INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Indiduino MeteoStation trouble with TSL2591

• Thank you received: 16

I use this device for my sqm without any problems. Here are the particulars
stargazerslounge.com/topic/345219-sky-quality-meter-with-wifi/
Not arduino, bu I hope it helps anyway.

Cheers
4 years 1 month ago #50410

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 161
I also use a TSL2591 in RDBeck's DIY SQM

It works flawlessly here.
4 years 1 month ago #50412

• Thank you received: 23
I also tried this, but the values are not stable
4 years 1 month ago #50414

• Thank you received: 54
I'll check my MeteoStation (TSL2591 based) and come back to you.
4 years 1 month ago #50435

Hi G_Gagnon,
do you have news for me???
4 years 1 month ago #50472

• Thank you received: 370
Hi,
I‘m not sure whether we are talking of two distinct problems: stability and accuracy. And maybe both have the same root cause, a defective sensor.

What I know is that the indiduino weatherstation uses the same formula as published from Unihedron. But I would not be surprised if they have their calibrations before sending their device to customers.

-Wolfgang
4 years 1 month ago #50477

I did also notice variations in SQM values, important ones sometimes, with myTSL based MeteoStation.

In order to try to find out the source of the problem, I stripped down the software from a WiFi weather station that I have that uses the same sensors (removed all WiFi, Web and file logging functions), and flashed my INDI MeteoStation with it. I found out that there is still some variations but the range of those variations is much less and the readings are more stable. This leads me to suspect that the firmata software used in the MeteoStation firmware may send some wrong data to the indiduino driver, for some non-evident reason. As I am not an expert in firmata, I can't confirm my hypothesis.

As Wolfgang mentionned in his message, this could also be due to a defective sensor but, as I also noticed some variations, they could be caused by some other issues, harder to investigate.

Not being very quick at it (lack of expertise and aging brain cells), I am leaning into writing a specific driver (not based on firmata) for the INDI MeteoStation that would be more streamlined and that would support more sensors (e.g. wind speed and direction).

Everyone that uses the TSL based indiduino MeteoStation should keep in mind that the SQM feature of the MeteoStation was meant to replace the irradiance sensor (solar cell) and give an estimate of the SQM and, while being based on the same formulas, likely lack some proprietary functions that Unihedron uses for calibration or other data massaging. That being said, I will try to find a solution to the data variation issue.

Gilles
4 years 1 month ago #50485

As a followup to my message, here is a plot of the SQM values of the stripped down MeteoStation firmware. Taken through a window on a cloudy nights. Data points are every 10 seconds and there is a slight variation that could be smoothed out by doing running average or other smoothing algorithm, over a number of data points.

Gilles

The following user(s) said Thank You: ALESSANDRO PENSATO
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Gilles Gagnon.
4 years 1 month ago #50488
Attachments:

I am tring to replace the code related to the TSL2591 with a code that use a TSL237, that is the one used by Unihedron
4 years 1 month ago #50493

Just another doubt, where can I find a wiring schema for cabling the meteostation? I want be sure that all wirings are ok
4 years 1 month ago #50494

You can look at this tutorial ( indilib.org/support/tutorials/177-howto-...no-meteostation.html ). It tells everything but it needs to be updated for the new hardware, which I am very slow at doing, unfortunately. The TSL connects through the I2C bus, as the BME280 and MLX do.

Gilles
4 years 1 month ago #50497

• Thank you received: 370
Gilles, maybe you take a look at the latest driver developments under Indi-duino. I am working on Weather Radio, a complete re-write driver of Indiduino Meteostation, as part of indi-3rdparty/indi-duino:
  • JSON document exchanges instead of Firmata
  • Calculations of weather functions inside of the INDI driver instead of the Arduino firmware
  • Support for several sensors: DHT11/22, TSL2591, BME280, Davis Anemometer
  • HTML frontend with Bootstrap 4 and Apex charts library
Since it is at an early stage, the documentation is missing. I will try to add it the next days.

For those interested, take a look at my my home weather station .

- Wolfgang
The following user(s) said Thank You: ALESSANDRO PENSATO
4 years 1 month ago #50499

Time to create page: 0.844 seconds