INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Indiserver WiFi option for Synscan Goto?

• Thank you received: 12
Prolific Chip devices are good too.

I've bought myself an USB-RS232 cable to update the firmware of the hand controller. The first one I bought was based on the Chinese CH340 chip, and it is very unreliable. In the middle of firmware upgrade just lost connection. I thought first I was managed to brick my hand controller. Fortunately the hand controller has some safety feature and recovered. I was never able to do anything useful with that cable (I bet the flow control is broken).
Later I bought an other one, based ont Prolific chip, and in works just fine!
Sometimes unfortunately one just cannot tell which chip a given product based on, just after buying and seeing the driver.
3 years 10 months ago #54378

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 16
I have ordered both the FTDI/USB device recommended by Gubi and the cable recommended by Stash. Both come from overseas, so I don't expect them soon, but we'll see which arrives first and ultimately which works best. I have seen good and bad results with devices such as these, so I feel having a few different brands on hand will hedge my bet. If I just tried one method, and it was not reliable, I'd be out another month waiting for an alternative.

Right now, things from China are very unreliable. I have been waiting for a reticle lens from SVBONY for a couple of months now. Tracking says it is stuck in Singapore.

Anyway...will give me time to get my arms around the software.
3 years 10 months ago #54388

FTDI is an American product as far as I know. You should be able to find a supplier in the USA, like Mauser Electronics.
3 years 10 months ago #54393

Gubi: Your link sent me to a site which indicated a US option, but in communicating with the vendor, I found them to be in Taiwan. Not a big issue for me. I get a lot from that area...it takes a bit longer, but I've had good results overall.

By the way, mouser.com does have a USB->FTDI TTL 3.3V adapter cable in stock.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Jon Carleton.
3 years 10 months ago #54394

• Thank you received: 74
Scottish :-) been around 20+yrs
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
3 years 10 months ago #54395

Hmm. Mouser out of stock. That surprises me (from here I don't see Mouser US, the site drops me directly to Mouser EU...).
This is a quite commonly used item in microkontroller world.
3 years 10 months ago #54396

No...you misunderstood. Mouser.com HAS them in stock. It is just that I already ordered.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Jon Carleton.
3 years 10 months ago #54410

I have forgotten to share the good news with you: we were managed to fix UDP connection in indi_skywatcherAltAzMount and indi_skywatcherAltAzSimple drivers. The patch has been merged into the github tree. I have no idea when will it get it's way into the precompiled packages, but it is not hard to compile the github tree, just follow the instructions in the main README.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon Carleton
3 years 9 months ago #55736

Excellent News!

I spent a good deal of time fighting with WireShark and NOT seeing any UDP traffic between the SynScan App and my mount. I know it works, but I can't see the traffic. Very odd indeed. On top of that, I have always been suspicious of my SynScan App, and the other night, just as I got Bode's galaxy dialed in and shot the first 2 of 50 images, it went bonkers and sent the scope 10 degrees down and a few degrees right. No apparent reason, as the tablet wasn't even touched.

All that said, I'm anxious to say goodbye to the tablet and that app. I'll test the indi mount drivers as soon as I get a little time...perhaps this weekend. I am not great in C, but I can manage a simple compile. I'm old enough to have had to compile operating systems on each new computer with which I became involved (and load the initial program start address into the program counter, mash run and cross your fingers).
3 years 9 months ago #55751

It is not easy to analize WPA protected WiFi traffic, the sniffer must run on one end of the conversation. In this case you cannot run it on the mount, so it must be the device running the synscan app. The traffic is definitely there, I was able to monitor it, running both the wireshark and synscan on windows.
3 years 9 months ago #55768

Yep, that's my issue. I don't run Windows...haven't since 1990. I did manage to see a bit of it running a sniffer on the tablet running the SynScan App, but it was a pretty limited sniffer. Enought to see there was traffic, but not enough to catalog. I am excited to try the new indi drivers for Alt/Az. Thank you once again!
3 years 9 months ago #55785

• Thank you received: 0
Hello,

Note: I solved my issue - I found the UI through KStars and was able to get things going.
Plus, I figured out how to get the server setup in the UI - took a bit of fiddling but I got it going.

Thanks,
Brett

=== older post ===
Hello,

I am doing a little digging on how to setup my AZ GTI over WIFI with astroberry (if possible).

When I look here:
AZ GTi
It seems that I should be able to set this up.

What I am unclear on with the astroberry system is:
1) What UI do I use to setup the connection?
2) When looking at the astroberry UI through the web interface that says: "Remote Driver" and shows a sample string of "driver1@removehost1" - do I need to fill something in there?

A few notes on my overall goals:
1) To have the RPi4 do guiding, and image acquisition
2) Use a PC in the house to
a) run Stellarium to find and target items
b) to do stacking of images as they come in
(i'm open to having the RPi4 do this... but figured maybe a PC would handle the load better...)

Notes on my configuration:
1) RPI 4
2) Latest astroberry setup as of yesterday
3) AS GTi running on my network - I can connect to it via my iPhone and my Windows setups with the app

Other thoughts:
1) Some good news I thought was:
a) I've got my camera working with the capture software --- so that is super cool!
b) I am able to connect up to the RPi4 and everything seems to be running well on the software side
2) I have done work with SharpCap Pro on and have had the system running in the past on that setup, but would like to have the system guide and do it's thing without the need to have my PC connected all the time... and... I happen to have an RPi4 - so what the heck - thought i'd try it out. :)

Any thoughts, suggestions, pointers to tutorials/walkthrough I missed are all greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time and help,
Brett
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Brett Humphrey.
3 years 9 months ago #55881

Time to create page: 0.493 seconds