INDI Library v1.8.5 Released (19 Apr 2020)

April 2020 release of INDI Library v1.8.5 introduces new drivers while providing fixes and improvements to existing devices and core framework.

Configure INDI driver (iOptron) to use GPS

3 weeks 1 day ago
airscott
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
Configure INDI driver (iOptron) to use GPS #57234
I'm struggling to get iOptron driver to recognize GPS source attached to my mount.

I've attached screen shots of Options and Mount Info panes of the INDI control panel for the (connected) mount. The GPS dongle had signal and the driver seems to recognize this "Data OK," but it still wouldn't correctly set either the location or the time. I was able to do it manually, but this is frustrating.

Perhaps I'm supposed to enter something clever in the "GPS" box on the "Options" tab, but I don't know what that is! I've tried typing Mount, and GPS, and Dongle but I don't know what INDI wants in there.

In summer I image at a remote mountain sites without main power or any kind of internet, so when I have trouble it's hard to research why!

Would very much appreciate your advice!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 weeks 1 day ago
airscott
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
Configure INDI driver (iOptron) to use GPS #57235
Also, I remember seeing a toggle for "GPS updates KStars" someplace, but I can't find that now either.

3 weeks 1 day ago
knro
Administrator
Administrator
Configure INDI driver (iOptron) to use GPS #57275
IIRC, you need to set in your handset that the GPS is the Time Source and it would be reflected in the driver. So Ekos does not see GPS separately, but the time/location coming from the mount as GPS ones. Select "Mount update KStars" and you should be good.

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info

3 weeks 1 day ago
wvreeven
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Configure INDI driver (iOptron) to use GPS #57278
Jasem is right. This is what I do with my girlfriend's GEM45 mount.

ASI6200 and filter wheel with a SkyWatcher Esprit 80 ED on a SkyWatcher HEQ5-Pro
ASI1600MM-Pro Cooled and filter wheel with an 8" TS Ritchey-Chrétien on a SkyWatcher EQ6-R

3 weeks 19 hours ago
airscott
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
Configure INDI driver (iOptron) to use GPS #57294
Thank you very much for your help with this.

So I guess the handset has to be connected for the mount to recognize the iOptron GPS dongle? (They are plugged into separate physical ports)

I have not previously used the handset with KStars/Ekos because I thought the mount model in the handset would conflict with that in Kstars/Ekos

3 weeks 19 hours ago 3 weeks 18 hours ago by wvreeven.
wvreeven
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Configure INDI driver (iOptron) to use GPS #57295
I don 't know about the CEM40 but the GEM45 can be connected to a computer with a USB cable without the need to connect the hand controller. For the latest KStars/Ekos/INDI we needed to update the firmware of the mount and while we were at that, we also updated the firmware of the hand controller. Once that is done, the GPS module is NOT visible to Ekos. But, as Jasem already explained, by simply selecting Mount Updates KStars swith both Time and Location selected we see that KStars uses the GPS location and time. The system time does not get updated though.

HTH, Wouter

ASI6200 and filter wheel with a SkyWatcher Esprit 80 ED on a SkyWatcher HEQ5-Pro
ASI1600MM-Pro Cooled and filter wheel with an 8" TS Ritchey-Chrétien on a SkyWatcher EQ6-R

3 weeks 16 hours ago
airscott
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
Configure INDI driver (iOptron) to use GPS #57299
Thank you Wouter. I will continue to use the mount without the handset plugged in and will try the "Mount updates Kstars" -> time+location in settings.

Very helpful indeed!

Time to create page: 0.321 seconds