INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Using scheduler to image all night with alternate "focus target"

• Thank you received: 57
I'm struggling to figure out how to use the Scheduler to do hundreds of LRGB of one target with hourly slews to refocus on a different focus target.

Following Eric's advice in this post , I've got:

Job #1: a "dummy target" that's really just a bright star for focusing (align, track, and focus but no guiding)
Job #2: my actual target -- a galaxy without a bunch of bright stars in the field -- LRGBx20 (align, track, guide but no focus)

Then I want to wrap this whole thing into Job Completion Conditions: Repeat for 8 Runs

But does the Scheduler know to do (Job 1, Job 2, Job 1, Job 2, etc) for 8 runs?

Or will it just do (focus 8 times), and THEN (LRGBx20) for 8 runs?

Or do I need to Schedule each of the 8 runs (for a total of 16 jobs)?

Thanks for your advice.

It would be GREAT to have the ability to simply specify a "focus target" for any job and have the scheduler slew away/solve to do the focus and then slew back/solve to continue the job.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig, Paul Muller
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Scott Denning.
3 years 6 months ago #59331

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182
With the exception of the Orion Nebula, I never had a need for that, but I agree, it would be great to have that option.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Muller
3 years 6 months ago #59344

• Thank you received: 23
The idea is a good workaround for some of the inherent challenges focus tool has - from what I’ve seen in other tools we’re not alone.

In my case I’m doing long (2500mm+) FL Galaxy and cluster imaging and I usually need to switch focus off too as Autofocus picks the galactic core as its preferred focus target often enough that it’s become a problem. I hadn’t thought about offering up a sacrificial star, I had been contemplating asking for an “autofocus exclusion area” E.g.: a square or eclipse in the middle of the frame that you can specify NOT to use for autofocus

The other idea of course is Full Frame focusing, but I’ve not had much luck getting that working, could be user error.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
3 years 6 months ago #59352

• Thank you received: 109

You do know about the Annulus settings in the focuser, where you can set a size for the inner ignore area ?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Muller
3 years 6 months ago #59361
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 23
I spend most of my life feeling stupid in this hobby, today is no different! I didn’t!

Thanks! Problem hopefully solved
3 years 6 months ago #59407

• Thank you received: 31
Does the annulus apply when using auto select star and sub frame?

I have recently found a number of issues with the auto focus selecting multiple stars, especially with a globular, where there are many to choose from.

I have also found that it has sometimes selects a single star but when it tries to enclose the star, in the sub frame, it is off - sometimes outside the frame.

Paul
3 years 6 months ago #59415

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

Annulus is only relevant for full field focusing, not sub framing. I use full field all the time and annulus when imaging galaxies to avoid what you experienced, the center being chosen. With full field most of my previous issues, similar to yours, have disappeared.

Magnus
3 years 6 months ago #59469

• Thank you received: 31
Magnus,

Not the answer I was hoping for :)

I think full frame will be too slow.

I spent a few hours playing with the settings and seem to have achieved some improvement but only time will tell.

Paul
3 years 6 months ago #59524

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

Yes, full frame and particularly in combination with Linear is slower. But it is very precise! I compensate by focusing far less often, and have very good focus unless something disrupts it (like clouds or a clumsy user like me....).

Good if it is improving! But I'd seriously give full frame and Linear at try.

Magnus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig, Paul Muller
3 years 6 months ago #59525

Time to create page: 2.104 seconds