INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

new board: ODROID-C4

• Thank you received: 223
I've just noticed that there is a new Odroid board, the C4. Some here might be interested as an alternative to the Raspberry pi.
Really do like my Odroid C1 as it uses an eMMC module

www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-c4/
4x USB3 B)
3 years 9 months ago #56179

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 54

Replied by Gilles Gagnon on topic new board: ODROID-C4

I got an ODROID C4 about a week ago and installed Ubuntu Mate 20.04 LTS as well as the KStars/EKOS/INDI nightly suite on it (32GB eMMC card). Nice little (deck os cards size) machine that runs on 12 volts with a standard 5.5/2.1mm power connector instead of the micro-USB power connector of the RASPIs. It has 4 USB 3.0 ports and a micro-USB OTG port as well as Ethernet, HDMI, etc. Unlike the Raspberry PI (3 B+ or 4), it barely gets warm, likely because of its heat sink.

I am waiting for the new Pegasus Astro Pocket PowerBox Advance before I install everything on top of my scope. That should make for a nice, compact and light setup. It doesn't have on board WiFi but as I use a wired network setup, it isn't a problem for me. For those who want WiFi, USB dongles are available.

Even though its more expensive than the 4G Pi 4, I think its worth considering as an alternative since if we look at the benchmarks, it offers more performance than the Pi 4.

For those who would like to give it a try, installing KStars and Indilib on Ubuntu Mate 20.04 needed to be done one package at a time as trying to install it the normal way (i.e. sudo apt-get install indi-full kstars-bleeding) caused problems (a specific library or package caused issues).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
3 years 9 months ago #56190

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic new board: ODROID-C4

Thanks for the detailed input, much appreciated.
I did not know about this " Pegasus Astro Pocket PowerBox Advance "
cool it has a focuser and dew control.
What I cannot figure out if it has the capability to turn off the USB ports, as in switch off, full power off.
3 years 9 months ago #56207

The Pegasus Astro PPBA, as its called, now has its own indi driver, thanks to some dedicated members of this community, but, from what I understand, the driver does not seem to support turning off/on the USB ports as the PPBA command set does not include such commands :( . IIRC, from what I read somewhere, the PPBA USB chipset may support such a feature but it may not be available or implemented (yet!?), hopefully in the future. Found it!, look at message #56158 but as it is a 'hidden' feature, USB port control seems to be manageable through the external command 'uhubctl'. Not a show stopper but a slight annoyance.

As far as the focuser capability, the PPBA requires an external box that connects between the PPBA extension port and the focus motor. If I wanted to drive a focus motor as well as have full control over the power box features, I would look into the UPB V2 instead but that would mean foregoing the compactness of the PPBA.

I will keep you posted whenever I receive everything and get them installed. Given the pandemic plus the fact that the items come from Europe and that I am in Canada... that may still take some time :unsure: .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Gilles Gagnon.
3 years 9 months ago #56210

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Zdenek Rehor on topic new board: ODROID-C4

I have Odroid-C4 too. OS: official image of Ubuntu 20.04 + Mate. I tried to install Indi and KStars, but I was unsuccessful. The installation ended with a codename error - expected "Bionic" but is "Focus". The solution with --allow-releaseinfo-change was unsuccessful. Can You, please get, a more detailed description how you installed the Indi to C4?
I'm new to Linux. Thanks
3 years 6 months ago #60745

In the following folder /etc/apt/sources.list.d you should see a few mutlaqja-ubuntu-ppa files
See if one of them contain the following:

deb ppa.launchpad.net/mutlaqja/ppa/ubuntu focal main
then apt-get update / apt-get upgrade / apt-get dist-upgrade
3 years 6 months ago #60759

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Zdenek Rehor on topic new board: ODROID-C4

Thank You for help. I have to repair the sources.list.d file (BIONIC rewrited to FOCUS) and now it works correctly. Installation works from comandline too. :woohoo:
3 years 5 months ago #60863

I've received my Odroid C4 today and installed Ubuntu 20.04 + the all indilib stuff. WOW it's FAST, very fast compared to my ageing C1.
3 years 2 weeks ago #68490

I use the ODroid C4 with 64GB emmc on my C8 @ 2000mm and have most of the astrometry files for plate solving. It solves within a few seconds with the stellarsolver which is very nice. On your epsilon 130, it should be even faster as the solver should not have to go through huge files (small FOV).
3 years 2 weeks ago #68492

I picked a 32GB emmc card for it, I know you can add a micro SDcard at the back, I might get a large one for backup only.
3 years 2 weeks ago #68495

I can confirm that github.com/mvp/uhubctl works on the C4, the power is in fact cut off. Tested if with my old QHY5 camera
3 years 2 weeks ago #68553

Time to create page: 0.481 seconds