INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Feathertouch and Pegasus Focus Cube 2

• Thank you received: 9
How do the brass insert get placed during printing? I am assuming they are pressed in after the print? This whole thing is very interesting a tinkers dream :)

El Corazon just sent my an STL file diagram. I am definitely going to in the future invest in a 3D printer. I was hooked after I saw all the specialty boxes and holder that Jo had set up on his rig !!!

I like the idea about getting a quick release to go into manual focusing.

Regards

Jim
Celestron CGX, QSI683 Astrodon Gen 2 E series LRGB, Ha, OIII, ES102CF, ZWO-ASI178MC, 60mm guide scope, Pegasus Focus Cube 2, Feather Touch Focuser.
3 years 10 months ago #53224

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182
Yes, they are pressed into the finished print. Just use a soldering iron or for the smaller ones I am using a knitting needle heated with a butane flame or something similar.

smile.amazon.com/QLOUNI-Threaded-Embedme...r%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-3

For disengaging the stepper for manual focusing, I have an idea using a spring-loaded coupler. The problem might be the distance between the shaft ends of the focuser and the stepper motor. That is difficult to design, if you cannot take direct measurements and even then I usually go through 3 or 4 prototypes until I arrive a the final solution.
Nonetheless, this is huge fun and an entirely new world of tinkering. Forget plywood and coping saws.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim S.
3 years 10 months ago #53226

Here is my design for the parts of a spring-loaded coupler. The small part goes on the shaft of the motor, the flat piece with the bevel gear on top would have to be attached to the coarse focus knob and the large part with the recess for the bevel gear would be sliding on the involute gear of the small part. It would then have to be pressed onto the gear on the focuser knob with a spring.

Here the STL file for Javier, if you want to try it out. Just replace the .txt ending with .stl. I cannot upload an STL file, had to change the ending.

File Attachment:

File Name: v3-AllParts.txt
File Size:381 KB

Cheers

Jo

and the FreeCAD file, if you want to modify the design.

File Attachment:

File Name: FocusCouplerFTv3.txt
File Size:1,631 KB

Just replace the .txt ending with .FCStd
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Jose Corazon.
3 years 10 months ago #53227
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 3
Thanks for your designs.

In my case the main goal was to design a system that could be easily dismantled, as I have to travel each night to a dark side. Instead of using a gear profile I designed a piece with pockets. To avoid any backlash a small screw can press both pieces.

But your design has given me some good ideas to solve the manual focusing. I have a separate Pegasus Astro Controlller, with a knob to move the focuser without a computer.

I attach three pieces: the telescope side (with the four pockets), motor side and the main piece that connects the motor with the main flange, should Jim need to assemble/disassemble the motor each night.

It has not been tested yet on field.

Regards, Javi.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon, Jim S.
3 years 10 months ago #53261
Attachments:

Looks like you have hit pretty much on the same principle! I had considered the split clamp idea for coupling the focuser directly to the focus knob, but never implemented it.
I found simply using a Velcro patch as a coupling disc was working just fine.
To eliminate the backlash inherent to the Velcro, I thought of using the bevel gear coupling with a spring pressing the parts together. You used a block with 4 notches. Same principle as far as I understand it.
I have not tested those either, just came up with the idea based on Jim's needs. I have printed them out and from all I can see, they should work just fine.
I can't test it, since I do not have the same setup, but would be happy to send the parts to Jim, if he wants them. I will need a few measurements from him, though, to make sure the design can work at least in principle for his setup.
We should consider setting up a separate 3D print channel here on the Forum where we can exchange designs and CAD files. There are a lot of people struggling with adapters of various sorts and 3D printing might be able to solve a lot of these issues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Javier, Jim S.
3 years 10 months ago #53263

• Thank you received: 9
I have been busy with work, I plan on getting the measurements this weekend. I like the idea of a 3D parts forum. You guys are doing a bang up job giving me all kinds of ideas. I personally thank you both for your work and recommendations on how to approach this project. !!!

Regards
Jim
Celestron CGX, QSI683 Astrodon Gen 2 E series LRGB, Ha, OIII, ES102CF, ZWO-ASI178MC, 60mm guide scope, Pegasus Focus Cube 2, Feather Touch Focuser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Javier
3 years 10 months ago #53274

De nada, Jim! Thanks for starting this topic. It will be fun figuring that one out for your specific needs.
I am sure there are others who have very similar requirements.
Best
Jo
3 years 10 months ago #53276

Time to create page: 0.428 seconds