INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

TruTech number of filters defaults to 5

• Thank you received: 7
Hi all

I am a new user so forgive me if this is a known issue or some such thing. I found that each time I start INDI Control Panel and navigate to my wheel tab it shows the filter count as 5 under options tab. I have edited the XML file in .indi to add my extra 2 filters ( it's a 7 position wheel) as I found I could not add filters either (maybe my mistake as a new user). However, this count parameter (5) seems to be read in the CCD tab and this means the last 2 filters cannot be selected in that tab when imaging.

The bug is easily reproduceable but you may need to have this filter wheel or similar connected to do so - I've seen some of the other Options tabs for other wheels and some do not have this parameter. The coint parameter does not appeear to be saved to the wheel config XML file.

The workaround - connect, set the value to 7 in the options tab. Save config. Disconnect, Reconnect then go to CCD tab - choose '---' in Filter wheel dropdown and then choose TruTech in drop down - the full filter list is now visible.

Cheers for a fantastic product - I'm going to shamelessly post my wishlist and copious gratitude all over this forum!

Iain
4 years 3 weeks ago #51055
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thank you for the feedback. So the workaround is actually the way to do it. You set Max Filter to 7, then disconnect and reconnect. No need to save config explicitly since it does that by itself.
4 years 3 weeks ago #51085

• Thank you received: 138
Couldn't the number of filter positions be read from the wheel when it connects? In the Handshake command for example.
There may be no need to save the number of positions in the driver at all.
4 years 3 weeks ago #51145

This property was added to devices that do not support this.
4 years 3 weeks ago #51152

The protocol seems to be here: www.indilib.org/forum/focusers-filter-wh...heel-lost.html#15206

The reset and wheel type identification code seems to return the number of filter positions.
4 years 3 weeks ago #51156

I suppose this can happen if it is acceptable to reset the filter wheel to home upon initial connection?
4 years 3 weeks ago #51158

Don't see why not, my Quantum wheel rotates to the filter 1 position when power is applied.

I don't see anything to check that the wheel has reached the filter requested.
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by Chris Rowland.
4 years 3 weeks ago #51159

Alright, driver is now updated to home on startup and get the maximum number of wheels in this step. Please update and test.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Iain Melville
4 years 3 weeks ago #51173

Hi Jasem

Thanks very much! Now the noob question - how to update just that driver? I did a full update recently and it caused me a bit of a problem as I had to reinstall the driver that I had recompiled for the USB wifi dongle.
This is what I did:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Obviously I now know that will update and upgrade absolutely everything on the Pi. Do I need to just run for the indi wheel driver?

Thanks again!

Iain
4 years 3 weeks ago #51242

Hi Jasem

I cloned the git repo, rebuilt locally and installed everything.

git clone --depth 1 github.com/indilib/indi.git
mkdir build/indi-core
cd build/indi-core
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ~/Projects/libindi/indi
make -j4
sudo make install
ls -latr /usr/bin/indi_trutech_wheel

Confirms just built version - maybe I messed up by installing everything from master?

Now the filter wheel tab throws an error on startup as attached. I had a good look around for more detailed and accessible log files on my pi (I'm running a Raspberry Pi btw). I'll go back to the manual to see if any locations are listed but if you can point me to where they might be?

Everything else seems to still work. The good news is that the problematic filter size parameter is now gone from the Options tab! :P :P

File Attachment:

File Name: filter_whe...sole.txt
File Size:2 KB

EDIT - I found a way to produce a log - attached.

File Attachment:

File Name: indi_trute...heel.LOG
File Size:8 KB
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by Iain Melville.
4 years 3 weeks ago #51290
Attachments:

Reverted locally by d-loading the repo pre your last commit on the trutech cpp and h files and replacing those rebuilding and installing. I'd still be interested in developments.

Thanks Jasem for your looking at this anyway - I'm happy to test for you if you want to send me code versions to run against my wheel! Just glad to be back up and running tonight...

Cheers
Iain
4 years 3 weeks ago #51291

I updated the driver, please git pull and check again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Iain Melville
4 years 3 weeks ago #51309

Time to create page: 0.553 seconds