INDI Library v1.8.6 Released (21 Aug 2020)

August 2020 release of INDI Library v1.8.6 introduces new drivers while providing fixes and improvements to existing devices and core framework.

INDI Server Remote Driver Connections

1 month 3 weeks ago
knro
Administrator
Administrator
Topic Author
INDI Server Remote Driver Connections #59226
I just added a small feature to INDI server where you can connect to all remote drivers to chain them up with an INDI server without specifying which drivers exactly. Before, to get this working you'd have to use syntax like:
indiserver -v my_local_driver "remote mount"@remote_ip "remote camera"@remote_ip

Now this can be written as:
indiserver -v my_local_driver @remote_ip

It's a small improvement, but I thought I'd share it with all INDI users. This requires INDI from GIT.

This means that Ekos now supports this syntax as well. In the profile "remote drivers" field, just put @ip_address and it would connect to all remote drivers transparently. I hope this simplifies things for users with multiple servers.

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info
The following user(s) said Thank You rickbassham, Gilles, kengs, T-Studio, xsnrg, ouioui01, xthestreams

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 2 weeks ago
rickbassham
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
INDI Server Remote Driver Connections #59231
This is awesome. Trying to track down the default names for drivers can seem strange. When I start indiserver with just a driver name like "indiserver indi_celestron_gps", the connection I need to use is "Celestron GPS"@remote_ip, but when I start it locally with Ekos, the name of the telescope is something like "Celestron CGX". I know it's in the drivers.xml, but this will make things a lot easier.

BTW, the client/server architecture of this is so nice. I connected a Raspberry PI Zero to the hand controller of my CGX that auto-starts indiserver (no web manager, it just starts the server/driver as a systemd service). Then my RPI4 that runs KStars doesn't need that USB cord hanging down to connect to the hand controller, I can just connect over wireless. That means the only cable I need that can possibly get in the way of the mount is a single power cord.

And since the RPI0 is only $10 for the wifi version, it's probably the cheapest piece of gear in my kit. Much cheaper than buying a Celestron SkyPortal or a SkyFi.

Gayle H Riggsbee Observatory
Charlotte Amateur Astronomers Club

CGX
AT72EDII w/Homemade Moonlite Compatible Arduino Focuser
AT8RC w/Moonlite CSL 2.5" w/Moonlite Stepper v3
ZWO ASI1600MC-Pro
ZWO ASI1600MM-Pro
ZWO ASI174MM-Mini
ZWO OAG
ZWO EFW
AT2FF

1 month 2 weeks ago
kengs
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
INDI Server Remote Driver Connections #59235
Indeed, getting the remote driver name is a problem. I had thought it would be nice in INDI Web Manager to have a drop down list of the available remote drivers rather than having to find out the name and type it in.
But this looks like it would do the job if the same syntax works in INDI Web Manager i.e. can I specify simply @remote_ip in the Remote Drivers field?

Ubuntu 16.04 AMD64 VM, RPi3 Ubuntu Mate 16.04, Windows 10 AMD64, Ubuntu 16.04 AAEON UP Core
Avalon M-Uno, EQ6 Pro, Atik420, ASI1600MM-C, ASI120MM-S, DBK21AU04, ZWO EFW, Optec TCFSi
Vixen R150S, GSO RC8, ST80

1 month 2 weeks ago
xthestreams
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
INDI Server Remote Driver Connections #59239
Amazing! As mentioned in another post I have also started using distributed servers for dome control, mount and flat field controlling, but managing the naming etc has always been a little headache.

GSO Ritchey Chretien 12" Truss | SkyWatcher ED72 | Celestron C14
ZWO ASI 183MC Pro | ZWO ASI290MM | ZWO ASI224MC all-sky | ZEO EFW | ZWO OAG
Moonlite V2 CSL | DeepSkyDad AF3
EQ8-R | Paramount ME (needs some loving)
Nexdome | SQM LE | Ultimate Power Box V2 | Spike-a-Flat
Angry missus

Time to create page: 0.578 seconds