INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Suitability of Linux Mint for kstars?

• Thank you received: 69
Can anyone comment on the suitability of Mint for KStars/ekos/indilib etc.?
I'm using
Ubuntu Release 20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 4.9.219-72 aarch64
    MATE 1.24.0
on an Odroid-N2 without any problems.
20.04 appears to be faster than 18.04.

In light of this article regarding snap www.zdnet.com/article/linux-mint-dumps-ubuntu-snap/
I was wondering if I should switch to Mint Mate on my 8G RPi4?

Thanks
3 years 9 months ago #55233

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
Do you use Chromium? If not, simply uninstall snap:

sudo apt purge snapd

and then make sure it cannot be installed again:

sudo apt-mark hold snapd

And then sit back, keep using Ubuntu 20.04 for another two years and see what happened to snap when the dust settles. Plenty of time to consider moving to Linux Mint or another distribution in the mean time.

HTH, Wouter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black, Jim S.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
3 years 9 months ago #55234

• Thank you received: 42
I moved off of Fedora to get away from indi library update problems. Because I have become accustomed to cinnamon I installed Mint. It seemed to work fine with Ekos, at that time it was based on ubuntu 18.n. The only issue I had was poor performance when using it remotely over nomachine. Its Mate UI did not suffer from that. Fixing the nomachine performance issue messed up the ability to boot into the GUI. I then gave up on it and installed ubuntu 20.04. If you are a Mate user I don't see the advantage of going with Mint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black
3 years 9 months ago #55286

• Thank you received: 9
Another downside is that Linux Mint doesn't have an ARM edition. Mint will not run on a Pi as they only have 32 and 64 architecture...

At least for me as I do not have the 8G Pi4... Does it work on the 8Gig Pi4?
Celestron CGX, QSI683 Astrodon Gen 2 E series LRGB, Ha, OIII, ES102CF, ZWO-ASI178MC, 60mm guide scope, Pegasus Focus Cube 2, Feather Touch Focuser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Jim S..
3 years 9 months ago #55327

Part of the reason I am still using 18.04 at the moment. I can't understand why they decided to use Chromium and snapd package that connects and installs itself without my consent... Thanks for the purge and hold tip :)
Celestron CGX, QSI683 Astrodon Gen 2 E series LRGB, Ha, OIII, ES102CF, ZWO-ASI178MC, 60mm guide scope, Pegasus Focus Cube 2, Feather Touch Focuser.
3 years 9 months ago #55328

Disturbing... This was what a friend mine was referencing but without this article in front of him he was paraphrasing, pretty sure this was what had him ticked... Just kept saying it installs programs without users consent and Chromium. (He is not a fan of anything related to Google...) So I have not upgraded from 18.04, thanks for the link. Maybe I will have a look at Mint. Or do what Wouter suggested and remove snapd and not use Chromium.

To bad they don't have an ARM iso.
3 years 9 months ago #55331

Time to create page: 0.276 seconds