INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Replacement for Pi4?

• Thank you received: 3
Hi,
My Raspberry Pi 4 just died (micro SD card reader failed). After struggling for ages with wifi that didn't work properly, (can anybody explain why wifi sometimes worked when installed on a 32gb card, but failed on a 64gb card? :-) I'm not sure I want to buy another one and possibly experience the same issues.

Can I get some advice on what NUC (not necessarily Intel - I'm aware that NUC is a trade name) would be a reasonable alternative? I'd like something with the ability to run Kstars/Ekos locally as it will be a while before I can extend a network cable to my scope - either that or set up a mesh wifi system. Looking for a cpu with enough grunt to run Linux Mint at a decent speed.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
cheers
Gary
3 years 10 months ago #53639

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 109

Replied by Jim on topic Replacement for Pi4?

I run mine on a gen7 (was current when I got it) i3. The i3 has plenty of power to run everything, and saves some money.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary McKenzie
3 years 10 months ago #53641

• Thank you received: 420
I have been using a Z83-F with 4 Gb of memory for over a year now. No problems so far. Not sure if it qualifies for you though.

HTH, Wouter
3 years 10 months ago #53642

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic Replacement for Pi4?

Check out my link, Gary:

indilib.org/forum/general/6922-kstars-on...ate-20-04.html#53293

I am extremely happy with my RPi4 setup at the moment, in fact, haven't been going back to my ZOTAC pico332 mini-PC in a while. That works fine, but it has other issues the RPi4 does not have and vice versa.
With the new Ubuntu MATE 20.04 installation, KStars immediately ran fine and without a hitch and much faster than before. A full night of imaging from the scheduler, ~800 frames, with automated meridian flip, autofocus every 60 min, everything. Could not be happier.

The problem with your SD cards most likely comes from different quality and speed. I am currently running my Pi4 with a SanDisk 32 GB card which has the OS and astrometry files, and I am saving all images to an SSD. Those downloads happen in an instant of en eye.

Right now, I see no reason to change to a NUC or other forms of mini-PC, except perhaps at some point to one with more memory. But as far as KStars is concerned, no reason, really. The RPi4 does a stellar job for me right now.

I would stay with the RPi4 and build a system around Ubuntu MATE 20.04.

Jo

PS: Wifi 5GHz running at 433 Mbps, so control via VNC is virtually lag-free. And that is with a Wifi extender (!) and ~ 50 feet from the extender to the RPi4.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Jose Corazon.
3 years 10 months ago #53649

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by Gary McKenzie on topic Replacement for Pi4?

I may have just got a dud Pi4 - googling shows a few of them around. Thinking about trying another based on El Corazon's experiences. will need to install a good wifi range extender to get solid connections down to wherem my tiny obs will be built. El Corazon, which extender are you using? I'm looking at a TP-LINK AC2600

cheers
Gary
3 years 10 months ago #53706

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic Replacement for Pi4?

I am using the DLink DAP-1520, but that does not mean that there are no better ones around. It was just one of the least expensive ones I came across at the time.

Please note that the final transfer speed will be determined also by how close the extender is to your WiFi router. The 433 Mbps I stated refer to how fast the Pi4 is connecting to the extender, it is not the final transfer speed, since the signals has to make a hop from the extender to the router.
My final transfer speed is 7 MB/s, which is plenty for my purposes. And it saves me running a cable.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Jose Corazon.
3 years 10 months ago #53707

• Thank you received: 20

Replied by Rick Wayne on topic Replacement for Pi4?

If you wanted to hear success stories with the Pi4, I guess I'm one too. I occasionally have mysterious issues with it getting really slow, but given that the system load never spikes (CPU, memory, or load average with the "top" command-line tool) I suspect it's more of a VNC or networking thing. Other than that, no complaints whatever. I'm running a 4 GB Pi4 with Stellarmate OS 1.5.2.
3 years 10 months ago #53709

Time to create page: 0.384 seconds