INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI Server Remote Driver Connections

I just added a small feature to INDI server where you can connect to all remote drivers to chain them up with an INDI server without specifying which drivers exactly. Before, to get this working you'd have to use syntax like:
indiserver -v my_local_driver "remote mount"@remote_ip "remote camera"@remote_ip

Now this can be written as:
indiserver -v my_local_driver @remote_ip

It's a small improvement, but I thought I'd share it with all INDI users. This requires INDI from GIT.

This means that Ekos now supports this syntax as well. In the profile "remote drivers" field, just put @ip_address and it would connect to all remote drivers transparently. I hope this simplifies things for users with multiple servers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Bassham, gehelem, Ken Self, T-Studio, Jim, ouioui01, Paul Muller
3 years 6 months ago #59226

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 120
This is awesome. Trying to track down the default names for drivers can seem strange. When I start indiserver with just a driver name like "indiserver indi_celestron_gps", the connection I need to use is "Celestron GPS"@remote_ip, but when I start it locally with Ekos, the name of the telescope is something like "Celestron CGX". I know it's in the drivers.xml, but this will make things a lot easier.

BTW, the client/server architecture of this is so nice. I connected a Raspberry PI Zero to the hand controller of my CGX that auto-starts indiserver (no web manager, it just starts the server/driver as a systemd service). Then my RPI4 that runs KStars doesn't need that USB cord hanging down to connect to the hand controller, I can just connect over wireless. That means the only cable I need that can possibly get in the way of the mount is a single power cord.

And since the RPI0 is only $10 for the wifi version, it's probably the cheapest piece of gear in my kit. Much cheaper than buying a Celestron SkyPortal or a SkyFi.
3 years 6 months ago #59231

• Thank you received: 53
Indeed, getting the remote driver name is a problem. I had thought it would be nice in INDI Web Manager to have a drop down list of the available remote drivers rather than having to find out the name and type it in.
But this looks like it would do the job if the same syntax works in INDI Web Manager i.e. can I specify simply @remote_ip in the Remote Drivers field?
3 years 6 months ago #59235

• Thank you received: 23
Amazing! As mentioned in another post I have also started using distributed servers for dome control, mount and flat field controlling, but managing the naming etc has always been a little headache.
3 years 6 months ago #59239

Time to create page: 0.421 seconds