INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Nikon D3200 Image Capture Issue

• Thank you received: 0
I recently downloaded and installed Stellarmate to a RB4. Following the video tutorials I attached a Nikon D3200 as my imaging camera and a ZWO ASI 120 as my guide camera.

Everything is detected and connects as expected. However, the D3200 does not capture images on both the Stellarmate app and Ekos on my Mac - the capture (preview) process starts and then returns an 'unspecified error' in the INDI console. I have no such problem with my ZWO.

The D3200 is set to Manual in Bulb mode, I have also removed the SD card to stop the D3200 being identified as an external storage device and connect direct to the Macs USB, all with the same result.

Whilst I suspect that there may be a specific setting on the D3200 I am missing, I have not been able to find the solution. Does anyone have any experience and can help.
3 years 11 months ago #53112

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The SD card is required and don't worry it will not be identified in StellarMate as a mass storage device in StellarMate. Ensure that:

1. Battery is full
2. SD card has enough space
3. Check the FORCE BULB in INDI Control Panel --> Options is on
4. Camera set to MANUAL / BULB mode

I will check with my D3500 tonight and report back.
3 years 11 months ago #53122

Yeah everything works fine on stellarmate please remember to click the "DSLR Setup" button in the Profile screen in the App to put the resolution and pixel pitch for your camera.
3 years 11 months ago #53140

Hey, thanks for responding and running a test on your equipment.

All four of your points are checked (13Gb on SD card) but still no joy. I don't hear the shutter opening/closing which may point to the issue.

I have attched some screenshots of my INDI settings for the D3200, including the error code. Hoping that this may point to where this is failing.
3 years 11 months ago #53152
Attachments:

I noticed I get the same error if the camera is not ready to capture.. I have a lens on it, so I just rotate it until it can capture an image. Not sure if you have an lenses attached to it or not. Gotta try it without lenses too.
3 years 11 months ago #53162

Thanks. I have tried with/without a lens. I have also tried a Canon EOS 1000D, which works fine.

I have also updated the firmware on the D3200. I guess my nest set is to email Stellarmate support.

Thanks for your help/
3 years 11 months ago #53209

Update: Found the cause of the issue. D3200 does not allow shutter control via USB when in Bulb mode (not an issue with the D3500). I have tested outside of Bulb mode and the process works as expected, albeit tied to the exposure settings on the camera body.

I have found a couple of homebrew solutions which involve hacking together the USB cable with the remote cable. Not ideal.

If anyone has any experience of this and/or an alternate solution please update this topic.
3 years 11 months ago #53302

Time to create page: 1.035 seconds