INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Kstar-Ekos remote connection

• Thank you received: 1
Hello all

I have an Kstars/Ekos installed in a Raspi3B and also in a Mac. I a m doing my imaging from my backyard but I would like to know if it is possible to use the Raspi to connect to mount+camera+focuser +guider and use the mac from inside the house to do the acquisition and monitoring so I don't have to be outside (typically I have the mac directly connected to the equipment). I have some thoughts about it but not sure how to it setup.

Thank you

Marcelo
3 years 9 months ago #54962

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 20
I have a somewhat similar setup - a Mac Mini at the scope and a Mac inside. I put the remote's network name (BigMac.local), although you could just as well use the IP address, in the remote host as in this image.

Load Indi on the rPI, either through KStars/Ekos or directly. When you load KStars inside on the Mac, and click the Ekos button, select the correct profile, hit the start button and it will connect to the rPI outside. Then hit connect and it connects to the devices. From then on your Mac will be in control of the scope.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by David Allmon.
3 years 9 months ago #54965
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Kstar-Ekos remote connection

You can run a remote INDI server on the Raspberry Pi via the INDI Web Manager application. Then connect to it over a network from your indoor computer as a remote profile.
3 years 9 months ago #54967

• Thank you received: 1
Thank you for the guidance. I tried and it works. However I am doing everything wirelessly and it is too slow. I see you are using Pi4 and since I am using Pi3 was wondering how much difference it would make .
3 years 9 months ago #55026

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Kstar-Ekos remote connection

Network speed is your primary bottleneck; you could try a more capable WiFi adapter, using 5Ghz, or run an Ethernet cable from the Pi into the house. It is worth addressing because over WiFi, auto-guiding may suffer due to delay sending guide frames. To mitigate that you can run PHD2 locally within the Pi, therefore avoiding any lag, just remote VNC in to set it up and connect to PHD2 in EKOS locally.
I started with a Pi3. And it is functional. But the Pi4 is much better in almost every way. The 4Gb model is plenty, I do not see much benefit in going up to the new 8Gb model. But it certainly wouldn't hurt if you did.
3 years 9 months ago #55027

Time to create page: 2.112 seconds