when you start KStars, EKOS and INDI with the xml files (.xml and .xml.default) deleted, I have the control over the buttons and can change baud rate, can connect, etc...

If I stop INDI and restart it without doing anything (i.e. delete xml's), responsivity is lost, baud rate can't be changed but device may connect, Indiduino Meteo Station would not but Weather Radio does.

If I stop INDI, open a terminal to delete the xml's and restart INDI, responsivity is recovered. So, unless what I tried is a special case, you don't have to stop/quit EKOS or KStars to get responsivity back.

I haven't tried with more that one device but I assume that the problem may lie across all devices specified in the profile.

Hope this helps and I can perform some more tests if needed. The xml files for Weather Radio are attached, renamed to .txt files.

Gilles
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
Last edit: 4 years 4 days ago by Gilles Gagnon.
4 years 4 days ago #51124
Attachments:

OK! One step further: The bug shows up in local mode only! If I connect the indiserver on the remote computer all is in best order.
What does that mean?
4 years 4 days ago #51126

I believe I have a fix for this... both INDI+KStars needs to be updated to GIT for this to work. Please try. I still do not know WHY it happens, I know it happens due to some property removal. When I check INDI, it was an unnecessary removal which is now disabled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Toni Schriber
4 years 2 days ago #51217

Did a quick check with the Weather Radio driver on INDI stable and INDI nightly. Stable has the responsivity bug (button presses not working as they should), and nightly works fine. My test is not exhaustive though as my nightly system does not have much hardware attached to it. Gotta move hardware from one platform to the other.

Maybe someone who has a system working on nightly could report to confirm.
4 years 2 days ago #51225

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds