INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Menubar of KStars in Ubuntu Gnome 18.04 and above - SOLVED

• Thank you received: 72
I'm feeling quite silly to ask, but how can I get back the menubar of KStars 3.4.2?

I didn't find any hint so I hope you guys can point me the direction.
Last edit: 4 years 3 days ago by Toni Schriber.
4 years 3 days ago #51147
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: 4 years 3 days ago by Toni Schriber.
4 years 3 days ago #51168

• Thank you received: 420
Perhaps Google yourself for "ubuntu 18.04 kde application menu bar" and you'll find, among other hits, this one

www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php/735...-in-all-applications
4 years 3 days ago #51176

Thanks for your hint, but I'm not using KUbuntu. I installed the default Ubuntu 18.04 with Gnome. According the latest news, the developer decided to remove the old style application menu bar and replace it with the "pulldown" menu you can see in my screenshot at the right side of the [Applications] button*. As far as I know, the application menu should appear there! There are indeed several application working this way.

There is an deprecated gnome extension, that brings back the "old-style" menu, but the devs advised against installing this!

So what to do now?

* see here
Last edit: 4 years 13 hours ago by Toni Schriber.
4 years 14 hours ago #51308

Ahh sorry, I wasn’t aware that this was decided in Gnome. I think most of us use the MATE desktop (Gnome 2 rebranded) which doesn’t have this behaviour.
4 years 6 hours ago #51330

I didn't think much about the desktop manager, I simply updated my Ubuntu 16.04 an I've got Bionic Beaver with Gnome3.

Perhaps I should move to "Mate"?
What are the differences between "Mate" and Gnome3?
Or will KStars be updated to support the "new" application menu of Gnome3?
4 years 5 hours ago #51331

Whether you should switch to MATE or not is entirely up to you. MATE is much less resource heavy and has the familiar menu structure that Gnome used to have in version 2.

I cannot comment on your other question as I am not a KStars developer.
4 years 2 hours ago #51337

So after a couple of months of inactivity I switched to Ubuntu 18.04 yesterday. It was a time cosuming task, but I finally managed to port my environment from 16.04 to 18.04. I solved the cumbersome problem with the missing menubar by activating the unity display manager again instead of gdm3. (This is the same way Ubuntu Mate works!) Now KStars shows the menu as in 16.04.

Unfortunely there are some problems: Not all the icons show up a usual! If I try to configure the tool bar the device manager has - among others - a strange blueish folder-icon

Moreover it is not possible to change the toolbar. After inserting some new action icons and klicking OK nothing happens!

Who knows more?

Antonio
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Toni Schriber.
3 years 8 months ago #56256
Attachments:

Ubuntu 18.04 no longer is maintained. Why didn't you upgrade to 20.04?
3 years 8 months ago #56257

• Thank you received: 42
The blue icons appear to be okay at least the same here. Using Fedora/Cinnamon they show more clearly as being a folder icon. Double clicking the LH panel selection moves it over to the RH panel. I didn't try the OK button but assume that would save the selection.
I wa wondering about yout initial question. F1 would have brought up the Kstar document about configuring. Looks like Alt S would have brought up the Settings menu options where the main toolbar could have been re-enabled.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by wotalota.
3 years 8 months ago #56267

Really? Offiical reports say end of support is April 2023.
You cannot upgrade from 16.04 to 20.04 directly. It has to be done with an intermediate step to 18.04. That's where I landed.

Icon:
I think showing a folder icon for the device manager is not a good thing. What happens if you try to save the new bar arangement? Wil ist be saved? With unity on 18.04 I have no chance!

Alt S:
Unfortunately this procedure doesn't work: Ubuntu on gdm3 moved the whole mechanics of the gobal menu from the top line into the dropdown menu! (cf. www.indilib.org/forum/general/6650-menub...04-bionic.html#51147) There are indeed some applications that are working, but KStars seems not following the new gdm3-standard. So there is no way to bring back the menubar without reprogramming. (BTW I tried some older version of KStars from 2019 having sort of inline-menu that appears even on gmd3. I remember KStars having two menubars at that time: The "inline"-menu and the standard gdm-globalmenu. It would be interesting to talk to the developers about a this: Will KStars support the new gdm3 -standard?)
3 years 8 months ago #56312

Ok! The guilty party is the last stable build! With the newest nightly build (2020-07-02T05:56:09Z) I'm able again to save the toolbar changes. B)
3 years 8 months ago #56366

Time to create page: 0.427 seconds