INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Offline Locally Hosted Ekos Live Lite - ekos-web

• Thank you received: 120
I wanted an easy way to keep track of my imaging session while I wander around looking at the stars without going back to my laptop, so I created what I'm calling a lite version of ekos live. It is self-hosted and still very new (I just started working on it today). For now, you can't control your mount, just keep track on your imaging session, but you do get guiding, focus, and mount status, as well as the last image taken.

I needed something that would work offline, since I image from areas with little to no internet coverage, and Ekos Live Offline is only currently released on the Stellarmate OS. This is not meant as a replacement for Ekos Live. It lacks many of the features of Ekos Live. It just fills a need for me, and I though others might benefit as well.

Feedback is welcome! It fits what I need for now, and I'm sure it has some rough spots, but seems usable enough for letting others know about it.

It uses the same data that Ekos sends to Ekos Live, and is written in node.js with a Vue.js frontend.

github.com/rickbassham/ekos-web
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, ALESSANDRO PENSATO, Paul Muller, Ettore
3 years 7 months ago #58199
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 23
Good job!!! I hope that this will be a starting point to continue integration of others features
3 years 7 months ago #58201

I tried to install it on my Raspberry with raspbian buster. I had some throubles with nodejs and npm packages, but i compiled your sofware. So, I startek Ekos with simulators and Ekoslive, but in uoy webpage localhost:3000 is see only string regards mount coordinates etc etc, but I do not see captured images. Also if i change labels Capturing, Focus, the page does not changes
3 years 7 months ago #58202

Yeah, the labels don't do anything yet, I added those as a placeholder when starting and just haven't done anything with them yet. What browser are you using on raspbian? If you can add an issue on the github page with details, I'll try to take a look today.
3 years 7 months ago #58203

I used Chrome 84.0.4147.125 from my desktop pc connected to the Raspberry ip on port 3000. So, as I said, I had problem when build the software because NPM package provided by raspbian is not compatible. I installed nodejs with this procedure
curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_10.x | sudo -E bash -
sudo apt-get install -y nodejs

and then I was able to run NPM commands with some warnings
3 years 7 months ago #58204

If there is a version of EkosLive that works offline, why do you have to built another system that do the same things??? In Atikbase seems thai it is present and use MongoDB to do some stuff. I installed the EkosLive present in ppa repos, but i was unable to connect, in the bottom there is a menu with EKOSLIVE but it link me to http://myip/ekoslive but /ekoslive path is not found
3 years 7 months ago #58205

@porkyhttp The only version of EkosLive offline that I've found is on StellarMate. Since I don't do imaging from a raspberry pi for my setup, I can't use StellarMate there, so I can't use EkosLive Offline. And since I don't have an internet connection where I image from, I can't use the online version either. So I created this. It doesn't do the same things as Ekos Live, it just uses the same communication protocol that Ekos Live uses. It solves my need, so that's why I built it.

I would recommend using the docker installation procedure on raspbian to eliminate version issues. I have a raspberry pi running ubuntu (not raspbian) and it all seems to work fine from there using the docker image. Can you give that a shot?
3 years 7 months ago #58213

I will try the docker format
3 years 7 months ago #58214

I added an in browser sky chart to the mount tab that tracks the mount's current position, as well as showing the last 10 log messages in logs. There seems to be a race condition somewhere in getting the images from KStars. I haven't tracked it down yet, but if you aren't seeing images pop up in on the main "Ekos" tab, try refreshing your browser window and capturing another image.
3 years 7 months ago #58292

I added some new features to give you basic control over Ekos. Things like autofocus and guiding require you to check the "Auto Select Star" boxes in Ekos, otherwise it'll just wait for you to select the star in Ekos manually.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Muller
3 years 7 months ago #58368

EDIT - my Forums are setup in reverse order, I eventually figured out this is all new!

Whoa! What?! When?! Why have I not known about this!?!? Amazing! Yet another hidden gem - where do we learn more about setup?
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Paul Muller.
3 years 7 months ago #58369

Well, I just started working on the project a few days ago, so that's probably why! Check the instructions on the github page (github.com/rickbassham/ekos-web), but the easiest way to get going is to install docker, checkout the code from github, and run
make docker-build
make docker-run

Then browse to http://localhost:3000.

Just set your Ekos Live connection to Offline mode.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Muller
3 years 7 months ago #58383

Time to create page: 1.493 seconds