INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Raspberry image download duration?

For a DSLR, I would finish focusing & astrometry, then I'd start my capture sequence. In-sequence-focusing for a DSLR, while possible, would be quite slow. Did you try to subframe the image? I think that would make it a lot faster.

I also think I should switch to "Client" mode if during focus/astrometry the upload was set to "local", and then switch it back after those operations are complete.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
8 years 7 months ago #4799

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 34
I will do that, and decrease subframe to 64. thanx :)
--= human, without Windows™ =--
pls excuse my bad english! :)
8 years 7 months ago #4800

• Thank you received: 375
I did some extensive testing of gphoto with my canon 600d and gave up using it for exactly same reason i.e. image download time. This problem is also present in astroberry distro.
The only workflow with a dslr and gphoto driver that is satisfactory is
1. Set image to low res jpg e.g. 640x480 and use fits file format with no compression enabled
2. Set upload to client
3. Focus and do astrometry
4. Set image to full res raw, native file format
5. Set upload to local
6. Do ccd sequence shooting
7. Redo everything from point 1 after slewing to another coordinates :-)

I believe that gpgoto driver should include another shooting mode i.e. native remote shutter which just releases shutter and leaves the rest to the camera as in normal operations (let the camera do what it's designed to). In such a case there is no transfers, conversions etc. just regular shooting.
As an alternative I'm considering developing the new dslr driver for just a remote shutter release (using available remote shutter camera port or usb port and gphoto library). In such a case all images can be transferred after imaging session from sd card as usuall or by gphoto download function.
8 years 7 months ago #4825

I'm plan to commit a change that would this process a bit easier. You can set it to "LOCAL" and Ekos will automatically switch to Client when it performs focus/astrometry.
8 years 7 months ago #4831

Slowly this is all getting to much complicated for me. I really think I will stop all that remote shooting, put mount and dslr back on my client and leave only focuser on raspberry pi for external manual focusing without ekos. I am totally confused by entering custom image dimensions and after exposure those values simply jump back. I also dont want to triple check every time if astrometry uses the right values from the "Image Info" tab to calculate the solver values. Also the exposure seems sometimes wrong. If I set 10 seconds it takes 30 seconds or so. This happened several times. Solution was to dis-&reconnect gphoto-ccd. Another Point is I lost connection to the server if I select "Large Fine Jpeg". I did not yet really tried Kaczorek's "workflow" I will try it next time but I swear it will be a pure mess without an useful yield of pictures in a reasonable time.
8 years 7 months ago #4833

• Thank you received: 375
Well, I ended up with the same decision for dslr camera. I'm doing remote shooting only with ccd.
I think there's a need for reviewing gphoto driver for blob handling, image compression and transfer as well as fits conversion. These are show stoppers for using gphoto driver with modern dslr with high resolution and large files. The only reasonable option for now is using local upload. This however prevents you from using focus and alignment. A partial solution would be development of indi astrometry driver to handle alignment on the server side (if nobody takes this challange I will).
None of these is necessary if transferring images from dslr for focusing and astrometry works ok.... and this would be the best solution.
BTW. I have never managed to successfuly use Large Fine Jpeg mode. Using RAW format works correctly but only in native mode (no conversion to fits).
8 years 7 months ago #4835

No need, I just made a change to Ekos where it will automatically switch to "client" upload if you're doing focusing/astrometry. After focusing/astrometry is complete, it will go back to local mode (if that was selected before).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radek Kaczorek
8 years 7 months ago #4836

What happens in both cases?
8 years 7 months ago #4840

Then I have to reconnect.
EDIT:
No crash.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by pauledd.
8 years 7 months ago #4841

Why dont download the raw directly to kstars and do the dcraw/fits conversion there instead of doing cpu intensive tasks on the raspi?
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by pauledd.
8 years 7 months ago #4842

I guess you're starting on the Raspberry PI? Do not forget to run INDI server with -m flag, e.g.
indiserver -v -m 100 indi_gphoto_ccd ...etc

This way INDI server does not disconnect if it is sending large amount of data (up to 100 MB) to the client.

But I found issues with reading JPEGs/raw due to dcraw reporting bogus values, and I'm now trying to come up with some "hackish" method to work around that.
8 years 7 months ago #4843

Ok, so I can read all image types either via FITS or natively now without any issues. The ONLY small issue is that the size is not reported for native images, only FITS. Tried to figure out the issue for a white before I gave up. The main problem was dcraw itself. So I downloaded and built the latest v9.26 and it worked fine. I made a dcraw package for raspberry pi that should be available in the daily raspberry pi image by tomorrow.
8 years 7 months ago #4850

Time to create page: 4.978 seconds