INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Stellarmate vs Astroberry... What is the Difference?

• Thank you received: 138
AIUI if you aren't using a Ubuntu based system then there is no repository, you need to compile from sources.

IIRC AstroBerry at least doesn't recommend this because it may mess up the AB install which could be older than the current souces. They see themselves as providing a stable system rather one that has the latest bells and whistles.

I run plain Raspbian and use AstroPi3 to manage installing or updating the Astro components.

Not sure what benefit there is to the multitude of dfferent flavours of Linux and different UIs and distributions. Looking at Ubuntu Mate and Raspbian the differences don't seem to be more than cosmetic.

I think i've heard that the Raspbian distrbution isn't suited to other people hooking into it and the Ubntu one is better in that respect.
3 years 7 months ago #58076

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140

Jasem has set up his own repository on a server to hold the packages, same as the author of Astroberry.... clever guys... :)
3 years 7 months ago #58081

This is also not true, there are raspbian repositories for both SM and AB, you update and install just the same as you did on Ubuntu, the authors of both have created the repositories on there own servers for this purpose, so the end user see no difference.... :)
3 years 7 months ago #58082

• Thank you received: 23
Ok, which is the address of raspbian repository??
3 years 7 months ago #58084

Once you have purchased SM, you download the image from your order page, and burn to SD card, then you just run the usual update and upgrade commands from terminal as you would on the Ubuntu editions...
I am not a coder at all, so my knowledge is limited on that subject, bu I assure you SM and AB are raspbian based with there own repositories....
3 years 7 months ago #58085

It is based on raspbian...I have no other idea how I can tell you this.....
3 years 7 months ago #58086

just read the content of the files stored in this location /etc/apt/
3 years 7 months ago #58087

• Thank you received: 375
Distribution can be identified by running:
lsb_release -a

All repositories for apt package distribution system are located in /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
3 years 7 months ago #58088

The repo for SM is

ppa.stellarmate.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: ALESSANDRO PENSATO
3 years 7 months ago #58090

• Thank you received: 2
It is worth noting that EKOS Live is available to Astroberry users as well. Just register on EKOS Live and in the EKOS control click on the little cloud symbol and hey presto - just pop in your log in details and away you go. I have tested this and it works very well.

3 years 7 months ago #58129
Attachments:

EkosLive is a service and it is not related if you use astroberry or other systems. I am interested to the OFFLINE version, but I do not know how it works
3 years 7 months ago #58133

• Thank you received: 2

Indeed however in an earlier post someone mentioned that one of the differences between Stellarmate and Astroberry was EKOS Live and this is not the case.

Both use KStars/EKOS and both use an RPi so the differences come down to either accessing the control panel via an app or via VNC (although with Stellarmate you have both options) and that's about it and EKOS Live largely eradicates this difference as there isn't much the app does that Live does not.

In terms of the functionality of Kstars/EKOS they are the, to all intents and purposes, the same and using KStars/EKOS on one is identical to using it on the other. The setup up wizard of Stellarmate is slightly slicker and you are more shielded from the underlying OS but the difference is marginal so it comes down to support. With Stellarmate you get perhaps a quicker response although that said I raised an issue with the developer of Astroberry on another forum yesterday and he pushed out a fix this morning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joaquin
3 years 7 months ago #58135

Time to create page: 1.506 seconds