INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New Internal Solver for Mac, Windows, and Linux -- Testing/ Experiments needed

• Thank you received: 139
Is the hope that the user will not need to modify any settings? Right now I don't have to touch a thing, and solves have been successful for me. I'm assuming, it pulls the telescope focal length and pixel size to figure out the basic scale?
3 years 10 months ago #54120

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
Yes, when I integrate it into Ekos that will be true. But not yet. Right now, you should select the appropriate profile for solving or sextracting. They should solve faster and more reliably.

In Ekos, the default options for finding the HFR for focusing or the default options for solving the image will not be the "Default Options" in the combo box now. My goal is to develop good solving profiles for each task. So that when it is in Ekos, I will have a couple of combo boxes for the configuration where you can select from different profiles for each of the key tasks. The default options for each task should be a good all around set of settings, but there will be others that users could pick from for their special circumstances. Or they could make their own profile (I plan to have an editor similar to the Profile editor on the left in this program)
3 years 10 months ago #54122

• Thank you received: 139
It might be kind of cool, if solving fails, it falls back to another method automatically with the last resort being the online blind solve.
3 years 10 months ago #54123

• Thank you received: 17
I am attaching an image. I need to bring up the Rpi to get another, maybe later.

Hmm, not letting me add a .fits file?

Ron
3 years 10 months ago #54126

I will have to do something else?

Ron
3 years 10 months ago #54127

You can upload zip files with fits images. Or change the file extension to something the forum accepts.. fits would be best if that’s what you were testing. If you change it to jpeg data will be lost from the fits headers. That info may be key to solving it or key to why it was not solving .
3 years 10 months ago #54129

Yes I am already working on this for the next version.
3 years 10 months ago #54130

• Thank you received: 92

You could upload the file(s) to nova.astrometry.net/ and give the link or use this site:

uploadfiles.io/

And give the link.

p.s. the G18 is about 1 gbyte. Not 10 gbyte

Han
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by han.
3 years 10 months ago #54131

Sorry, I just realized that what I said yesterday was not clear, particularly the part about FITS files and jpeg files.

I meant to say that resaving the file in a format that the forum accepts is not a desirable option since we would like to preserve the FITS headers and see what its going on. One option that would allow you to submit the FITS file(s) would be to take the fits files that would not solve, put them all into a zip file and submit that file. Another option would be to just take the file extension and change it to one that the forum would accept, and to let us know so that we can change it back after we download it, since that doesn't actually change the contents of the file. Hopefully this is more clear.
3 years 10 months ago #54162

Han,
You are right, When I downloaded the indexG18 zip file I was worried it might use up a lot of memory so I ran "unzip -l" on it and I as sure it said 10G uncompressed. But now that I look at it on the USB memory stick the G18 library is only 1 G in size. So I can put it the SD card.

thanks,
Ron
3 years 10 months ago #54170

Please bear with me as my experience with plate-solving is limited to running it in Ekos during polar alignment or slewing to a target.
I am running on an Rpi 4, Raspbian "Buster" Version 10; Kstars 3.40, Build: 2020-01-06T10:36:16Z (I have this working with all equipment after working out some 'bugs' in the setup, so I don't want to upgrade right now - although I do a clone backup SD card)

I have ASTAP with the G17 and G18 index files loaded. I recall using this local solver succesfully in the past, but as I indicated with a wider FOV setup.
I have Astrometry.net solver loaded (solve-field) with the set of index files that Ekos recommended for this f/10 setup.
And now I have Sextractor and SexySolver-Tester loaded on the Rpi.

This is an image from an imaging session on May 7th. I captured this image and saved it, then captured another after starting the polar alignment routine, the second image solved using online Astrometry.net in 102 seconds
"Solver RA (280.54) DEC (80.339) Orientation (275.58) Pixel Scale (0.48818)" the RA/Dec values seem strange since after completing the first round of the PA routine it said I was off the NCP by 3 1/2 degrees.

I just uploaded the first image file to here: May7th fits image

I also just now uploaded this file to Astrometry.net and it started processing the file and it failed?

I have run this image thru ASTAP with both the G17 and G18 star databases and both failed. I think ASTAP only used 100-200 stars.

I am now trying SexySolverLibrary Tester. It says it found 3525 stars (it must be picking up a lot of noise or hot pixels - I did not do any dark subtraction on this image)
I am running it using the internal Sextractor and Internal SexySolver. I have not explored all the other options but I did set the scale arcminwidth to 20 low and 30 high.
it is running a long time over 300 seconds, so I suspect it will fail as well.

I will look to find another image that I can get to solve using Astrometry.net online, like it usually does during observing and try these other solvers.

As I said I am a 'little' lost here. I gather using this tester I can try solving an image using the internal program, ASTAP, local Astrometry.net as well as the online versions of some of them.
It would help me if you can give me a set of directions of how to proceed. Otherwise I will need to read thru the 15 pages of this forum topic to see what others have done.

thanks,
Ron
3 years 10 months ago #54181

• Thank you received: 28
Ron,

I didn't solve this file in ASTAP or with SexySolver and Astrometry either. I did, however, get a reported solve in ~1/2s using SexySolverTester 1.3 on my desktop, which is a pretty fast processor using the Internal SexySolver with the ParallelSmallScale option and the "Fast Solving" option. However the RA & DEC ERR values were large for both options:-(. Rerunning both options with "Use Position" (Scale/Position tab) solved in ~0.6s with ERR values of 0 and the same RA & DEC values as the other solver.

Richard
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Richard Beck.
3 years 10 months ago #54182

Time to create page: 1.014 seconds