INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Mobile astrophotography with RPi2

• Thank you received: 6
These are the (minimum) steps I found to get kstars/ekos running on Raspberry Pi 2 and control everything with a mobile phone. It runs smoothly. I hope someone finds it useful:
  1. Download Ubuntu-Mate for Raspberry Pi 2 from ubuntu-mate.org/raspberry-pi/ and write it to the micro SD. Start the Pi and follow the installation steps.
  2. Edit the file /boot/config.txt to ged rid of overscan: uncomment disable_overscan=1 ( by removing #). I set these 3 lines also:
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1 
    hdmi_group=1 
    hdmi_mode=16
  3. Install INDI, kstars and astrometry.net plus index files you need as explained in this site for ubuntu.
  4. Now we need to see the desktop of the Pi from the mobile phone or tablet. One option is the following (www.megaleecher.net/Raspberry_Pi_VNC_Setup). Then install a VNC client on the mobile / tablet. There are many. In android I use, among others, DesktopVNC.
  5. And last, we need that both devices, mobile phone and Pi can access to each other through wireless although there is no internet connection available, as can easily happen in the field ;). The quickest and easiest option is to create wireless hostspot connection on the phone. And set the Pi to automatically connect to that network when available. You will need a USB wireless dongle for the Pi, of course.

It is that easy :D

Regards,
Gustavo Naharro
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pasi Sarkkinen, Benjamin, Piero
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by gus.
8 years 10 months ago #4324

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thanks Gustavo that was pretty useful. I think it's suitable to make it into a small tutorial in INDI main website, can you post more details? screenshots? ...etc? For eg, VNC running on your mobile/tablet connected to the RPi2?
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
8 years 10 months ago #4333

No problem. I'll only need a few days. I guess it will be quite close to yours: indilib.org/support/tutorials/150-painle...-with-ekos-indi.html
;) so I will try to state clearly that everything is running on the Pi :) A video would illustrate it pretty well. I will see if I can make it next Saturday at the observatory.

Regards.
8 years 10 months ago #4334

• Thank you received: 54
Hi all, and thank you Gustavo for sharing ?

(first post, : i'm Gilles, enthusiast and impressed for such a piece of software, thank you Jasem !)
Gustavo :
Can you tell us how fast your setup is ?
Doesn't it lag too much ?
I'm also very interested with Raspberry Camera, and i've tried to make it work with v4l2, but it's quite difficult (for me...)
Did you try that ?

Regards
Gilles.
8 years 10 months ago #4347

I will try to record a video showing it working in a real situation next Saturday. Only problem is my Nikon D7000 is not working properly with gphoto so there won't be main camera control.

You will see it runs pretty fast. I find no problem at all. No patience needed ;)
8 years 10 months ago #4348

• Thank you received: 3
can you please post the command line steps for installing KSTARS on rpi2 ubuntu-mate? I was excited that you are able to do this. When I follow the steps on the UBUNTU Indi page I am able to install indiserver but I fail at sudo apt-get install kstars-bleeding due to dependencies and held packages. I have tried to follow other threads with no success. My goal is ekos on the rpi2. Thanks again for the good work!
8 years 10 months ago #4353

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/astrometry.net
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kstars-bleeding && sudo apt-get install kstars-bleeding-dbg indi-dbg

Bruce reported those lines work :) I will test installing kstars-bleeding next week. My instructions refer to kstars. I will write it again with more detais, sorry I didn't explain it properly.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by gus.
8 years 10 months ago #4361

I am John thanks for the reply Gus. I will look forward to your video tutorial. I have no need for Kstars bleeding in particular I am just attempting to get Kstars of any vintage running on the rpi2. Ubuntu mate distribution. The bleeding instructions were all I could find other than some instructions to install from source. Thanks again!
8 years 10 months ago #4362

Jasem, as I can't send you a private message, I am including a draft for you to check if it is adecuate as a tutorial. Pictures and screenshots missing yet ;)

File Attachment:

File Name: MOBILEASTR...INDI.rtf
File Size:74 KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Boston, Benjamin
8 years 10 months ago #4363
Attachments:

Thanks for the tutorial. I was successful in loading KSTARS thanks. I couldn't agree more about the virtues of the raspberry pi 2 and the potential it may have...
I'll mention a couple of things I came across while installing:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa: mutlaqja / ppp should read ppa and the spacing might give a noobie to linux like me problems in a couple of places

I found I also needed a sudo apt-get update inserted after this step in order to avoid error at the next step (maybe its just me)
sudo apt-get install indi-full (it couldn't find it till I did the update)

The Astromety.net install also indicated that the most current version came with KSTARS so perhaps that wasn't needed?

I punted on installing the index files till I get familar with KSTARS because I wasn't sure I was going to be wanting to install 2+ gigs of index files yet. till I see how I am going to be using them. Any specific recommendations about which specific file to download for general purpose out of the choices there? Im not amstrometry.net literate yet. Fantastic you really helped me a lot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gus
8 years 10 months ago #4364

Thank you John. You are right. The spaces thing is a copy/paste error ;) And the sudo apt-get update is indeed needed after adding a repository. Regarding astrometry, you are right again. I just changed order on the doc without testing... Corrected already on my local version. Anyway, if Jasem publish it as a tutorial, I am pretty sure he will find those mistakes... hahaha, at least I said it was a draft :P

Regarding astrometry.net index files, it depends on your FOV, so not sure what you mean for general purpose. If you are going to use it, check your FOV. If not, no need to install any index file. Anyway, ekos has online solver for which no local index files are needed :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
8 years 10 months ago #4365

Thanks Gus!! Please send the final version to my email (mutlaqja AT ikarustech DOT com)
8 years 10 months ago #4407

Time to create page: 1.557 seconds